Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Fighting Romars vs Tree game thread

124»

Comments

• Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Domicillo said:

dawgs206 said:

2001400ex said:

dawgs206 said:

dawgs206 said:

The team is ok. Guard play is way ahead of what our bigs are bringing. Timmins wouldn't start on any top 25 team and Dickerson is inconsistent and at a physical disadvantage against elite bigs. It will be another couple of years but I like they way we play and we are seeing young talent develop. Hopkins has definitely got the team playing much more disciplined basketball than under Romar....

Whether timmins would start for a top 25 team is irrelevant. Whether he's making positive contributions to the team is what matters. We have enough scoring on the wings and dont' need some dominate center. I don't agree dickerson is at a huge disadvantage against most teams. Sure, if you're talking the top 5 teams in teh nation than of course, but the other 20 in the top 25 all have their warts.

The biggest fallacy is that there are a lot of posts in basketball at any level. There aren't a shit ton of good bigs in the NBA, let alone D1 basketball. At the college level the vast majority are developed. That's where Romar was such a joke. He couldn't develop anyone and yet would bring in projects.
    I guess I should qualify my use of the word "ok" to describe this team. When I say "ok" I mean that we are a fringe top 25 team. At this point I would be really surprised if we didn't make the tournament. The Pac 12 is weak so that should help us stay in the top 25 even though our RPI will be relatively low compared to teams in better conferences. Our out of conference schedule was was good so that should help.

Not having good forwards isn't a problem until it is. If I remember correctly we struggled against Utah last year in large part because our bigs couldn't defend theirs and weren't scoring. Part of being just an "ok" team versus and good team is that you have holes and our bigs are a hole for us. There will be games where Nowell or Carter will be hurt or will struggle to score and their points will need to come from somewhere else. Timmins and Dickerson haven't shown that they can be consistent scorers or defenders. Dickerson in particular is foul prone.
    Our? Current RPI is 28, which is higher than I would have guessed. Our? best win is San Diego (#81). Real Time RPI projected our win/loss at 22-8 (13-4). RPI at 33 and SOS at 84 in this scenario. That looks like a team squarely on the bubble most years so we can probably only have 2-3 PAC losses at most to feel comfortably in.

We? need to sweep the Oregon schools (UO #90, OSU #79) on the road and hope a few Pac-12 teams separate themselves from the rest and raise their RPI. There aren’t any other PAC-12 teams in the top 50 RPI so getting a marquee win is going to be tough. Unless we? pretty much just roll through the conference I think we’ll always be a bubble team since there is a decent chance we’ll? have 0 wins to hang our? hat on. Not getting a W against Minnesota or Gonzaga really hurt with how shitty the conference is this year.
    RPI is dead
    Forgot that isn’t used anymore. Probably hurts us honestly.

“Notable wins” is still a thing and right now we? don’t have much. No bad losses. Need to improve our? road record and hope 3 or so teams emerge in the PAC so we? can get some okay wins.

It’s hard to tell how good we? are. Lost to every team with a pulse, though two games were close. Beat everyone we? should, but we’ve also played the bottom 5 teams in conference.
    We are #40 in the NET rankings.

Would have been nice to not get screwed in the Minnesota and Gonzaga games on fucking horrible calls.
    Right behind Murray St. And just ahead of Utah St and Lipscomb.
    doogitup.gif?
    BTP leads the charge in basketball Doogin. MentionIng next year is a title team and our “good” depth while naming a bunch of guys that haven’t played college basketball outside of Timmins and Wright. Agree with BTP that next year could be fun, but easy young blood.
    To be fair, bringing in Green, Stewart, McDaniels & Battle in a single class is like an elite Duke or Kentucky class. Throw in the idea of Nowell staying, alongside Naz and Wright like he's theorizing and you've easily got one of the best top sixes in the country (Green/Nowell/Carter/McDaniels/Stewart/Wright).

The depth piece is harder to validate until we see more from Bey and Timmins, but if Bey is what most thought he could be out of high school and Timmins can sustain this recent level of play, that's a rotation that I could see winning 4 or 5 games in the tournament. I mean with this style they play it'd be hard not to, the structure of this specific zone is built for tournaments. Syracuse went to the final four as a 10 seed two years ago, with a team that was far less talented and just as young as this one would be.

Sure it's a lot of ifs to get to that complete roster he listed. And I'd argue it's probably more likely than not that one of (if not both) McDaniels or Nowell are not on the team next year, but I don't think it's doogin at all to say that the roster BTP listed would be championship caliber.
    I agree with a lot of this. Wanted to comment on Naz. He is athletic and all. But he needs to spend a lot of time in a gym honing his skills. Every now and then he flashes with a sweet play. But he needs to learn to play like that on a consistent basis.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    If Nowell leaves or McDaniels goes to UK it’s a sweet 16 at best.
  • Options
    dawgs206dawgs206 Member Posts: 482
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    Domicillo said:

dawgs206 said:

2001400ex said:

dawgs206 said:

dawgs206 said:

The team is ok. Guard play is way ahead of what our bigs are bringing. Timmins wouldn't start on any top 25 team and Dickerson is inconsistent and at a physical disadvantage against elite bigs. It will be another couple of years but I like they way we play and we are seeing young talent develop. Hopkins has definitely got the team playing much more disciplined basketball than under Romar....

Whether timmins would start for a top 25 team is irrelevant. Whether he's making positive contributions to the team is what matters. We have enough scoring on the wings and dont' need some dominate center. I don't agree dickerson is at a huge disadvantage against most teams. Sure, if you're talking the top 5 teams in teh nation than of course, but the other 20 in the top 25 all have their warts.

The biggest fallacy is that there are a lot of posts in basketball at any level. There aren't a shit ton of good bigs in the NBA, let alone D1 basketball. At the college level the vast majority are developed. That's where Romar was such a joke. He couldn't develop anyone and yet would bring in projects.
    I guess I should qualify my use of the word "ok" to describe this team. When I say "ok" I mean that we are a fringe top 25 team. At this point I would be really surprised if we didn't make the tournament. The Pac 12 is weak so that should help us stay in the top 25 even though our RPI will be relatively low compared to teams in better conferences. Our out of conference schedule was was good so that should help.

Not having good forwards isn't a problem until it is. If I remember correctly we struggled against Utah last year in large part because our bigs couldn't defend theirs and weren't scoring. Part of being just an "ok" team versus and good team is that you have holes and our bigs are a hole for us. There will be games where Nowell or Carter will be hurt or will struggle to score and their points will need to come from somewhere else. Timmins and Dickerson haven't shown that they can be consistent scorers or defenders. Dickerson in particular is foul prone.
    Our? Current RPI is 28, which is higher than I would have guessed. Our? best win is San Diego (#81). Real Time RPI projected our win/loss at 22-8 (13-4). RPI at 33 and SOS at 84 in this scenario. That looks like a team squarely on the bubble most years so we can probably only have 2-3 PAC losses at most to feel comfortably in.

We? need to sweep the Oregon schools (UO #90, OSU #79) on the road and hope a few Pac-12 teams separate themselves from the rest and raise their RPI. There aren’t any other PAC-12 teams in the top 50 RPI so getting a marquee win is going to be tough. Unless we? pretty much just roll through the conference I think we’ll always be a bubble team since there is a decent chance we’ll? have 0 wins to hang our? hat on. Not getting a W against Minnesota or Gonzaga really hurt with how shitty the conference is this year.
    RPI is dead

“Notable wins” is still a thing and right now we? don’t have much. No bad losses. Need to improve our? road record and hope 3 or so teams emerge in the PAC so we? can get some okay wins.

It’s hard to tell how good we? are. Lost to every team with a pulse, though two games were close. Beat everyone we? should, but we’ve also played the bottom 5 teams in conference.

Would have been nice to not get screwed in the Minnesota and Gonzaga games on fucking horrible calls.
    doogitup.gif?
    BTP leads the charge in basketball Doogin. MentionIng next year is a title team and our “good” depth while naming a bunch of guys that haven’t played college basketball outside of Timmins and Wright. Agree with BTP that next year could be fun, but easy young blood.
    To be fair, bringing in Green, Stewart, McDaniels & Battle in a single class is like an elite Duke or Kentucky class. Throw in the idea of Nowell staying, alongside Naz and Wright like he's theorizing and you've easily got one of the best top sixes in the country (Green/Nowell/Carter/McDaniels/Stewart/Wright).

The depth piece is harder to validate until we see more from Bey and Timmins, but if Bey is what most thought he could be out of high school and Timmins can sustain this recent level of play, that's a rotation that I could see winning 4 or 5 games in the tournament. I mean with this style they play it'd be hard not to, the structure of this specific zone is built for tournaments. Syracuse went to the final four as a 10 seed two years ago, with a team that was far less talented and just as young as this one would be.

Sure it's a lot of ifs to get to that complete roster he listed. And I'd argue it's probably more likely than not that one of (if not both) McDaniels or Nowell are not on the team next year, but I don't think it's doogin at all to say that the roster BTP listed would be championship caliber.
    I was mainly just messing with BTP. The team would be insanely talented.

It’d still be a tick below Duke or Kentucky classes. They’ve been on another planet recruiting the last few years. Usually 4-5 top 20 or 30 guys per class. It’d be 3rd in the PAC-12 behind SC and Zona, but in this scenario we’d? have older guys to pair them with.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    dawgs206 said:

Domicillo said:

dawgs206 said:

2001400ex said:

dawgs206 said:

dawgs206 said:

RPI is dead

doogitup.gif?

I was mainly just messing with BTP. The team would be insanely talented.

It’d still be a tick below Duke or Kentucky classes. They’ve been on another planet recruiting the last few years. Usually 4-5 top 20 or 30 guys per class. It’d be 3rd in the PAC-12 behind SC and Zona, but in this scenario we’d? have older guys to pair them with.
    Mixing two top 5 players with arguably a top 10 guard in Nowell, a great college PG in Quade Green, and an athletic bucket getter in Naz is why I think they’d be the best team in the PAC-12. Lots of size and length coming on the bench. I think Battle can slot into the Dom Green if he gets it on the defensive side early. He brings more bounce and better ball handling than Green. May be a better shooter as well. Just need to close McDaniels and get Nowell to stay!