Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Draft Network: Byron Murphy III

Some solid FREE PUB!!! for Mr. Murphy from TDN. Really hits on his playmaking abilities.

Aqib Talib holds the record for most games within a single season with at least three pass break-ups. He had seven in his 2006 season with the Kansas Jayhawks — and he only played 10 games. That’s absolutely bananas. The next highest number is shared by a few players — Tramon Williams for Louisiana Tech, Julian Love for Notre Dame last season — at four.

In his first nine games ever as a college football player, Byron Murphy III has broken up at least three passes four times. If he continues on this disruptive pace, he’ll have around 20 pass break-ups across his first 13 games.

But we can talk about the clear conclusions drawn from Murphy’s early 2018 tape:

- Murphy has excellent change-of-direction ability. Great body control and agility
- Murphy has nice overlapping instincts; an aggressive mentality
- Murphy understands how to attack the catch point despite lacking ideal size and length

All of these pass break-ups are impact plays, in that they likely prevent first-down conversions.

Murphy will have to answer questions about his long term health, as well as hit some big measurable benchmarks given his lack of ideal size. But his instincts and ball skills alone make him a highly desirable prospect for NFL teams in need of high-impact plays on the defensive side.

Murphy has a big test coming up this Saturday in Arizona State’s N’Keal Harry, who could expose Murphy’s struggles with size given his imposing frame. If he can clear that test with good tape, there will be little to question for the next NFL corner to come out of the Washington machine.

Comments

• Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,089
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

What a refreshing change from suffering 20+ years of some of the shittiest secondary play in college football. Vontoure was the only bright spot during the Lambo/Neu/Gibly/HWSNBN/Sark years.

Dashon Goldson was a bright spot. Lewis and Wallace were a step down from our recent dominance but yeah, it is great being at a place where a pro bowler would struggle to find playing time.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,468
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Jordan Miller got toasted against Auburn the first TD pass. You want to be the best, make the play.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club

What a refreshing change from suffering 20+ years of some of the shittiest secondary play in college football. Vontoure was the only bright spot during the Lambo/Neu/Gibly/HWSNBN/Sark years.

I don't think I would include the Sark years there after Holt was canned. Once Wilcox and Heyward came on board (with guys like Trufant, Parker, and Glenn) we've had a good secondary. Obviously Lake and Kwat have taken it up a notch since then.
    Yeah, I forgot guys like Goldson & the ones you mentioned.

It had been a blur... a fucking nightmare of DBs being out of position or not looking back to the ball, etc.

Just no coaching up of the talent... dark fucking years.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Doogles said:

Jordan Miller got toasted against Auburn the first TD pass. You want to be the best, make the play.

Are you retarded? Stidham made a perfect throw to a 6’5” receiver. There was no defense for that without drawing a flag.
    Former basketball player too. Good fucking hands and hops I'm sure.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,468
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Miller mistimed the jump and allowed for space so that the guy could hop over him. Kevin King makes that play and he's not a sure fire lock to succeed in the NFL at this point.

It was a great play by Stidham and WR, but i'm not crowning Miller as a NFL #1 CB.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

Are you retarded? Stidham made a perfect throw to a 6’5” receiver. There was no defense for that without drawing a flag.
    Flag > TD. Giving up a TD is what it is. Great play or not, Miller is expected to make that play. Jimmy Lake said exactly that.
  • Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Anthony Vontoure was the fucking man. It's a real shame what happened to him
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

Miller mistimed the jump and allowed for space so that the guy could hop over him. Kevin King makes that play and he's not a sure fire lock to succeed in the NFL at this point.

It was a great play by Stidham and WR, but i'm not crowning Miller as a NFL #1 CB.

#1 NFL corners give up a catch or two and yes, even a TD, from time to time. You're not crowning him because of that play?
  • Options
    Fear_BonerFear_Boner Member Posts: 755
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited September 2018

Murphy deserves all the love but u don’t think people realize how good Jordan Miller is. He’s going to be a #1 corner at the next level too.

Hmmm..... I wonder why you'd think that.....

Edit: In an interview with the Athletic (I think), Miller says Murphy always gets the best hands award and gets chances for PBUs and INTs because everyone always throws to his side.

Reading between the lines: It's hard to get the numbers when your half is shut down and no one will challenge you.

Either way, with those two, it's always abundance!
    Must be a mistake. BBK isn’t on the list.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Murphy deserves all the love but u don’t think people realize how good Jordan Miller is. He’s going to be a #1 corner at the next level too.

Edit: In an interview with the Athletic (I think), Miller says Murphy always gets the best hands award and gets chances for PBUs and INTs because everyone always throws to his side.

Reading between the lines: It's hard to get the numbers when your half is shut down and no one will challenge you.

He had a really high rating last year. PFF ratings are stupid.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

He had a really high rating last year. PFF ratings are stupid.
    Idk what you talking about roddie. He is an amazing LB for us. He leads the team in tackles