Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Patrick Utschinski, 2* 2019 OT, Walla Walla (HS), WA

So, there's a kid on the East Side that Huff has gotten interested in. From what I understand, last year was his first year playing football.

He's 6'6, 270 and not at all fat. Probably would play close to 315 in college. His coach thinks he has a high upside, but is pretty raw right now.

I'm not sure we'll offer, but any time we get interested in local kids, I think it's noteworthy.

Here's his hudl: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6018420/59ac20bb9a91a209e4e8d230

Comments

• Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,084
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Looks like Jaxson Kirkland. Nasty.
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    He might be raw, but he plays like an asshole. I like him. I don't believe those measurements, though.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

He might be raw, but he plays like an asshole. I like him. I don't believe those measurements, though.

No - the measurements are real. I'm sure about that.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

No - the measurements are real. I'm sure about that.
    I think he's referring to the 6'7" 280 listed in the video
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    He’s 6’6, 270, so close enough.
  • Options
    HUSKYFANATICHUSKYFANATIC Member Posts: 1,651
    Probably has Russian mob family ties. Maybe even conceived at WSP on a special visit between mom and dad.
  • Options
    SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,803
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Ustchincredible?
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Ustchinnovative
  • Options
    ToddTurnerLIVESToddTurnerLIVES Member Posts: 438
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    So the in-state O line class is Kalepo, Elder and this kid? They all look to have really high ceilings. It would be pretty crazy if our O line recruits all came from in state.
  • Options
    I hope he gets an offer if most of the offered OT's look elsewhere. This guy was made in a lab.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    You'd love for a kid like this to stay under the radar enough to be a preferred walk-on ... I doubt that that happens.

This is where it becomes a really fine line with our recruiting:

I would NEVER advocate that we take an in-state kid that has some project in him just because he's in-state unless we are certain that after that project bears fruit that he's every bit as good as a higher end recruit that we could be getting.

I still think that you continue to swing for the fences with elite guys on the West Coast and into Texas and see how that progresses. At the same time, you continue building this relationship and be his biggest fan while he develops. If he hits the point where the gap between where he is and where he needs to get to narrows enough where the project isn't as sizeable, then I think you go ahead and offer. If you play your cards right, you can come in strong at the end and pull him if and as needed.

The reality is that we are big game hunting for national titles caliber players. While I love watching guys develop and turn into elite players, we don't have as much room for those players on our roster given that we're drawing increased interest from already elite players.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

You'd love for a kid like this to stay under the radar enough to be a preferred walk-on ... I doubt that that happens.

Idk I think there is a good chance. He does live in fucking Walla Walla....
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,084
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Tequilla said:

Idk I think there is a good chance. He does live in fucking Walla Walla....
    Bleenor??
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I’m not a huge fan of grayshirting in our position for a few reasons:

1) highly unlikely that anybody we want to gray shirt doesn’t have at least a handful of P12 offers

2) is an additional year going to make better than a recruit next year? It’s essentially bird in hand theory question.

3) what if the project doesn’t develop?

Where I would be on board is if we ever find ourselves in a position where we may max out a class and need to push numbers and/or when there is an injury issue in place where starting the clock makes zero sense