Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

2017-18 Report: College football popularity highlighted by impressive ratings and attendance data

MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
interesting (and long) summary of the popularity of college football.

boxscorenews.com/report-college-football-popularity-highlighted-by-impressive-ratin-p146954-68.htm#.WvyE2ESwwx8.facebook

Pac12 Network gets a shout out too for its most interesting and popular part of last season!!

"The Pac-12 Networks delivered its most-watched Facebook Live video ever during the Sept. 2 USC postgame press conference, which featured blind long-snapper Jake Olson who played in the Trojan's 49-31 win over Western Michigan. FOX Sports also reported a Pac-12 Networks production, highlighting Olson's snap on FOX Sports' Facebook page, ranked as one of their most-viewed videos of the 2017 season with 2.7 million views. Click here to watch the video."

so, there you have it sports fans...the Pac12 Network's only real contribution to the national college football conversation was a Facebook livestream of a blind center getting his make-a-wish moment.

I'm sure there are a lot of good reasons why Larry Scott is the highest paid commissioner in the land, but I just don't get to see them unless I'm visiting China or Australia.

Comments

• Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031

Jake Olsen is driving the pace car at this weeks NASCAR race

Larry Scott is thrilled that he is the catalyst to that.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    edited May 2018

Inside the US here’s CFB and everything else. It will continue to grow in popularity.

No. It won't.

And I will be as devastated as you.
  • Options
    Epidemiologically, we're only just now seeing the tip of the iceberg. Football as we know it won't exist in 20 years.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Subscriptions have never been higher
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,788
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TTJ said:

Epidemiologically, we're only just now seeing the tip of the iceberg. Football as we know it won't exist in 20 years.

Better and safer equipment will be made to counter that. Players won’t be able to get away with no knee pads, tail pads, the helmets will be completely different. Won’t be able to wear receiver shoulder pads as a D end.

The money will do what it has to to keep the sport going.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    TTJ said:

LOL! Good luck the rest of the way!
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,637
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think you soft fucking Americans should take off all the pads.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    PurpleJ said:

I think you soft fucking Americans should take out all the pads.

• Options
    My. It seems I've struck a nerve.

Too soon?
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,637
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    People said the same thing about boxing.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    TTJ said:

My. It seems I've struck a nerve.

Too soon?

I think you're overstating the point but I do think CTE is a bigger looming problem than most here seem to admit. The government is going to get involved at some point and/or the lawsuits are going to be through the Ruth. There's a day of reckoning of some sort coming. I think football survives but it will be significantly altered.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

TTJ said:

Inside the US here’s CFB and everything else. It will continue to grow in popularity.

No. It won't.

And I will be as devastated as you.
    Have you met a single person that has stopped watching football because of CTE? I don’t think I have. I bet the anthem protests got more people to stop watching than any CTE hot talk. I know that’s a NFL issue, but still.

Everyone pretends they care so much about the safety of the players, but they really don’t. Everyone still watches and mostly everyone still enjoys a big hit.

As I’ve said before. The kids who won’t be allowed to play football because mommy is scared for their brain were never the types to play big time college football anyways.

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,674
    edited May 2018
    There's a big difference between an NFL dude who plays for 20 years total and 10 of them against professional and college monsters vs a kid who plays for a few years in high school vs 180 lbs scrubs.

The only people who should be worried are people with NFL talent.

And those are exactly the people who don't give a fuck.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,521
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

There's a big difference between an NFL dude who plays for 20 years total and 10 of them against professional and college monsters vs a kid who plays for a few years in high school vs 180 lbs scrubs.

Don't give a fuck or are taking a risk based on the millions of dollars they make?

Nascar drivers die in horrible crashes but it's still going.
  • Options

You’ve got it ass backward. The real harm is happening from repetitive daily head trauma in practice. At all levels on down to Pop Warner.