Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Simote Pepa, 2019-2021 4* DT, South Jordan (Bingham), UT (Offered)

Comments

• Options
    biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,987
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Love me some Gaines, so I’m ok with it.
  • Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gladstone said:

@89ute why can't Whittingham get his in-state recruiting shit together?

Same reason Pete can't.

I'll put some stuff in the wam on this guy.

As far as keeping all the in-state kids ... that's pretty much much every coach/fan bases bitch unless you're a top 10 program.

It's frustrating, but at least I can say I'd be more frustrated if it were lesser schools pulling kids. People forget aside from California, Utah is producing a lot of western D1 talent. Someone, somewhere had some stat floating around, probably DDY, about recruits per capita or some shit, and Utah was very high. I can tell you this, in 1991 Utah produced 7 D1 players, in 2017 Utah produced 42.

So when Stanford, USC, Oregon and Notre Dame pull a kid out of Utah it's not terribly surprising unless you're stuck in the 90's mindset.

When it comes to D-line Polys, we can only go 3 or deep. It's always our deepest, most talented position group.

However, when I look at top 10 Utah high school recruits and I see how few we actually pull from that list, it pisses me off.

We have to finish better than middle of the pack before we can expect the lion's share of top in-state recruits. I'm a Doog so my answer is after next year when we face you guys for the second time.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    89ute said:

Gladstone said:

Same reason Pete can't.

As far as keeping all the in-state kids ... that's pretty much much every coach/fan bases bitch unless you're a top 10 program.

It's frustrating, but at least I can say I'd be more frustrated if it were lesser schools pulling kids. People forget aside from California, Utah is producing a lot of western D1 talent. Someone, somewhere had some stat floating around, probably DDY, about recruits per capita or some shit, and Utah was very high. I can tell you this, in 1991 Utah produced 7 D1 players, in 2017 Utah produced 42.

So when Stanford, USC, Oregon and Notre Dame pull a kid out of Utah it's not terribly surprising unless you're stuck in the 90's mindset.

When it comes to D-line Polys, we can only go 3 or deep. It's always our deepest, most talented position group.

However, when I look at top 10 Utah high school recruits and I see how few we actually pull from that list, it pisses me off.

We have to finish better than middle of the pack before we can expect the lion's share of top in-state recruits. I'm a Doog so my answer is after next year when we face you guys for the second time.
    I feel for you. That's a special kind of torture when you have all the good looking guys from other schools trying to take all the pretty girls from your school.

Yeah, you can only date 2-3 at any one time but still. That would piss me off.

At least in Washington we basically know which ones to take locally, if they don't fit then Washington state is their fall back plan. Just trying to fend off the ducks, Stanford and the la schools is the worry.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    89ute said:

Gladstone said:

Same reason Pete can't.

I think kids want to gtfo of Utah.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    Per Ektard:

Simote Pepa from Bingham (South Jordan, Ut.) High School is a natural nose tackle prospect whom the Huskies have started to pick things up with in recent weeks and it wouldn't be a surprise to see him visit later in the process.

Backup plan for Ika?
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117

Per Ektard:

Simote Pepa from Bingham (South Jordan, Ut.) High School is a natural nose tackle prospect whom the Huskies have started to pick things up with in recent weeks and it wouldn't be a surprise to see him visit later in the process.

Backup plan for Ika?

I think he's taking a mission. I love this kid and I would kill to get him when he's 20.
    2021 is going to be special!

No seriously, our DL will be ridiculous that year.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,472
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Per Ektard:

Backup plan for Ika?

I think he's taking a mission. I love this kid and I would kill to get him when he's 20.
    Have we ever successfully recruited a kid out of high school, had him take a mission, then proceed to keep his commitment and enroll?

Serious question, when I hear "they're going on a mission" my boner deflates.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Doogles said:

Per Ektard:

Backup plan for Ika?

Have we ever successfully recruited a kid out of high school, had him take a mission, then proceed to keep his commitment and enroll?

Jordan should enroll next January only time will tell
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,075
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

Per Ektard:

Backup plan for Ika?

There was the dude who committed to Neu and then got sent to like Ghana or some ... shit hole country, lost a ton of weight and I think was a back up while on campus.

Jordon Lolohea is in Detroit and his facebook profile still has him listed at UW. I think it's technically illegal for schools to recruit guys serving missions, but that isn't to say there is likely a strong push to go to BYU, Utah, or Utah State for kids.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,979
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Doogles said:

Per Ektard:

Backup plan for Ika?

There was the dude who committed to Neu and then got sent to like Ghana or some ... shit hole country, lost a ton of weight and I think was a back up while on campus.

Jordon Lolohea is in Detroit and his facebook profile still has him listed at UW. I think it's technically illegal for schools to recruit guys serving missions, but that isn't to say there is likely a strong push to go to BYU, Utah, or Utah State for kids.
    Will kava I think is the guy you are thinking of.
  • Options
    ToddTurnerLIVESToddTurnerLIVES Member Posts: 438
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    animate said:

Are we recruiting his cousin, Salta N. ?

I see what you did there
  • Options
    ToddTurnerLIVESToddTurnerLIVES Member Posts: 438
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

He looked great pass as a pass rusher coming out of HS. Assuming we get our plan D buck prospect(or none at all) in this class we basically need him to end up at UW.
  • Options

He looked great pass as a pass rusher coming out of HS. Assuming we get our plan D buck prospect(or none at all) in this class we basically need him to end up at UW.
    He most likely a DT unless he dropped weight down to 230
  • Options
    DomicilloDomicillo Member Posts: 3,025

• Options
    Domicillo said:

Kid was 257 or something when signed with us, u think he got smaller? He mostly likely at 275 by now. Too big for buck at that point.
  • Options
    DomicilloDomicillo Member Posts: 3,025

Domicillo said:

Kid was 257 or something when signed with us, u think he got smaller? He mostly likely at 275 by now. Too big for buck at that point.
    UW had him at 6’1 247 on NSD, and they went out of their way to call him a LB and stress his speed off the edge. If he gained 30 lbs on his 2 year mission as you claim then that’s what is it, but it’s not how they projected him.
    And even if he’s 275 now then hes as big as Benning is and should be dominant in the run with more pass rush ability of the edge.
  • Options
    Domicillo said:

Domicillo said:

UW had him at 6’1 247 on NSD, and they went out of their way to call him a LB and stress his speed off the edge. If he gained 30 lbs on his 2 year mission as you claim then that’s what is it, but it’s not how they projected him.
    And even if he’s 275 now then hes as big as Benning is and should be dominant in the run with more pass rush ability of the edge.
    Speaking from personal knowledge I have not see a poly guy get older or lose weight. They usually get bigger
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791

Domicillo said:

Domicillo said:

Speaking from personal knowledge I have not see a poly guy get older or lose weight. They usually get bigger
    They all usually end up looking like Tito from Rocket Power by the time they’re 40