Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Nice guys finish…???

TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
Tuffguys around here like to wax nostalgic about the man-in-the-tower and pine for an old school hardass coach. But Urban is living proof that times have changed. Saban may turn out to be the last Bear Bryant-type we ever see win in CFB (and he obvs is in a class of his own).

Folks sneer at Petersen for being milquetoast. No doubt, Petersen hates the changes happening around CDB (NIL, portal, conference realignment, etc.). But make no mistake: Petersen would have cleaned up in the portal. All those guys he finished second with on the recruiting trail would look from afar at his sustained success and overall benevolence with envy.

Lake turned out to be the anti-Petersen. Exceptionally talented position coach, without question. But the dude was just a dick. Marcus Peters tried to choke him out. Kwiatkowski, who at one point took a volunteer demotion for the good of the program, decided he’d rather work for STEVE FUCKING SARKISIAN than Lake. The team staged a mutiny last year. Yet if not for Saint Ruperake, Lake would probably still be here steering this program straight to the bottom of Lake Washington. We’d be witnessing a portal mass exodus, and Dylan Morris have spent yesterday missing Jabez Tinae and some walk-on WRs on the way to a Sparty rout.

Which brings me to Kalen DeBoer. The early recruiting returns have been alarming, but he’s done great in the portal. The guy clearly has this team pointed in the right direction, and players around the country will notice that. They will also notice that this guy cares about his players and treats them with respect and benevolence. Amid all the bad comparisons between DeBoer and Petersen, the one major trait they actually seem to share is that neither treats/treated his players like shit.

In the long term, you don’t want to over-rely on the portal. To sustain success at Washington, DeBoer is going to need to learn how to go head-to-head with USC and Oregon for the top western recruits—and beat them. But DeBoer’s already showing he can win with Lake’s leftovers and a patchwork of portal guys. It’s impressive.

Penix may have the highest replacement value of any player in the country right now. But the MVP of this team is still Ruperake Fuavai.

Comments

• CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,047
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    In like 3 years UW should invite Lake to be honored at a game. When he walks on to the field a cage comes down around him, Pounds, Peters and Ruparke. He has to last the commercial break
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,604
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    I think he’ll go to the portal after this year for a qb.

If Penix stays healthy he gone.

Dmo and Sammy are not good enough my Kalen.
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,244
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

I spent most of my team reading this trying to figure out if it was sincere or a copypasta. You just don't know around here anymore.

Yeah, I didn't read that much into his comments. He basically said the focus is keeping Washington kids home and dominating California. He noted that the 5-star kids that USC wants will stay home. So what. How many five-star players does UW ever get from anywhere, let alone Southern California. Yet even still, there is so much talent there that UW should be able to stock its program with great players (a lot of them need a year or two in the program to develop -- that's going to be where DeBoner earns his keep).

He didn't really say anything that was surprising or worrisome, imho. It was basically a story about how he's gotten to where he is and why he's at Washington. The dude is confident. And the article noted the staff booted Glenn down to director of player development while making the Oregon guy (Henkle?) director of recruiting and a former Michigan guy as director of scouting. Bruce Harrell's daughter is director of on-campus recruiting.

So it sounds like the grown ups are in charge. (Except in the AD's chair, and until that changes, I'm not going to get my hopes up even though I'm doogin more than I have since Peterman first came on board.)

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2022
    dannarc said:

I spent most of my team reading this trying to figure out if it was sincere or a copypasta. You just don't know around here anymore.

Yeah, I didn't read that much into his comments. He basically said the focus is keeping Washington kids home and dominating California. He noted that the 5-star kids that USC wants will stay home. So what. How many five-star players does UW ever get from anywhere, let alone Southern California. Yet even still, there is so much talent there that UW should be able to stock its program with great players (a lot of them need a year or two in the program to develop -- that's going to be where DeBoner earns his keep).

He didn't really say anything that was surprising or worrisome, imho. It was basically a story about how he's gotten to where he is and why he's at Washington. The dude is confident. And the article noted the staff booted Glenn down to director of player development while making the Oregon guy (Henkle?) director of recruiting and a former Michigan guy as director of scouting. Bruce Harrell's daughter is director of on-campus recruiting.

So it sounds like the grown ups are in charge. (Except in the AD's chair, and until that changes, I'm not going to get my hopes up even though I'm doogin more than I have since Peterman first came on board.)

The last time UW got 5 stars from California they then went undefeated.

Stop living in the past post of the day!
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,657

dannarc said:

Recruit tuff winners who put mustard on their hot dogs or be satisfied with the ketchup also-rans.

• whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,428

dannarc said:

Shaq Thompson went undrafted?
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    There is no learning how to beat USC and Oregon or other programs for recruits...

Every offseason is now an unrestricted free agent portal scramble season and each schools NIL program is more important than any dinner a coach can have with mama at her house.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,264
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The wooshing in this thread is very refreshing.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Houhusky said:

There is no learning how to beat USC and Oregon or other programs for recruits...

Every offseason is now an unrestricted free agent portal scramble season and each schools NIL program is more important than any dinner a coach can have with mama at her house.

And that's why ATM is winning the Natty this year
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Houhusky said:

Canadawg said:

Houhusky said:

TAMU NIL program is exactly why they are signing every player they want regardless of their known shitty coaches' ability, thats the fucking point you syphilitic retard.
    Bored motto?
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TheHB said:

The wooshing in this thread is very refreshing.

It seems that whooshing has a positive correlation with 3-0 dooging.

It has been entertaining. I'll be one of the guilty ones if UW goes 5-0.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Houhusky said:

Canadawg said:

Houhusky said:

TAMU NIL program is exactly why they are signing every player they want regardless of their known shitty coaches' ability, thats the fucking point you syphilitic retard.
    Are they all DDY3s??
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,244
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

dannarc said: