Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

On paper: better or worse now compared to 2016

GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
QB. Same
RB. Better thanks to Saladin Ahmed
TE: Slightly worse
WR: Significantly worse
OL: Slightly worse (no Eldrenkamp + health concerns)
DL: Worse
LB: Significantly worse
DB: Slightly worse
K: Same
P: Slightly better
KR: Worse
PR: Significantly worse
Depth: Better
Coaching; Slightly better with Smith out

Agree? Here's hoping the team surprises again.

Comments

• Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,294
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Kicker worse, Punter significantly better

But yeah
  • Options
    Founders Club

this would have made a great poll, Gladdy!

why
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited August 2018
    Doogles said:

QB: TBD 2016 Bowning>2017 Browning 2018?

RB: Better: Gaskin is better and Salvon has higher ceiling, but 2016 Coleman was quietly our second most explosive player. If Salvon can put up the 2016 Coleman stat line we're in good shape.

TE: Better if Hunter is back at some point this year. Come championship game/playoff/bowl time it will be much better.

WR: Yikes it's time for the youngins to step up.

OL: You have to say it's better once Trey comes back at full speed. A physical freak like McGary is in his 5th year. Him and Trey are going to be awesome and Nick Harris is no longer out of position.

Return Game: No Ross or Pettis to take it to the house and bail out our over complicated offense is huge. Somebody needs to step up, we have the explosive guys to do it, but so far none of them have shown the innate ability all good returners have of finding the crease and housing it.

K: We fucked

Depth: Much Better

Coaching: Much better

I agree with this take. No way our OL is worse than 2018 unless Trey isn’t the same.

I would say the floor is slightly lower but the ceiling is significantly higher at positions like TE, WR and OL.

Other than ST, LB is the only position that really concerns me outside of ATBSJBS. I think we have receivers step up.

I think special teams is the difference between us and a perfect season this year.
  • Options
    SyphilisButterSyphilisButter Member Posts: 221
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Photogenic
    dnc said:

Doogles said:

QB: TBD 2016 Bowning>2017 Browning 2018?

RB: Better: Gaskin is better and Salvon has higher ceiling, but 2016 Coleman was quietly our second most explosive player. If Salvon can put up the 2016 Coleman stat line we're in good shape.

TE: Better if Hunter is back at some point this year. Come championship game/playoff/bowl time it will be much better.

WR: Yikes it's time for the youngins to step up.

OL: You have to say it's better once Trey comes back at full speed. A physical freak like McGary is in his 5th year. Him and Trey are going to be awesome and Nick Harris is no longer out of position.

Return Game: No Ross or Pettis to take it to the house and bail out our over complicated offense is huge. Somebody needs to step up, we have the explosive guys to do it, but so far none of them have shown the innate ability all good returners have of finding the crease and housing it.

K: We fucked

Depth: Much Better

Coaching: Much better

I agree with this take. No way our OL is worse than 2018 unless Trey isn’t the same.

I would say the floor is slightly lower but the ceiling is significantly higher at positions like TE, WR and OL.

Other than ST, LB is the only position that really concerns me outside of ATBSJBS. I think we have receivers step up.

I think special teams is the difference between us and a perfect season this year.
    Ceiling is higher this year at WR when in 2016 we had John "fastest player in NCAA history" Ross and Dante "total superstar stud sprinting full speed back towards the LOS to catch Browning noodleball" Pettis?

That's some awesome August doogery. I'm in.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Brownsox is still our qb
  • Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,970
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Disagree
    Gladstone said:

QB. Same
    RB. Better thanks to Saladin Ahmed
    TE: Slightly worse Better. No way Daniel's is better then Kizer, Otton, Warren, a few games of bryant combined. And sample 2018 > sample 2016.
    WR: Significantly worse end of 2016. SLIGHTLY BETTER beginning of 2016. Wide reciever was just as big a question mark as now going into the season. Is john ross going to be healthy enough to make up for our shitty recievers? Is Pettis and lenius going to step up or are they jags?
    OL: Slightly worse (no Eldrenkamp + health concerns? eldenkramp and shelton are downgrades probably but the other three positions will be better.
    DL: Worse
    LB: Significantly worse
    DB: Slightly worse
    K: Same van winkle was 99% on pat and 80% on fg it we not that good.
    P: Slightly better
    KR: Worse
    PR: Significantly worse
    Depth: Better
    Coaching; Slightly better with Smith out

Agree? Here's hoping the team surprises again.

Holder: worse. Word from camp is race porter is struggling in way jeff lindquist never did.
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,097
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Coaching 2016 has to be pre and post-Tedford.

With Tedford: 2016>2018.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I think OL and TE this year could end up being better. Also, 2016 linebackers should be pre and post Azeem injury, pre injury 2016 better, post I think 2018 could be better. I also think 2018 Secondary could potentially challenge 2016 if they stay healthy.

LIPO!

I think related to the DB group that's part of what this group has more so than 2016, depth and the ability to absorb injuries. Also see the new redshirt rules.
  • Options
    SquirtSquirt Member Posts: 485
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper
    Interesting exercise. I mostly agree, with these caveats and additional observations:

QB: You're forgetting the loss of the Lindcat formation. I also think Jake Browning will be less shitty in big games. Not great, but less shitty, to the point that 2018's better run game could get the Huskies over the top.

DL: I think it's going to have similar top-end play, although it will suffer from less depth. Vita Vea was inconsistent in 2016. Greg Gaines was terrific but only a sophomore. I think Onwuzurike will perform as well as Qualls did in 2016.

2016: So. Greg Gaines, So. Jaylen Johnson, Jr. Elijah Qualls, Sr. Damion Turpin, So. Vita Vea
    2018: Sr. Greg Gaines, Sr. Jaylen Johnson, So. Levi Onwuzurike

LB: I'm bullish on the LBs if we're counting OLBs here. The OLBs should be better this year (RSJr. Benning Potoa'e, So. Ryan Bowman, So. Amandre Williams, Fr. Joe Tryon vs. RSFr. Benning, Sr. Psalm Wooching, and Jr. Connor O'Brien). The ILB first-string should be a small step below (Sr. Tevis-Sr. BBK v. Jr. Bierria and Jr. Victor/So. BBK) but the second-string, which plays a lot, should be better.

P: Much better, in my opinion. Tristan Vizcaino was really inconsistent. In the Peach Bowl, for example, he got off a couple long punts, but he shanked one badly, giving Alabama good field position at a critical moment.

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Squirt said:

Interesting exercise. I mostly agree, with these caveats and additional observations:

QB: You're forgetting the loss of the Lindcat formation. I also think Jake Browning will be less shitty in big games. Not great, but less shitty, to the point that 2018's better run game could get the Huskies over the top.

DL: I think it's going to have similar top-end play, although it will suffer from less depth. Vita Vea was inconsistent in 2016. Greg Gaines was terrific but only a sophomore. I think Onwuzurike will perform as well as Qualls did in 2016.

2016: So. Greg Gaines, So. Jaylen Johnson, Jr. Elijah Qualls, Sr. Damion Turpin, So. Vita Vea
    2018: Sr. Greg Gaines, Sr. Jaylen Johnson, So. Levi Onwuzurike

LB: I'm bullish on the LBs if we're counting OLBs here. The OLBs should be better this year (RSJr. Benning Potoa'e, So. Ryan Bowman, So. Amandre Williams, Fr. Joe Tryon vs. RSFr. Benning, Sr. Psalm Wooching, and Jr. Connor O'Brien). The ILB first-string should be a small step below (Sr. Tevis-Sr. BBK v. Jr. Bierria and Jr. Victor/So. BBK) but the second-string, which plays a lot, should be better.

P: Much better, in my opinion. Tristan Vizcaino was really inconsistent. In the Peach Bowl, for example, he got off a couple long punts, but he shanked one badly, giving Alabama good field position at a critical moment.

I'm hopefully the Leviite is better than Qualls '16, maybe much better. Qualls was up & down, more down as the season went on.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    House
    That
    Sark
    Built
  • Options
    Founders Club

Why are you evaluating our players based on how they played last year? I don't know if you heard, but Sark isn't our coach anymore.

you are what you are until you aren't

i didn't want to doog out over expected player development, although this staff is great at it
  • Options
    SweatpantsGeneralSweatpantsGeneral Member Posts: 2,053
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper

If we commit to running the football we will be better. If we dont, who cares TSIO

YBFE, E