Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What is biggest cause of Husky Stadium fan apathy?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,864
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

What is biggest cause of Husky Stadium fan apathy? 75 votes

Night games past the blue hairs bed times?
9%
Fire_Marshall_Billno_uhCougzzTheDozerBlastDoorByronMurphyTheGoatCrawfish 7 votes
The Zone
0%
Too much cash grab sponsor gimmickry and horrible music- e.g., "Purple Rain"
12%
ApostleofGrieflongduckdongTequillaJaWarrenJaHookerEwaDawgspudenSourcesBleachedAnusDawgDeepDawg 9 votes
Maple Valley Starter Jacket hicks defected to the Seahawks
13%
CFetters_Nacho_LoverHUSKYFANATIChaieGreenRiverGatorzMiley_CyrusDoog_de_JourbackthepackIce_HolmvikEdwin_BambinoRedRocket 10 votes
Husky Football Circa 2002- 15
28%
TierbsHsotBoobsTommySQCHillsboroDuckThomasFremontDeepSeaZDennis_DeYoungUWhuskytskeetGladstoneSpoonieLuvJECARbiak1DooglesKaepskneePitchfork51NEsnake12YellowSnowNurplejhfstyle24Neighbor2972RDR 21 votes
Moore's Law- i.e., smart phones and selfie sticks
4%
whlinderExtraChrisBThe_Undertaker 3 votes
Moving the student section
8%
HouhuskyPostGameOrangeSlicesalumni94huskyhooligandoogvilleTurdBomber 6 votes
Write-in Option
25%
DerekJohnsonSwayePurpleBazewhuggyMad_SonAZDuckLoneStarDawggreenblood2001400exAEBUWerentThereManBaphometLebamDawgminion_doogBearsWiinBreadAIRWOLFJoeEDangerouslyUW_Doog_Bot 19 votes

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    If our games were played and Hong Kong or Beijing we would be at full capacity.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,185
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Write-in Option
    Abundance.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Abundance.

Yes, abundance is the easy answer, but still...pick one damn it.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Write-in Option
    I haven't been to games since the season before @Owen12, but I would venture to guess that it's a combination of things, some of which you mentioned above.

Crowd doesn't know how to be a crowd. I do blame mobile devices to an extent.

The AD doesn't know how to create and sustain an atmosphere.

Some of the blame is on Petersen's offense. They need to start fast and put their cleats on the other teams balls and stomp them into the ground. Do what works until the other team stops it. Getting inopportune three-and-outs will frustrate the fans and they'll tune out. Keep them engaged.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I haven't been to games since the season before @Owen12, but I would venture to guess that it's a combination of things, some of which you mentioned above.

Crowd doesn't know how to be a crowd. I do blame mobile devices to an extent.

The AD doesn't know how to create and sustain an atmosphere.

Some of the blame is on Petersen's offense. They need to start fast and put their cleats on the other teams balls and stomp them into the ground. Do what works until the other team stops it. Getting inopportune three-and-outs will frustrate the fans and they'll tune out. Keep them engaged.

Goods points Bazey. At this point, it seems like we can only get it up any more for Oregon, top 10 Stanford and the Kewg. It felt like we had no home field advantage with ASU, although I think ASU's game plan played a role in deflating what little energy the crowd had to being with.

Husky Stadium was technically sold out on Sat (Band Day though) and that's the quietest I've ever heard for 71,000 fans.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Write-in Option
    I'm guessing the gameday experience is very sterilized & they run a lot of annoying promos, but that's no excuse.

I went to the Fiesta Bowl and thought the stadium atmosphere sucked. However, the Pedo State fans knew how to be loud. They were engaged. I know they are a bunch of backwater inbreds, but still.

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    edited September 2018
    Also dose not help most of the top 10 schools are in college towns, while UW is in a big fucking city that has other shit going on for it than Football. Also uw and Seattle is full of fags, and not the cool type a fags
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Huskies at Earl's
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    I'd probably change my vote to moving the student section. They can't see what is going on for at least half of the game, and they are what directs the rest of the stadium to cheer. Also, the Go Huskies chant sucks now because it's starting from an end zone.

Even before the interception, a UW-Arizona game from 2009 is way louder than any game outside of a handful since the renovation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NFsMTPvSjQ
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Maple Valley Starter Jacket hicks defected to the Seahawks
    Needs moar maple valley inbreds and south sound rednecks.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Write-in Option
    We seem to have people in marketing whose experience either 1) must not exist or 2) have no sports experience or 3) are trying to copy the NFL model for college.

I'm waiting for the chinevitable "If we start games at 7am pacific that will be 10am Eastern and will improve our ratings" to come from PAC12 headquarters and for our AD to meekly acquiesce.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Write-in Option

I would say the biggest problem, to channel DDY, is our marketing.

We do shit like move the student section out of relevance.

We do shit like fucking over long term tailgate fans who have invested in helping create a game day atmosphere.

We do shit like fucking over long term season ticket holders.

In summary, our AD and marketing is too focused on "growth of new fans" who won't be that invested unless we are winning instead of supporting and listening to an already rabid and long established core fan base.

TLDR we are sacrificing long term growth and "customer" loyalty for short term gains in revenue. This ALWAYS works out for firms that engage in it...
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,086
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited September 2018
    Write-in Option
    All of the above. There is no single culprit, this is overall systemic neglect.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,474
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Too much cash grab sponsor gimmickry and horrible music- e.g., "Purple Rain"
    The correct answer is abundance. That being said, it feels like a corporate stadium now. The in-stadium experience is pretty much that of an NFL game.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I would say the biggest problem, to channel DDY, is our marketing.

We do shit like move the student section out of relevance.

We do shit like fucking over long term tailgate fans who have invested in helping create a game day atmosphere.

We do shit like fucking over long term season ticket holders.

In summary, our AD and marketing is too focused on "growth of new fans" who won't be that invested unless we are winning instead of supporting and listening to an already rabid and long established core fan base.

We need to send a crack team of expurts to places like Wisconsin, tOSU, Georgia, etc and observe what their game day experience is like. I feel that perhaps Seattle has changed too much since the early 90's for our? ever to truly get Husky Stadium back to 1990's form. But to your points, better marketing + mor winning can help.