Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I didn't read the article, but I'm guessing that they have a budget shortfall so this is their clever plan to hide behind the "reduce congestion and greenhouse gasses" stuff and rake in the money.

Would be nice if Port orchard did the same. Traffic was awful there 25 years ago and isn't any better now. They should put a toll on the new Tremont road work.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Dude61 said:

Design a city to create congestion, then tax the congestion you created.

Beatutiful.

All of Seattle’s traffic problems trace back to shitty highway design in the 60’s. All the I-5 entrances are poorly designed funnels, and so many of them lead to entering the highway on the left when you need to merge 4-5 lanes to the right within a half mile to exit. Nothing that can be changed about that now.

So their “solutions” are revenue driving taxes and mass transit systems that are being built at a snails pace.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,983
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    NEsnake12 said:

Dude61 said:

Beatutiful.

All of Seattle’s traffic problems trace back to shitty highway design in the 60’s. All the I-5 entrances are poorly designed funnels, and so many of them lead to entering the highway on the left when you need to merge 4-5 lanes to the right within a half mile to exit. Nothing that can be changed about that now.

So their “solutions” are revenue driving taxes and mass transit systems that are being built at a snails pace.
    It's irrelevant to the discussion at hand, but I remember reading some of the accounts of I-5 being built through downtown Seattle. Restaurants, businesses and homes that had been there for decades were razed to make way for the cement asphalt mixers. @RaceBannon might be able to describe what that time was like since he lived through it.
  • Options

NEsnake12 said:

Dude61 said:

Beatutiful.

It's irrelevant to the discussion at hand, but I remember reading some of the accounts of I-5 being built through downtown Seattle. Restaurants, businesses and homes that had been there for decades were razed to make way for the cement asphalt mixers. @RaceBannon might be able to describe what that time was like since he lived through it.
    That and they built a convention center over the freeway, essentially making it where you can't expand and right there it's basically 2 Lanes each way.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,328
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The head of Washington State Transportation in the 60's when the 5 was completed was a regular at our house at the parent's bridge club. The state wanted to put the 5 through Yelm and avoid the bottle neck with a spur to Tacoma and Seattle. Downtown merchants put an end to it. The two lanes downtown was by design to encourage people to drive through town and spend money

We were transitioning from the 99 that went through every town to these new freeway things and every town freaked out about it
  • Options
    DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    2001400ex said:

NEsnake12 said:

Dude61 said:

Beatutiful.

That and they built a convention center over the freeway, essentially making it where you can't expand and right there it's basically 2 Lanes each way.
    Turns out it’s a great urban camping site for those who don’t have the ability to camp elsewhere.
  • Options

The head of Washington State Transportation in the 60's when the 5 was completed was a regular at our house at the parent's bridge club. The state wanted to put the 5 through Yelm and avoid the bottle neck with a spur to Tacoma and Seattle. Downtown merchants put an end to it. The two lanes downtown was by design to encourage people to drive through town and spend money

We were transitioning from the 99 that went through every town to these new freeway things and every town freaked out about it

Same thing more recently up in Sequim. All the pro business nutcases said the bypass would kill the downtown. But reality is, downtown is better than ever and there's been a shit ton of jobs added from new businesses and expansion of existing business there.

Too many people think about route 66 and forget it went through shitholes like Oklahoma and the middle of nowhere in New Mexico and Arizona.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    2001400ex said:

Same thing more recently up in Sequim. All the pro business nutcases said the bypass would kill the downtown. But reality is, downtown is better than ever and there's been a shit ton of jobs added from new businesses and expansion of existing business there.

Too many people think about route 66 and forget it went through shitholes like Oklahoma and the middle of nowhere in New Mexico and Arizona.
    It's funny that it was never the modern freeway that these brick and mortals should have been worried about. They should have been worried about the technological freeway that spawned Amazon.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,833
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Should have built the RH Thompson Freeway
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,833
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I've never understood this. When I was a kid (late 80s/early 90s), the population hovered around 500,000. Now with Amazon tech dorks, other tech dorks, and medical research companies, it's around 660,000 and that's conservative. Other than a train to the airport and now UW, there's no new infrastructure that actually helps. Everyone will bike (weather is shit or at best questionable9-10 months per year) or take a metro bus like magic. No, they won't. Now they're taking away I 90 lanes for trains. Genius.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited April 2018
    Trains are okay because non-poor people will take them.

Buses became a symbol of the ghetto folk for too long to change.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

I've never understood this. When I was a kid (late 80s/early 90s), the population hovered around 500,000. Now with Amazon tech dorks, other tech dorks, and medical research companies, it's around 660,000 and that's conservative. Other than a train to the airport and now UW, there's no new infrastructure that actually helps. Everyone will bike (weather is shit or at best questionable9-10 months per year) or take a metro bus like magic. No, they won't. Now they're taking away I 90 lanes for trains. Genius.

But How is Seattle a shit City to live in?
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    salemcoog said:

No one wants to live in Seattle. It’s too crowded and expensive.

#CoogEcon
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    salemcoog said:

Mooooooooove!
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,983
    Founders Club

Trains are okay because non-poor people will take them.

Buses became a symbol of the ghetto folk for too long to change.

What about a Starbucks fleet of busses earmarked for the high tech industry
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,745
    Liberal planning is like putting the condom on when your done banging.