Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

[srs questn] Best Oregon team during their run (Chip hired as OC through Helfrich 2015)?

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    2010 - Fluke play natty loss
    2010 natty was the only time I ever rooted for Oregon.

Fuck.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I have to admit, I smiled when I saw that knee go in three directions.

@Duxfan!!! True???
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited May 2018
    2014 - Mariota is god until Urban says "lol"
    2012 team was good but blew their chance at an easy Natty against ND.

2014 was supposed to be "the year," and might have had better results with Chimp Smelly. Don't think we would have beaten Ohio State even with el Chimpo dough.

2010 was never supposed to be a contender. Played Allbarn better than we should have.

2013 could have beaten Free Shoes if Chimp had stuck around and we only had one stupid loss instead of two I guess

We snakebit.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited May 2018

Also, because I'm a contrarian, I'll take the Dennis Dixon knee year.

You have four guys who went on to be NFL Pro Bowlers (Stewart, Unger, Byrd, Ward) plus a couple more who hung around the NFL as starters to some extent for awhile (Chung, Schwartz, Dickson). What that says, I'm not really sure. But I've heard having NFL talent matters. As an added bonus, they punched Leavitt in the mouth in their bowl game.

Nail.Head.Smash

Dixon was the perfect weapon for Chip's early offense at Oregon. He became a much better passer under Chip, but his speed and elusiveness were his biggest threat. I was at the SC game and the talent disparity was evident when SC's players came out of the tunnel...roided up Matthews, Cushing, and Crazy Malauga. Several 3rd downs SC had all options covered only to watch Dixon elude the D and run out of bounds just beyond the stick. Back to back wins vs top 10 SC and ASU ramped up the Heisman and BCS talk....all for naught on that shitatstic Thursday in Tucson. I was there with a nice pregame glow from Dirtbags, sitting in the Zona donor section talking shit as Dixon faked the handoff to Snoop on 4th and short and ran 39 yds for the TD when all the Zona fans thought Snoop was stuffed. After the knee popped that was it so we skulked back to Dirtbags to drown our sorrows.
    My issue is that Dixon hurt that knee the week before late in the 4th quarter against ASU with the game already decided. Dixon and the coaching staff knew he had a partially torn ACL but Dixon wanted to give it a go, he then proceeded to fully tear it against Arizona.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Mosster47 said:

The 2010 team rotated 25 guys on D that either played in the NFL or made an All-Conference team. The offense didn't have much talent outside of LaMike and Barner, but they weren't as good as the 2014 team.

The very simple football reason Ohio State won that game is Devon Allen tore his ACL in the Rose Bowl and Carrington was suspended for having an amount of THC in his urine that would be considered acceptable for the military or any corporate entity, but not the NCAA. Of course there were three other WR's out as well but those last two did it.

This allowed tOSU to play cover 3 all night and bring an extra man down into the box to stop the run. Luck plays a big part in everything in a long season and it didn't go Oregon's way at the WR position that year. A freshman Charlea Nelson was Oregon's best WR by the end of the year, which doesn't cut it.

The Fiesta Bowl year with Mariota would have been the best. Had the Ertz TD been officated correctly the Ducks would have played ND for the title which would have been a gimme. The Pac-12 fucked itself in football, which is par for the course.

You watched a different game.

I will say that if Nelson had caught that fourth down catch into OSU's side of the field, Oregon could have rolled to an early 14-0 lead. That might have changed some of the script...but he didn't, so Oregon couldn't put OSU away early.

What then transpired was a demoralizing beatdown deserving of an "R" rating.

Urban Meyer coached a really bad game for about 2 and a half quarters. He let the young gun throw himself into 4 turnovers allowing Oregon to hang around 21-20 mid way through the third. Then, Meyer finally realized that Oregon was never going to stop Zeke. So they basically ran Zeke up the middle, Zeke to the left, and Zeke to the right. I don't think OSU threw one pass in the last 18 minutes of game clock. Zeke ended up breaking a National Title game record for rushing yards in a game with 246 and 4 tds.

To emphasize how bad of a drubbing this was: Name the last time a team had a +4 turnover margin and lost the game by three touchdowns...
    Nope, I watched the same game. If Carrington and Allen were there they wouldn't have been able to play the run with 8 guys and Oregon would have been up big enough by half time to contend with the Zeke barrage. They could have controlled the clock a little bit too.

Not saying it would have been a win, but with those two down the Ducks lose that game 10 times out of 10 regardless of turnover margin or anything else.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,456
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I saw Ohio State play a junior high team that day.
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,125
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    My answer...

FUCK OREGON
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,115
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Do much delicious living in the past in this thread, and none of it was successful
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    edited June 2018
    haie said:

Stfu. Stupid ass doog. How did you ever make it through college with cinderblocks for a brain? You think programmers are gods and act like UW is the academis rival of Stanford. You're a fucking joke. Oregon revolutionized the game of football and dominated the huskies for years. You talking trash to older brother is retarded. Clearly the coogs are more your speed.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

haie said:

Stfu. Stupid ass doog. How did you ever make it through college with cinderblocks for a brain? You think programmers are gods and act like UW is the academis rival of Stanford. You're a fucking joke. Oregon revolutionized the game of football and dominated the huskies for years. You talking trash to older brother is retarded. Clearly the coogs are more your speed.
    Relax...

Yes Oregon revolutionized the game, that can not be argued. However, Oregon didn't revolutionize how to win championships consistently. They did what Billy Beane did with the A's. They created a system where a small market team could take advantage of the mistakes of big market teams. In Oregon's case, it was creating a system built on speed and endurance. But like what happened to Billy Beane, Oregon couldn't win the big games, because like Billy Beane ran into the Yankees, Oregon ran into teams that were bigger, stronger, and FASTER than they were. Oregon had one chance to win it all, and they blew it at home against Stanford. Other than that...they weren't beating the blue bloods in the biggest games without at least having similar talent.

Now just like what happened in baseball, most teams have imitated Oregon's system. Which is why they have evolved their recruiting to try and get well rounded higher level recruits. The Oregon way, is no longer a competitive advantage.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288

haie said:

Relax...

Yes Oregon revolutionized the game, that can not be argued. However, Oregon didn't revolutionize how to win championships consistently. They did what Billy Beane did with the A's. They created a system where a small market team could take advantage of the mistakes of big market teams. In Oregon's case, it was creating a system built on speed and endurance. But like what happened to Billy Beane, Oregon couldn't win the big games, because like Billy Beane ran into the Yankees, Oregon ran into teams that were bigger, stronger, and FASTER than they were. Oregon had one chance to win it all, and they blew it at home against Stanford. Other than that...they weren't beating the blue bloods in the biggest games without at least having similar talent.

Now just like what happened in baseball, most teams have imitated Oregon's system. Which is why they have evolved their recruiting to try and get well rounded higher level recruits. The Oregon way, is no longer a competitive advantage.
    Florida State disagrees.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

haie said:

Relax...

Florida State disagrees.
    You really put that Florida St. team on par with the Alabama and Ohio State’s of the world? That Florida St team was the most overrated undefeated team in college history. Everybody knew it...they finished behind one loss Alabama and 1 loss Oregon when the playoff rankings were announced. If Florida St had lost one game, they might not have made the top 8.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,488
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Chip is a poor man's Urban Meyer.