Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    edited November 2018
    Make a better product and people will buy it...
  • RedRocketRedRocket Member Posts: 1,527

GM thinks that product is Electric and Autonomous vehicles. I'm sure many on here will support this rationale.

Unrelated but this company called Rivian unveiled an electric truck that (they claim) will do 0-60 in 3 seconds and tow 11,000 lbs. It's pretty cool but I wouldn't dump 70k to guinea pig it.

https://electrek.co/2018/11/26/rivian-r1t-all-electric-pickup-specs/
  • CrawfishCrawfish Member Posts: 734

Next, you are going to tell me you're ok with laying off coal miners because natural gas is a better product than coal.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    RedRocket said:

GM thinks that product is Electric and Autonomous vehicles. I'm sure many on here will support this rationale.

Unrelated but this company called Rivian unveiled an electric truck that (they claim) will do 0-60 in 3 seconds and tow 11,000 lbs. It's pretty cool but I wouldn't dump 70k to guinea pig it.

$100k for the top model. I personally think this is vaporware. Problem is, a tow vehicle usually needs to go more than 400 miles in a day. And I doubt you can get 400 miles while loaded. Not to mention GVWR issues with battery packs.

That being said, I'm glad to see companies push the envelope. I just wish they also did this with CNG vehicles.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    edited November 2018

General Motors announced Monday that it would cease production of the hybrid electric plug-in Volt and its gas-powered sister car the Cruze. The announcement came as part of a larger restructuring by the car company as it seeks to focus production around the bigger vehicles in favor with U.S. consumers.
    2001400ex said:

RedRocket said:

$100k for the top model. I personally think this is vaporware. Problem is, a tow vehicle usually needs to go more than 400 miles in a day. And I doubt you can get 400 miles while loaded. Not to mention GVWR issues with battery packs.

That being said, I'm glad to see companies push the envelope. I just wish they also did this with CNG vehicles.
    All the specs seem inflated but I'm interested to see what happens when it rolls out in 2020. Could be a load of shit but glad to see a company take a stab at an EV that isnt a daily driver type.
    RedRocket said:

2001400ex said:

RedRocket said:

All the specs seem inflated but I'm interested to see what happens when it rolls out in 2020. Could be a load of shit but glad to see a company take a stab at an EV that isnt a daily driver type.
    Well eventually we will have batteries that weigh 10% of what they do now. And can run for hours on a 10 minute charge. We need the infrastructure for that day. Tho that technology doesn't appear to be available any time soon.
    2001400ex said:

RedRocket said:

2001400ex said:

RedRocket said:

Well eventually we will have batteries that weigh 10% of what they do now. And can run for hours on a 10 minute charge. We need the infrastructure for that day. Tho that technology doesn't appear to be available any time soon.
    It's a long way off before batteries become that efficient. Large scale battery storage would transform the entire energy industry. By the time we get there the grid could be totally different.

The infrastructure for EV doesn't need to change much to handle most day to day driving. People will just use home chargers. A volt can switch between electric for daily driving and gas for longer trips. The grid, right now, might not be able to handle everyone plugging in at same time but I don't think lack of public charging infrastructure is that limiting.
    Ain’t happening on a volt. They’re now a footnote in history
    RedRocket said:

2001400ex said:

RedRocket said:

2001400ex said:

RedRocket said:

It's a long way off before batteries become that efficient. Large scale battery storage would transform the entire energy industry. By the time we get there the grid could be totally different.

The infrastructure for EV doesn't need to change much to handle most day to day driving. People will just use home chargers. A volt can switch between electric for daily driving and gas for longer trips. The grid, right now, might not be able to handle everyone plugging in at same time but I don't think lack of public charging infrastructure is that limiting.
    I'm surprised no manufacturer has come out with a good solution to power the vehicle fully with batteries yet have an on board generator to charge the batteries real time if needed on long trips. I've driven a Ford fusion hybrid recently and it only got 38 mpg on a highway trip. Crazy a hybrid gets less MPG than a 90s geo metro.
    Crawfish said:

Next, you are going to tell me you're ok with laying off coal miners because natural gas is a better product than coal.
    There is still use for coal, but yes, coal has become an outdated, more expensive source of fuel. Some of the miners will have to be reskilled in natural gas. Just like railroad workers, phone line installers, and phone operators, some jobs become obsolete. It’s our job to give these people access to training for a different more opportunity driven occupation.
    2001400ex said:

RedRocket said:

Not to mention it looks dumb as hell.

The battery needed to make a tow vehicle widely accepted would price the vehicle out of affordability. You would be looking at a $120k to $150k truck. The fuel savings doesn’t make up for the high cost, on top of the electric vehicle tax credits coming off.

I think mastering electric powered semi trucks and making them affordable would do a lot more good.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346
    2001400ex said:

RedRocket said:

2001400ex said:

RedRocket said:

2001400ex said:

RedRocket said:

I'm surprised no manufacturer has come out with a good solution to power the vehicle fully with batteries yet have an on board generator to charge the batteries real time if needed on long trips. I've driven a Ford fusion hybrid recently and it only got 38 mpg on a highway trip. Crazy a hybrid gets less MPG than a 90s geo metro.
    https://nikolamotor.com/motor
    2001400ex said:

RedRocket said:

2001400ex said:

RedRocket said:

2001400ex said:

RedRocket said:

I’m surprised that even though Obama fucked up so badly with his Soviet style support of GM as the auto manufacturer to be celebrated and emulated yet none of his supporters on this site are willing to acknowledge how wrong he is/was.

2001400ex said:

RedRocket said:

2001400ex said:

RedRocket said:

2001400ex said:

RedRocket said:

I’m surprised that even though Obama fucked up so badly with his Soviet style support of GM as the auto manufacturer to be celebrated and emulated yet none of his supporters on this site are willing to acknowledge how wrong he is/was.
    How did I know, you of all people, would find a way to bag on Obama in the middle of a technology thread. STFU.
    edited November 2018
    “GM Cuts Production” (original title)

“General Motors announced Monday that it would cease production of the hybrid electric plug-in Volt and its gas-powered sister car the Cruze. The announcement came as part of a larger restructuring by the car company as it seeks to focus production around the bigger vehicles in favor with U.S. consumers.” (direct quote from link provided by you)

“General Motors announced Monday that it would cease production of the hybrid electric plug-in Volt and its gas-powered sister car the Cruze. The announcement came as part of a larger restructuring by the car company as it seeks to focus production around the bigger vehicles in favor with U.S. consumers.” (direct quote from link provided by you)

You are correct, while it morphed into a technology discussion, it started as a GM is laying off workers thread. Still, WTF does that have to do with Obama?
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,171 Standard Supporter

Politics of Obingo caused this mess. The Volt sucks. Range is short and the gas motor does not directly power the car via a mechanical drive line. Ask someone who owns one what happens when the battery dies and it's powered by the motor. It is just a generator and doesn't get the job done. The Cruz gets canceled as they are the same platform and the production numbers become too small to be profitable.

Us Americans like big honking trucks and SUV's with big room and big power. All you greenies can fuck off!