Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Petersen’s problem is that he thinks he is the smartest guy in the room.

PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
edited October 2018 in Hardcore Husky Board
At least Don James knew in 1988 that he had to learn some new things. So he went out and did it.

Petersen’s problem is that he thinks he is the smartest guy in the room and his smugness shows. You can see it in press conferences. It may also why he thinks he is “above” these football training academies when it comes to recruiting.

My wife turned to me at the end of the game when Petersen was stupidly letting the clock wind down and she asked, “Doesn’t the Husky kicker suck? Why is he (Petersen) not still driving the ball?”

It’s because Petersen thinks he is too fucking smart and he winds up fucking himself and his team.

Smartest thing Jude ever wrote:

Is it time to start questioning Chris Petersen’s big-game methods?

Late-game clock-management issues have surfaced before for Petersen (see: Arizona, 2014, a loss that remains a sore subject for the head coach). Some have argued that it is “reasonable” to expect a college kicker to make a 37-yard field goal, as was the setup for Peyton Henry on Saturday in Eugene. Perhaps. But a coach in that moment needs to weigh all factors, and in that moment that kick was probably never better than a 50-50 proposition for the Huskies.

Comments

• Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,091
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Passion said:

At least Don James knew in 1988 that he had to learn some new things. So he went out and did it.

Petersen’s problem is that he thinks he is the smartest guy in the room and his smugness shows. You can see it in press conferences.

My wife turned to me at the end of the game when Petersen was stupidly letting the clock wind down and she asked, “Doesn’t the Husky kicker suck? Why is he (Petersen) not still driving the ball?”

It’s because Petersen thinks he is too fucking smart and he winds up fucking himself and his team.

Late-game clock-management issues have surfaced before for Petersen (see: Arizona, 2014, a loss that remains a sore subject for the head coach). Some have argued that it is “reasonable” to expect a college kicker to make a 37-yard field goal, as was the setup for Peyton Henry on Saturday in Eugene. Perhaps. But a coach in that moment needs to weigh all factors, and in that moment that kick was probably never better than a 50-50 proposition for the Huskies.

Completely agree. I was thinking about James when he knew he needed to get speed. I really hope Petersen figures it out too. He definitely thinks he knows best and while he is really good at a large number of things he is not infallible.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,510
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    That and he doesn't understand the formula.
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

He's gonna get that question tomorrow. I see two possible answers.
    1)" We trust our kicker to make that. I would do the same thing again. The chart says that what I should do." Etc.
    2) "In retrospect, I did not do everything I possibly could for my player to succeed. The loss is on me. "

Obviously I'm looking for some self reflection on his part. Hoping but not holding my breath.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,000
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    This is not to say that Petersen needs to be Don James. But from ‘77-86 James had three All-American place kickers in a row. Mike Lansford, Chuck Nelson and Jeff Jaeger. That’s no accident.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,916
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I feel like the Boise fans might have warned us about this. He does so many things right, but this close game shit is getting frustrating. That said, Pete has done some things better than Don James did in his
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

This is not to say that Petersen needs to be Don James. But from ‘77-86 James had three All-American place kickers in a row. Mike Lansford, Chuck Nelson and Jeff Jaeger. That’s no accident.

Pete is 5-0 against the Kewgs.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,580
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    edited October 2018
    Pete appears to be a extremely stubborn. It has cost him. Let's not forget Henry was not good last week.

It's okay to tweak the process and chart. You still had two plays to get the setup you wanted with time outs. 3-6 feet could have been the difference. Like they say, football is a game of inches.

The zona game you are simply running out the clock. Yesterday, you are driving to win the game.

Fuck all the talent lacking bullshit. They were in position to win on the road against a team treating the game like it was for the national title.

McGrew and pleasant were balling out. They would have given you yardage there.

Don't even talk to me about overtime.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,000
    Founders Club

And?
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Adam Jude just made more of a contribution to his employers and the coverage of Husky football with this quote as he's done in the however many (5) years he's been here.

Late-game clock-management issues have surfaced before for Petersen (see: Arizona, 2014, a loss that remains a sore subject for the head coach). Some have argued that it is “reasonable” to expect a college kicker to make a 37-yard field goal, as was the setup for Peyton Henry on Saturday in Eugene. Perhaps. But a coach in that moment needs to weigh all factors, and in that moment that kick was probably never better than a 50-50 proposition for the Huskies

The reason Pete is still pissed about Arizona is he was wrong then and knows it, just like he was wrong yesterday.

I'd piss my pants in joy if he came out and said "In retrospect, I did not do everything I possibly could for my player to succeed. The loss is on me."

You can own the mistake and move on, or you can deny/hide/slide away from it, but everyone still knows (including Pete himself) you screwed up.
  • Options
    Fear_BonerFear_Boner Member Posts: 756
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Petersen hires, in succession, Babushka and Bush. Both suck and apparently Bush can’t even carry Seven Win Sven’s jock.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    jecornel said:

Pete appears to be a extremely stubborn. It has cost him. Let's not forget Henry was not good last week.

It's okay to tweak the process and chart. You still had two plays to get the setup you wanted with time outs. 3-6 feet could have been the difference. Like they say, football is a game of inches.

The zona game you are simply running out the clock. Yesterday, you are driving to win the game.

Fuck all the talent lacking bullshit. They were in position to win on the road against a team treating the game like it was for the national title.

It was a playoff elimination game. So is every game on the rest of the schedule. If your coach doesn't treat each game like a title game, something's wrong.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,580
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

jecornel said:

It was a playoff elimination game. So is every game on the rest of the schedule. If your coach doesn't treat each game like a title game, something's wrong.
    Okay!
  • Options
    iDawgiDawg Member Posts: 128
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Passion said:

Petersen’s problem is that he thinks he is the smartest guy in the room and his smugness shows. You can see it in press conferences. It may also why he thinks he is “above” these football training academies when it comes to recruiting.

I think Peterson is learning. Over the last 4 years he's put the ball in Browning's hands in those situations, and we all know how that has worked. This is the first time I remember the staff saying in effect they don't trust the 4 year starter and it's a better bet on a freshman kicker. This has more to do with Browning than Peterson. They weren't going to allow him to lose the game again.

Browning has been demoted to game manager and he has had his best games these last few weeks. He can't win you a game, but he sure the hell can lose you a game.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

And?
    Didn't one of those All American kickers fuck up and cost us a game against the Kewgs?
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club

And?
    Didn't one of those All American kickers fuck up and cost us a game against the Kewgs?
    Chuck Nelson made more FGs than he missed.

;)
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

And?

;)
    Did he or did he not cost us a game against the Kewgs? Answer the question you boufe.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club

And?

;)
    Did he or did he not cost us a game against the Kewgs? Answer the question you boufe.
    Yes, he did. But, quite honestly, my problem was not with the kick yesterday. It was with all the fucking bullshit that led up to us? setting up for a game-winning FG. In any case, it would be nice to see some consistent solid special teams play back on Montlake again.