Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Hope you'll consider this idea. The overall point is made towards the end.

2»

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Appreciate all who take the time to read.

I was thinking more about this last night. Some background as to how I got here...from reading posts of others, it seems like the board is split into two camps. You have one camp that maintains such high expectations for this year's huskies that anything short of a blowout or near perfection is considered a failure. You have another camp (this includes the mods) who remind everyone ad nauseam that we should be happy to have a program in such great shape and find their mouse hovering over the "downlike" button anytime a comment isn't all rainbows and sunshine. Of course there are also some who have the unique ability to stay optimistic while also finding constructive things to point out, but that nuance seems harder to find recently.

But perhaps the high expectations from Camp One are unrealistically high, and thus, the excuses for the team's inconsistency made by Camp 2 are unnecessary. Consider the following:

While very good and likely the class of the pac-12, can the Huskies confidently beat any of the following teams?

-Alabama
    -Clemson
    -Georgia
    -Oklahoma
    -LSU (beat Auburn)
    -Auburn (they already did)
    -Penn State
    -Ohio State
    -Florida
    -Texas
    -Notre Dame
    -Texas A&M
    -Miss St. (beat Auburn)

Objectively, it's hard to make the case they can, at least confidently. Not with the way they're playing. Not with the teams they've beat and how they've beat them. Thus, regardless of where the AP or Coaches polls have the Huskies sitting at, they are realistically no better than a #15-20 ranked team. It shouldn't matter if the Coaches Poll has them ranked 7th. Can most agree?

So what's the point? The point is that the expectations placed on this team are unnecessarily high. We're critiquing the play of this team as if they're a legitimate 7th ranked team with the ability to make it to the CFP, when in reality, they don't punch at this weight. Stated differently, would you be so upset, so frustrated, so confounded if this team were ranked #20? Likely not. Being ranked #7 conjures the highest of expectations (whether justified or not).

I'll take a top-15 team any day. And I'm even more excited about the trending of this football program with its recruiting prowess over the past couple years. Top-15 means better recruits. And we develop players second to none. Our coaching staff is one of the best in the country. All signs point to the Huskies becoming a bona-fide elite team in the next few years.

Until then, it may serve everyone best to temper expectations, but also keep in mind we're getting there.

If we can all agree on that, perhaps we'll find more common ground.

Go Dawgs!

I wish you would have died in the car accident.
    fuck off
    There's enough Doog bullshit on this bored as it is. I don't need bad Doog copypasta from Doogman.
    then go somewhere else
    LOL, so having a different opinion than the majority on some topic makes me an enemy of the state. Got it.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,469
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Is this the Power Rangers thread now? Clean it up guys!
  • Options

I was thinking more about this last night. Some background as to how I got here...from reading posts of others, it seems like the board is split into two camps. You have one camp that maintains such high expectations for this year's huskies that anything short of a blowout or near perfection is considered a failure. You have another camp (this includes the mods) who remind everyone ad nauseam that we should be happy to have a program in such great shape and find their mouse hovering over the "downlike" button anytime a comment isn't all rainbows and sunshine. Of course there are also some who have the unique ability to stay optimistic while also finding constructive things to point out, but that nuance seems harder to find recently.

But perhaps the high expectations from Camp One are unrealistically high, and thus, the excuses for the team's inconsistency made by Camp 2 are unnecessary. Consider the following:

While very good and likely the class of the pac-12, can the Huskies confidently beat any of the following teams?

-Alabama
    -Clemson
    -Georgia
    -Oklahoma
    -LSU (beat Auburn)
    -Penn State
    -Ohio State
    -Florida
    -Texas
    -Notre Dame
    -Texas A&M
    -Miss St. (beat Auburn)

Objectively, it's hard to make the case they can, at least confidently. Not with the way they're playing. Not with the teams they've beat and how they've beat them. Thus, regardless of where the AP or Coaches polls have the Huskies sitting at, they are realistically no better than a #15-20 ranked team. It shouldn't matter if the Coaches Poll has them ranked 7th. Can most agree?

So what's the point? The point is that the expectations placed on this team are unnecessarily high. We're critiquing the play of this team as if they're a legitimate 7th ranked team with the ability to make it to the CFP, when in reality, they don't punch at this weight. Stated differently, would you be so upset, so frustrated, so confounded if this team were ranked #20? Likely not. Being ranked #7 conjures the highest of expectations (whether justified or not).

I'll take a top-15 team any day. And I'm even more excited about the trending of this football program with its recruiting prowess over the past couple years. Top-15 means better recruits. And we develop players second to none. Our coaching staff is one of the best in the country. All signs point to the Huskies becoming a bona-fide elite team in the next few years.

Until then, it may serve everyone best to temper expectations, but also keep in mind we're getting there.

Go Dawgs!

fuck off
    There's enough Doog bullshit on this bored as it is. I don't need bad Doog copypasta from Doogman.
    then go somewhere else
    LOL, so having a different opinion than the majority on some topic makes me an enemy of the state. Got it.
    There's enough of your bullshit on this bored as it is. I don't need bad Stalin copypasta
    I have been in contact with Vanilla. I have begun expressing my frustration over it taking so long to fix the upvote/downvote situation. I have also stated my extreme dislike of the new spoiler feature. The most recent response from Wednesday morning is below. If I don't see resolution by Friday then I'll be contacting the owner of the company.

The folks at Vanilla are great and usually very responsive to fixing issues. So I can't help but wonder why it has recently been sporadic and odd.

Hey Derek,

I'm afraid that the spoiler function is a part of the editor, and there is no way for me to remove it from your site. Let me do a bit of investigating and see if you have any options to hide it from your members.

I was ill yesterday, so I missed the weekly meeting where we talk about what's going out, but according to the documentation I have, this appears to still be on the list for this week and it looks like it's been reviewed on Github. I'll reach out to our Support Lead once she comes in today and see if I can get a specific ETA for you.

Thank you for your patience!

(I did not hear back from Vanilla on Wednesday)
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Stalin getting angry. Kinda weird.
  • Options

He is taking the Seahawks loss very hard.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    A more pertinent question for you is, can the huskies confidently beat the team they are playing this Saturday?
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,466
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

A more pertinent question for you is, can the huskies confidently beat the team they are playing this Saturday?

Yes.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Goliath Online
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Of that list.....LSU, PSU, Florida, Texas, and Miss St.

They will have a puncher's chance.

Otherwise, all other teams = plunger.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

-Alabama
    -Clemson
    -Georgia
    -Oklahoma
    -LSU (beat Auburn)
    -Penn State
    -Ohio State
    -Florida
    -Texas
    -Notre Dame
    -Texas A&M
    -Miss St. (beat Auburn)

Go Dawgs!

Appreciate you.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

-Alabama
    -Clemson
    -Georgia
    -Oklahoma
    -LSU (beat Auburn)
    -Penn State
    -Ohio State
    -Florida
    -Texas
    -Notre Dame
    -Texas A&M
    -Miss St. (beat Auburn)

Go Dawgs!

fuck off
    then go somewhere else
    Whoa. That escalated rather slowly, over like 10 years or so.
  • Options
    CrawfishCrawfish Member Posts: 734
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

-Alabama
    -Clemson
    -Georgia
    -Oklahoma
    -LSU (beat Auburn)
    -Penn State
    -Ohio State
    -Florida
    -Texas
    -Notre Dame
    -Texas A&M
    -Miss St. (beat Auburn)

Go Dawgs!

fuck off
    then go somewhere else
    Whoa. That escalated rather slowly, over like 10 years or so.
    I was squirming in my seat. It made me very uncomfortable.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

All fun banter until Boobs went dark AF. Not cool.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

All fun banter until Boobs went dark AF. Not cool.
    Went?