Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

ARTIMUS PYLE INTERVIEW - 24 October 1977 (4 Days After The Plane Crash)

Comments

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,906
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Thanks Taft!

The Netflix documentary on Skynard was good.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,075
    Founders Club

Thanks Taft!

i didn't know there was one. thank you I will check it out
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,952
    Swaye's Wigwam

Thud

The Convair CV-240 went thud? Dark shit, man.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Stalin, have a listen to the last track on A Southern Rock Opera by The Drive By Truckers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beVfVbX2aZw
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,906
    Founders Club

Thanks Taft!

I think it’s called if tomorrow never comes. Netflix also has a good ZZ Top documentary. I started watching the CCR documentary but fell asleep.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Thanks Taft!

I think it’s called if tomorrow never comes. Netflix also has a good ZZ Top documentary. I started watching the CCR documentary but fell asleep.
    Oh yes I posted about the ZZ Top documentary a year or two ago.
  • Options
    Founders Club

They said that album came out about four days before the crash. The record company quickly redid the cover to remove the flames.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Thanks Taft!

I watched it, it was great.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

They said that album came out about four days before the crash. The record company quickly redid the cover to remove the flames.
    Correct.

I always wonder how it would have played out for Skynyrd if the crash had not occurred. The first 2 albums are all timers, but the last three were all somewhat mediocre. Two or three greats tacks on each combined with some filler. They seemed to be trending downward.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Correct.

I always wonder how it would have played out for Skynyrd if the crash had not occurred. The first 2 albums are all timers, but the last three were all somewhat mediocre. Two or three greats tacks on each combined with some filler. They seemed to be trending downward.
    To my ears, they had two great songs and three good songs. The rest were meh
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    Pup was the inspiration for That Smell

From his incoherent posts formulated on Ludes to the prescient prediction "tomorrow might not be there for you (Pup)"

Pup in flames was on the original Street Surviors album cover but after the plane crash, Mods influenced record stores to pull the album with Pup for sale and new covers, sans Pup, were quickly substituted.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

Pup was the inspiration for That Smell

From his incoherent posts formulated on Ludes to the prescient prediction "tomorrow might not be there for you (Pup)"

Pup in flames was on the original Street Surviors album cover but after the plane crash, Mods influenced record stores to pull the album with Pup for sale and new covers, sans Pup, were quickly substituted.

There's too much coke and too many poundings
  • Options
    Founders Club

Correct.

I looked up the band members who survived the plane crash. 1-2 were dead around 50. Hard living catches up to you. There’s still a Skynard band in name out there but Ronnie was the most important member and without him, who cares?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Correct.

I looked up the band members who survived the plane crash. 1-2 were dead around 50. Hard living catches up to you. There’s still a Skynard band in name out there but Ronnie was the most important member and without him, who cares?
    I never paid any attention to the Johnny Van Zandt let LS tribute band. The band died in the plane crash.

My best guest is that they fade away Allman Brothers style- i.e., no longer artistically relevant post the 70s, but continue to be a popular concert draw.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,253
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Correct.

In retrospect, this has been my take as well. 76 was their high water mark for me, and that was when I started to get into them. That was when the live album came out (which still stands up today big time), and when they blew the Stones away at Knebworth. IMO, the last few albums were over-produced. It took the rawness out, which is what made them, for me.

From many accounts, Ronnie was getting his shit together, and working on the rest of them to do the same.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Fishpo31 said:

Correct.

In retrospect, this has been my take as well. 76 was their high water mark for me, and that was when I started to get into them. That was when the live album came out (which still stands up today big time), and when they blew the Stones away at Knebworth. IMO, the last few albums were over-produced. It took the rawness out, which is what made them, for me.

From many accounts, Ronnie was getting his shit together, and working on the rest of them to do the same.
    I read that Ronnie's daughter died a few years ago from cancer in her 30s.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Stalin, have a listen to the last track on A Southern Rock Opera by The Drive By Truckers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beVfVbX2aZw

Just listened to it. This is good 2AM heroin music, as you once said about me listening to Charlie Parker's "My Old Flame"
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

Correct.

The Stones were never on the Mt Rushmore of live bands. I would have rather seen Skynyrd live in '76 than the Stones in the same time period.