Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW athletics financial picture

WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
I've been really curious about how the recent turnaround in football has impacted the UW AD financial forecast, and I noticed that they just released the updated numbers in the past week. I haven't spent a ton of time reading through this, but I wanted to beat @CokeGreaterThanPepsi in breaking the news. Unlike doogman, I'd rather be first than right.

The full report is here: I promise this isn't citrus
  • The overall financial projections keep getting better, although not to the degree we saw in FY17
  • We sold almost 46K season tickets last year, and donations to the program are way up
  • Basketball fell off a cliff, but because Hopkins is a good coach, we will be fine
  • It looks like they're assuming about $2M/year from the apparel deal, which seems low to me
  • They continue to talk about allowing beer & wine sales at Alaska Airlines Field at Husky Stadium™
With all that being said, Jake Browning still sucks and BBK is our starting middle linebacker.

Comments

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Holy fuck. I clicked the link. I'd rather have citrus than all that maff. Can someone just summarize all that shit and tell me if we are making money and stuff? TIA
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    46k season tickets. Jesus fucking Christ. Just shut the program down.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

I think it's $2.2M additional revenue for the apparel deal.

Royalties, Adv & Sponsorships:

FY19: $16,507,421
    FY20: $21,699,796
    FY21: $18,741,140

Assuming everything else in that category is constant, I'm guessing there is a signing bonus for the first year of the new deal (FY20). They are currently getting $3.5M/year. At $5.7M they are being very conservative and are planning on a new agreement with Nike. Oregon is getting $8M/year with Nike, I'd guess we'd be closer to just under that. Adidas is rumored to be offering close to $10M/year.

Yes, that's what I meant, but thank you for making my point much more eloquently. UCLA got $280M for 15 years and Michigan got $124M for 11 years, but some of that comes in the form of free apparel. My sense is that $8-10M/year is a reasonable estimate for what we'll get with the deal. Nike has the right to match, so whatever Adidas bids, we could theoretically force Nike to pay that amount per year.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,909
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

• Options
    BlowItUpBlowItUp Member Posts: 877
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Woof said:

Assuming everything else in that category is constant, I'm guessing there is a signing bonus for the first year of the new deal (FY20). They are currently getting $3.5M/year. At $5.7M they are being very conservative and are planning on a new agreement with Nike. Oregon is getting $8M/year with Nike, I'd guess we'd be closer to just under that. Adidas is rumored to be offering close to $10M/year.

Yes, that's what I meant, but thank you for making my point much more eloquently. UCLA got $280M for 15 years and Michigan got $124M for 11 years, but some of that comes in the form of free apparel. My sense is that $8-10M/year is a reasonable estimate for what we'll get with the deal. Nike has the right to match, so whatever Adidas bids, we could theoretically force Nike to pay that amount per year.
    5.7 is probably a good estimate in cash inflow, if not high. depending on the structure it's typically like 40% cash, 60% apparel so at 5.7 million in cash they are looking at a 10 million +/year deal. schools can arrange the agreement differently but Michigan's deal is 41% cash the rest comes in clothes/cleats/uniforms, etc.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,584
    The longer a woman is in charge the worse the financials will be

Simple fact

Case closed
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

Simple fact

Case closed

Between this and the Kendrick Lamar post I know you don't fuck
  • Options
    DawgWagonDanDawgWagonDan Member Posts: 789
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/nike-adidas-university-of-washington-athletics-closing-in-on-major-payday-with-new-apparel-deal/

Cohen Said:
    “We want to be with a partner that has an exciting brand, that resonates with students and with fans. That’s critical too,” she said. “We also want a partner that’s willing to invest in our success — someone that wants to see Washington win championships in all of our sports and is willing to support that vision and market that vision and go arm in arm with us. That’s the kind of edge we’re looking for, and those are the kinds of factors we’re evaluating when we make our final decision.” She also went on to say: "We? also want to partner with a company that knows how to make a fashionable and versatile black sleeve that both fans and recruits yern for."
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Swaye said:

Simple fact

Case closed

Normally I'd agree, but you must not have noticed that Jen Cohen throws those big floppies around like a hammer dong and crushes people like you.
    pic?
  • Options
    uziuzi Member Posts: 1,298

As I've said before, and I'm sure I'm not the only former season ticket holder.

I'm never buying season tickets again until the majority of our games start before 4pm.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/nike-adidas-university-of-washington-athletics-closing-in-on-major-payday-with-new-apparel-deal/

Cohen Said:
    “We want to be with a partner that has an exciting brand, that resonates with students and with fans. That’s critical too,” she said. “We also want a partner that’s willing to invest in our success — someone that wants to see Washington win championships in all of our sports and is willing to support that vision and market that vision and go arm in arm with us. That’s the kind of edge we’re looking for, and those are the kinds of factors we’re evaluating when we make our final decision.” She also went on to say: "We? also want to partner with a company that knows how to make a fashionable and versatile black sleeve that both fans and recruits yern for."

Always about the blicks (BBC) with Jen.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,584
    Swaye said:

Simple fact

Case closed

Normally I'd agree, but you must not have noticed that Jen Cohen throws those big floppies around like a hammer dong and crushes people like you.
    I would love to be crushed by them
  • Options

Cohen Said:

If Jood is right and we give Nike a hometown discount it will be the first wrong move Cohen has made. I don't care who we go with as long as they give us oodles of money. If our uniforms are ugly, it's our fault for not telling them what we want and approving their designs.
  • Options
    HUSKYFANATICHUSKYFANATIC Member Posts: 1,651
  • Options

Coming back to the financial outlook, from a cash perspective the forecast is pretty close to what the new deal is. From Jood: "Adidas has agreed to pay the Huskies $5.275 million annually in cash, $5.58 million annually in product and $1.1 million annually for marketing."

I presume that the $5.58M in product is primarily used to outfit our teams, although I know many deals include a significant amount of free apparel that is then sold by the university at almost 100% profit. If that's the case, I'm guessing gets us to the $2.2M bump annually, as the cash difference is only $1.725M.

I'm curious about what the $1.1M in marketing consists of. I did a quick scan through other recent mega deals and they have sweeteners like internships for students and t-shirts for student sections, but nothing about marketing that I could find.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,472
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Woof said:

Coming back to the financial outlook, from a cash perspective the forecast is pretty close to what the new deal is. From Jood: "Adidas has agreed to pay the Huskies $5.275 million annually in cash, $5.58 million annually in product and $1.1 million annually for marketing."

I presume that the $5.58M in product is primarily used to outfit our teams, although I know many deals include a significant amount of free apparel that is then sold by the university at almost 100% profit. If that's the case, I'm guessing gets us to the $2.2M bump annually, as the cash difference is only $1.725M.

I'm curious about what the $1.1M in marketing consists of. I did a quick scan through other recent mega deals and they have sweeteners like internships for students and t-shirts for student sections, but nothing about marketing that I could find.
    The article says the 3.5 million from Nike includes cash and product, so the actual cash amount increase would be greater. Assuming the Nike contact is split nearly 50/50 like the Adidas it would be more like a 3.5 Mill increase in cash annually.