Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

3 days ….

**** I reserve the right to change my prediction right up until kickoff

I usually get very homerish with my picks the closer it gets to Saturday. At the moment, I feel like this game is 50/50, could go either way. Looks like everyone is relatively healthy (Adams, Gaines for UW, Dean at CB for AU) so there are no late surprises. I love everything about this game, mainly the great individual/unit matchups. Stidham/AU WRs vs UW Secondary, Gaines up the middle vs our veteran Gs,
Our Front 7 vs Gaskin and Browning.

Names to remember from Auburn - RB Boobie Whitlow, RB/Slot Shaun Shivers
… most of you know about Stidham and maybe our WRs Davis,Slayton & Craig-Myers and Davidson and Brown on the DL, But here is one to watch for …. Boobie Whitlow. He's been the talk of the spring. He's currently listed as the #2 RB. Kam Martin is listed as the starter. He has a similar running style to Gaskin … same size too & Blazing fast. But Boobie is the best all around back. He's the best RB at Pass Pro, he's bigger at 215-220 and he has great hands. 3rd string RB is Asa Martin (highly touted Freshman) but all the talk was about Boobie this fall camp. Look for Kam to start, but Boobie to take over. I think this is one of those situations where Kam has "earned it" to be the first back on the field. But watch for Boobie to come in on the first 3rd down …. and take the most snaps thereafter. As our biggest back, it should tell you about his agility that he's one of the kickoff returners.

Next guy is Shaun Shivers. He was the 2nd fastest player in the country in HS Track. Ran a 10.2 or 10.3 in the 100. He's only 5'8 but is a hard nosed runner as well. I imagine they'll find a way to utilize his speed.

I'm expecting a 70/30 AU crowd (based off the Chikfila Kickoff Classic director on local radio) which sounds great until you realize that we haven't won in that stadium yet (0-2).

Now for a little homerism … I can see this game being close with a 3-7 point win either way. I also wouldn't be shocked if AU won big …
like the 34-17 prediction I threw around earlier. The only thing that would shock me would be UW beating Auburn by 2TDs or more.

Tell me who you think could make the biggest impact for UW not named Browning, Gaskin, or Gaines, DBs ….

Comments

• Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,982
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    AuburnFan said:

Next guy is Shaun Shivers. He was the 2nd fastest player in the country in HS Track. Ran a 10.2 or 10.3 in the 100. He's only 5'8 but is a hard nosed runner as well. I imagine they'll find a way to utilize his speed.

• Options
    AuburnFanAuburnFan Member Posts: 173
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Bread said:

AuburnFan said:

Who dat?

Boobie Whitlow? Of the Coney Island Whitlows?

• Options
    AuburnFanAuburnFan Member Posts: 173
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    AuburnFan said:

Bread said:

AuburnFan said:

Who dat?

Negative
  • Options
    AU2xguyAU2xguy Member Posts: 44
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Name Dropper
    I'm honestly interested to see how Wattenberg and Kirkland handle the interior D-Line of Auburn. Two guys getting their first real game action at those positions (understand that Watternberg mostly played tackle last year) going against one of the better D-lines in the country should be pivotal. If AU gets an edge there, the run game with Gaskins likely shuts down. It's also important to note that AU often subs out for a "rabbit" package on obvious passing downs, bringing in four linemen who are better pass rushers (i.e. DEs) and even lining them up over the ball instead of traditional defensive tackles. Gives the offense a different look.

On the flip side, AU has a similar problem at center. Unproven commodity in Kaleb Kim going against a damn good nose tackle.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,644
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If UW is in this or wins it will be because the pass rush shocks the world, wakes up early in the game, and puts Auburn behind via sack/fumbles or picks forced by the rush.

UW is thin and small on the DL outside of Gaines. The DL won't hold up into the second half if Auburn is able to be run heavy.

Gaskin will create yards if we* can stick to running the ball, but...

Jake Browning.

Petersen was known for surprising and impeccably executed play calls at Boise. We've seen very little success with that stuff since he's been at UW. I'm banking on a couple of big play scores combined with a big play or two from the defense putting Auburn on their heels and then keeping them there.

Otherwise forget it. The Huskies are a good team with major weaknesses that can't beat a top 10 team if all goes routinely.
  • Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,454
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think the DWAGS handle the War Eagles rather handily.