Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Streaming, SlingTv, Recording, and other ass play

UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,185
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Swaye's Wigwam
So I have been ponying up for slingtv for two years now to be able to receive out-of-region PAC12 content and because I don't have some ridiculous cable package. It's ok, not great, not good, but ok. I can login from work, my phone, or home and watch football. So long as it's on either the Pac12 or an ESPN channel... no local broadcasts and no Fox Sports etc. I've got an antenna that works alright on my TV at home for local broadcasts in a pinch though reception can be spotty depending on the network. Any FS1 broadcasts mean I'm headed to the bar or my parents house.

One of the features that sling used to have included was cloud dvr. I could record a game I wanted to see and then watch it at my leisure. Sometimes the dvr would let me skip commercials, sometimes it wouldn't. If it was really FS it would force me to sit through the whole broadcast without any fast forward or rewind ability. That doesn't sound bad except that it's liable to drop your recording and force you to watch everything all over again. At least I could watch what I wanted on a recording though. They have since made that feature an additional $5 a month add-on and buried in the fine print is that all ESPN live broadcasts can't be recorded essentially rendering it useless.

I'm obviously not above finding a recording on youtube or through a reddit link but as we all know that's all hit or miss. It's also not great if you don't want to know the outcome ahead of time.

Just wondering what everyone else's set ups look like and what the work arounds might look like to be able to watch live & record our Dwags.

Ironically, when I lived overseas this was actually simpler and easier except for the part about being up at 330am for a live broadcast from the West coast. I'm considering a VPN with a DVR box set up but I'm not sure how complicated that gets. I used to use a jailbroken fire stick before the days of PAC12 network availability but I had to constantly update the software and search for new links/broadcasts just to be able to maybe watch a shitty stream bc no one gave a shit about PAC12 football.

TIA for you knowledge.

Comments

• Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Here's my setup:

DirecTV top package - I get fucking everything except stuff from China (read: Pac12 Networks) and can watch everything from my phone or my son's iPad (I hate those fucking things so only use it because your recorded stuff doesn't really translate to a browser login the way you'd think).
    Roku Ultra - apps and stuff.
    Sling Orange with Sports add-on - I can DVR the Pac12, but not ESPN, but since I have Directv I don't really care about that.

I pay a lot for TV.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Move to China. Problem solved.

I watched the Beastquake happen at like 4am? while living in South Africa. I paid $2.00 american to some sketchy but very user friendly and high broadcast quality Chinese website to watch the game. I have no idea where that money went but was happy with the product.

That's the fucked up thing, if you are living overseas you can pretty much just purchase a "sports package" to watch all of this shit via a streaming website. Only in the US does it seem to be this complicated to simply watch a team play sports.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Meek said:

Here's my setup:

DirecTV top package - I get fucking everything except stuff from China (read: Pac12 Networks) and can watch everything from my phone or my son's iPad (I hate those fucking things so only use it because your recorded stuff doesn't really translate to a browser login the way you'd think).
    Sling Orange with Sports add-on - I can DVR the Pac12, but not ESPN, but since I have Directv I don't really care about that.

I pay a lot for TV.

This

DirecTV and ATT gets you everything but Pac 12 Football TV and frankly, I don't care. You get the satellite and the online. You can sign into the content provider if it isn't on watch live TV on the DTV website

Its old school with a new school twist

And they have an online library now
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Meek said:

Meek said:

Here's my setup:

I pay a lot for TV.

This

DirecTV and ATT gets you everything but Pac 12 Football TV and frankly, I don't care. You get the satellite and the online. You can sign into the content provider if it isn't on watch live TV on the DTV website

yes and you can also watch games on the ESPN app and Watch ESPN app from your phone/ipad too.

Lots of good tv options out there...

if you're old, rich, and white.
    I'm not a pour but I really have zero use for DirectTv or another cable package outside of watching live sportsball. Can't really justify the additional cost for a full package especially for a full year for something that I'm only watching seasonally.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    I use the foxsports go app, watch espn app, and the pac 12 app on my phone or laptop.
  • Options
    no_uhno_uh Member Posts: 758
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I have Sling with ESPN, FS1, etc. I get local channels over the air, except ABC (which sucks, you can sometimes pick these games up on ESPN3). But I've noticed that Sling also has games blacked out on FS1 sometimes. Definitely not ideal, but less than half the cost of DirecTV, even with Sho and HBO.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Meek said:

Meek said:

Here's my setup:

I pay a lot for TV.

This

yes and you can also watch games on the ESPN app and Watch ESPN app from your phone/ipad too.

Lots of good tv options out there...

if you're old, rich, and white.
    I'm not a pour but I really have zero use for DirectTv or another cable package outside of watching live sportsball. Can't really justify the additional cost for a full package especially for a full year for something that I'm only watching seasonally.
    not pour is just a notch or 3 below rich. HTH
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

So I have been ponying up for slingtv for two years now to be able to receive out-of-region PAC12 content and because I don't have some ridiculous cable package. It's ok, not great, not good, but ok. I can login from work, my phone, or home and watch football. So long as it's on either the Pac12 or an ESPN channel... no local broadcasts and no Fox Sports etc. I've got an antenna that works alright on my TV at home for local broadcasts in a pinch though reception can be spotty depending on the network. Any FS1 broadcasts mean I'm headed to the bar or my parents house.

One of the features that sling used to have included was cloud dvr. I could record a game I wanted to see and then watch it at my leisure. Sometimes the dvr would let me skip commercials, sometimes it wouldn't. If it was really FS it would force me to sit through the whole broadcast without any fast forward or rewind ability. That doesn't sound bad except that it's liable to drop your recording and force you to watch everything all over again. At least I could watch what I wanted on a recording though. They have since made that feature an additional $5 a month add-on and buried in the fine print is that all ESPN live broadcasts can't be recorded essentially rendering it useless.

I'm obviously not above finding a recording on youtube or through a reddit link but as we all know that's all hit or miss. It's also not great if you don't want to know the outcome ahead of time.

Just wondering what everyone else's set ups look like and what the work arounds might look like to be able to watch live & record our Dwags.

Ironically, when I lived overseas this was actually simpler and easier except for the part about being up at 330am for a live broadcast from the West coast. I'm considering a VPN with a DVR box set up but I'm not sure how complicated that gets. I used to use a jailbroken fire stick before the days of PAC12 network availability but I had to constantly update the software and search for new links/broadcasts just to be able to maybe watch a shitty stream bc no one gave a shit about PAC12 football.

TIA for you knowledge.

Did you check with Bill Fleenor?
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    HuskyJW said:

I have Xfinity and don't have to deal with any of that bullshit that you guys are talking about and just watch football.

We don't have Xfinity in the trailer park.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I use the foxsports go app, watch espn app, and the pac 12 app on my phone or laptop.

Whose login do you use?
  • Options
    Founders Club

Fuck - people and their fucking TV. Just get Dish, pay $200 a month and you can watch anything, anywhere, anytime. All these fucking setups with different devices, apps, logins, fees. JFC.

We DO have Dish in the trailer park and I am using it. Easy.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,470
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I get Pac-12 network on basic cable.

:)
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
    Swaye said:

Fuck - people and their fucking TV. Just get Dish, pay $200 a month and you can watch anything, anywhere, anytime. All these fucking setups with different devices, apps, logins, fees. JFC.

I live in the sticks, and have full-meal-deal Dish. Fuck off, it's pretty great. No complaints.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

I live in the sticks, and have full-meal-deal Dish. Fuck off, it's pretty great. No complaints.
    Could not get Dish at the current place but I realized I'm moving next month and I might be able to at the new place.

Anyone get internet through Dish as well? What's the Dish sports bundle like? Can I watch shit from other devices online or no? Also, who has the coldest beer in town?

I am actually curious now. TIA.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Could not get Dish at the current place but I realized I'm moving next month and I might be able to at the new place.

Anyone get internet through Dish as well? What's the Dish sports bundle like? Can I watch shit from other devices online or no? Also, who has the coldest beer in town?

I am actually curious now. TIA.
    Never tried Dish interwebz, but heard it sucks. Heard it from a drunk meth head though, so YMMV.