Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

HERE COME THE DAWGS!!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,892
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Alexis said:

Was at ASU/UCLA last week. Stadium was half full. Never made noise until 30 seconds left. And that's with being able to buy beer there. It's not only a UW problem.

That being said (JBS) some reasons why UW will never get the crowd back:

The student population. UW years ago realized two things, the local jock who gets a 3.6 in HS and grew up watching UW no longer has the option of going to his dream school. He is now at CWU, or ASU. and

The local student who has the grades to come to UW, and will live here after graduation, thus purchasing season tickets down the road, is now pushed out by out of state enrollees who will head back to California, or South Dakota, or whatever hellhole they came from after graduation because their tuition looks alot better on the coffers. also

Asians don't care about foosball. and finally

The local grads who have enough money to purchase large groups of season tickets are tech nerds who wouldn't know what to do at a football game. Gone are the days when the car dealers and contractors would have 8 tyee tickets and give them to their clients, or their drunk ass salesmen or sub contractors who were just excited to get to go and get hammered on a Saturday.

3.6 to get into UDub back in the day? Ah shit...I got in with a 3.2 and out of state to boot. Public Ivy my arse (hi @creepycoug ).
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Alexis said:

Was at ASU/UCLA last week. Stadium was half full. Never made noise until 30 seconds left. And that's with being able to buy beer there. It's not only a UW problem.

The student population. UW years ago realized two things, the local jock who gets a 3.6 in HS and grew up watching UW no longer has the option of going to his dream school. He is now at CWU, or ASU. and

The local student who has the grades to come to UW, and will live here after graduation, thus purchasing season tickets down the road, is now pushed out by out of state enrollees who will head back to California, or South Dakota, or whatever hellhole they came from after graduation because their tuition looks alot better on the coffers. also

The local grads who have enough money to purchase large groups of season tickets are tech nerds who wouldn't know what to do at a football game. Gone are the days when the car dealers and contractors would have 8 tyee tickets and give them to their clients, or their drunk ass salesmen or sub contractors who were just excited to get to go and get hammered on a Saturday.

You overestimate how hard it is to get into UW. You are well within the range with a 3.6. A 3.7 or better pretty much locks it with a decent (not great) test score.

I think the point in your last paragraph is on to something.
  • Options

Alexis said:

3.6 to get into UDub back in the day? Ah shit...I got in with a 3.2 and out of state to boot. Public Ivy my arse (hi @creepycoug ).
    I got in w/ something south of 3.6 and north of 3.2, but zero challenging courses ... zero. That is probably the part that has changed the most in 25 + years. That advanced / honors / IB shit barely existes, and you sure as hell didn't need it. Back then, you read the application and made sure you had the requisite subjects and semesters taken and that was it. Now for any even remotely competitive school, you need hard classes.

But for UW in-state - and take this free advice or leave it - if your kid is struggling to hit that 3.7 w/o super tuff classes, back off tuff and get the GPA. It's a quick scan in the admissions department.

If your kid wants Whitman, you have to stick with the tuff courses. Whitty won't let you in with a padded 3.9. Will. Not. Happen. UW will.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Academis.

I knew we'd wind up here eventually.

lol
  • Options
    dflea said:

Academis.

lol

That thing with your brother scarred you badly my freng.

Ts & Ps.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

dflea said:

Academis.

lol

Ts & Ps.
    lol

Well, he's dead and I'm not, so who's the fucking genius now?

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Alexis said:

I got in w/ something south of 3.6 and north of 3.2, but zero challenging courses ... zero. That is probably the part that has changed the most in 25 + years. That advanced / honors / IB shit barely existes, and you sure as hell didn't need it. Back then, you read the application and made sure you had the requisite subjects and semesters taken and that was it. Now for any even remotely competitive school, you need hard classes.

But for UW in-state - and take this free advice or leave it - if your kid is struggling to hit that 3.7 w/o super tuff classes, back off tuff and get the GPA. It's a quick scan in the admissions department.

If your kid wants Whitman, you have to stick with the tuff courses. Whitty won't let you in with a padded 3.9. Will. Not. Happen. UW will.
    Not a lot of AP courses out in the logging camps I take it?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Alexis said:

This, years of losing, big screen TV’s, and every game being televised.
  • Options

Alexis said:

None. Down in the Harb AP stood for ... wait, I'll think of something clever like emotionalmikeseaver would. Just give me a few days.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Alexis said:

None. Down in the Harb AP stood for ... wait, I'll think of something clever like emotionalmikeseaver would. Just give me a few days.
    A good ole Abderdeen Pegging?
  • Options

Alexis said:

A good ole Abderdeen Pegging?
    Not skrong enuff. Not witty enuff. I'm working on it.
  • Options
    dflea said:

dflea said:

Academis.

lol

Ts & Ps.
    lol

Well, he's dead and I'm not, so who's the fucking genius now?

Welp, there's that.