Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

MyBush, Please Read

DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Do the needful and follow Georgia's and Alabama's example from last year.

Thanks in advance!

Your admirer,

Doog Shit

Comments

• Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,707
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Thanks in advance!

Your admirer,

Doog Shit

Teams that are winning tend to run the ball.
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,116
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Thanks in advance!

Your admirer,

Doog Shit

Sarkhahathatsnotme.gif
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,900
    Standard Supporter

Thanks in advance!

Your admirer,

Doog Shit

Well yeah...but still
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

Thanks in advance!

Your admirer,

Doog Shit

@LeachNeedsMoreTim true ??
  • Options

Thanks in advance!

Your admirer,

Doog Shit

dnc said:

Thanks in advance!

Your admirer,

Doog Shit

Yeah, raw numbers on this are useless for exactly this reason. I love this twatter account but to do real analysis you have to look at how often teams run in various game situations.
    This is fair critique of my poast. Teams that are winning do in fact tend to run the ball more to keep control and ice the game. The majority on that list sit in the mid 50% range and are likely perfect examples of that.

However, I was referencing Georgia's 68% and Alabama's 63% from last year because that is an abnormally high percentage of run to pass. While I admit I haven't done the legit analysis in regards to how those runs were used in various game situations, those two outliers lend themselves to the thought that the teams were favoring the run throughout the game.

Georgia had an unproven Freshman QB and leaned heavily on two senior RB to a tune of 44.9 runs to just 20.3 passes per game (per Sports Reference).

Alabama had an experience Sophomore QB who was well noted for his lack of passing ability and leaned heavily on the best stable of RB in the country to a tune of 43.7 runs to just 23.8 passes per game (per Sports Reference).

To me, that signals a focused strategy towards the team's strength of running it down opposing team's throats while limiting the passing game to ball control and lack of mistakes.

Being a fan of a team that has a lack of proven perimeter threats, a top target that just had ACL surgery, the most productive active RB in college, a bottle of lighting as a backup RB, and a QB who plays well when just managing a game but completely shits himself when asked to do anything more.....

Well I just figured these two teams would serve as a nice example that I'd like our? new offensive coordinator to follow since I'm sure he reads these boreds.
  • Options

Thanks in advance!

Your admirer,

Doog Shit

dnc said:

Thanks in advance!

Your admirer,

Doog Shit

Yeah, raw numbers on this are useless for exactly this reason. I love this twatter account but to do real analysis you have to look at how often teams run in various game situations.
    This is fair critique of my poast. Teams that are winning do in fact tend to run the ball more to keep control and ice the game. The majority on that list sit in the mid 50% range and are likely perfect examples of that.

However, I was referencing Georgia's 68% and Alabama's 63% from last year because that is an abnormally high percentage of run to pass. While I admit I haven't done the legit analysis in regards to how those runs were used in various game situations, those two outliers lend themselves to the thought that the teams were favoring the run throughout the game.

Georgia had an unproven Freshman QB and leaned heavily on two senior RB to a tune of 44.9 runs to just 20.3 passes per game (per Sports Reference).

Alabama had an experience Sophomore QB who was well noted for his lack of passing ability and leaned heavily on the best stable of RB in the country to a tune of 43.7 runs to just 23.8 passes per game (per Sports Reference).

To me, that signals a focused strategy towards the team's strength of running it down opposing team's throats while limiting the passing game to ball control and lack of mistakes.

Being a fan of a team that has a lack of proven perimeter threats, a top target that just had ACL surgery, the most productive active RB in college, a bottle of lighting as a backup RB, and a QB who plays well when just managing a game but completely shits himself when asked to do anything more.....

Well I just figured these two teams would serve as a nice example that I'd like our? new offensive coordinator to follow since I'm sure he reads these boreds.
    I read it.

Butt, entering @Tequilla territory, pal.

Butt still......

I was way more concise in comparison.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Not that I disagree about the focus for the Huskies this season hopefully being on the run, but consider what both teams in the above stats did when they came across a team they couldn't bully around: They threw the ball.

In the CFB Championship Game, Alabama brought in a true freshman specifically to try getting the passing game working, as Georgia was stoning the run. Hurts only threw eight passes, Tagovailoa came in and made 24 attempts. The QBs also combined for 18 rushing attempts, so how many of those were called passes? Georgia also collected four sacks. Since the final stat line was 39 runs to 32 passes, that's really 35:36 run:pass when accounting for sacks, never mind scrambles out of pass plays. Meaning Alabama, when facing a defense they couldn't just push over, went so far as to change quarterbacks and then throw a LOT. I'm not going to look up the run:pass ratio just after Tagovailoa came in, but it had to be at least 40:60.

Georgia stuck to the script a little better, but theirs was at least moderately working. The final stat line was 32:45, which is quite a big jump over their season average passingwise, but still pretty heavily slanted toward the run.

The strength of the Husky offense in 2019 will--on paper at this time--be the run. The offense should definitely operate with this in mind. Going "all in" on the run, though, is how even a team like Alabama loses a title, because that's what was happening before the drastic shift in philosophy in that game. Eventually a team will stop what you do best. What separates good from great is the answer to "Then what?"
  • Options
    uziuzi Member Posts: 1,298
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

Thanks in advance!

Your admirer,

Doog Shit

Exactly. When Browning runs backwards, on an obvious pass play, to evade defenders and gets sacked for a 15 yard loss, do those raw numbers count it as a run play?
  • Options
    jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Call me fucking crazy, but as a pure RB duo Gaskin/Ahmed at least approaches Chubb/Michel. There are holes that make this UW team less good from a talent perspective (fuck you Pease), but it's not as big of a gap as it could be perceived.

That being said, of course, we? do have a 4th year elite starter who will be the BEST QB in UW HISTORY!!!!!!>!>!!
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Call me fucking crazy, but as a pure RB duo Gaskin/Ahmed at least approaches Chubb/Michel. There are holes that make this UW team less good from a talent perspective (fuck you Pease), but it's not as big of a gap as it could be perceived.

That being said, of course, we? do have a 4th year elite starter who will be the BEST QB in UW HISTORY!!!!!!>!>!!

One superstar and one blossoming star at RBs. Tons of beast WTEs. Unproven and/or midget receivers. This shouldn't be rocket science for Bush.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    I prefer having the freshman QB pass 60 times while up several scores
  • Options
    CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    News fucking flash
    You run the ball, you control the clock. You control the clock, you control the game. You control the game, you force mistakes.

Jesus H Christ
  • Options
    LeachNeedsMoreTimLeachNeedsMoreTim Member Posts: 190
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    CaptainPJ said:

News fucking flash
    You run the ball, you control the clock. You control the clock, you control the game. You control the game, you force mistakes.

Jesus H Christ