Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,532
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Will Taft be to the Shoppe what Hondo is to the Tug?
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,573
    Tiesto is a bitch!

He's just jealous he didn't make Tranceport back in the 90s!
  • Options
    NEsnake12 said:

I’ll weigh in as a millennial:

Vast majority of popular artists these days care more about making hit songs than good albums, because that’s where all the money is. Consumers aren’t buying albums anymore, it’s almost entirely streaming based. And one hit song played 10 million times makes more money than a 15 track album that gets 100k hits on each track. And for lesser known bands/artists, it’s easier to sell concert tickets if you have a hit song.

Essentially, the only reason to make a great album without hit songs is if you’re both established in popularity and stable financially. Best recent example of this was Kendrick Lamar’s “To Pimp a Butterfly” which got a ton of album sales and award nominations despite no hit songs. No way Kendrick makes that album (and no way it gets the recognition it got) if he wasn’t already massively popular.

hes not. because i cant name any songs by him.

If you listen to kendrick lamar I can assure you youre a fag.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The CD has been dead since Napster. I still check out albums, but having the ability to Google the artist's best song changed things. Sifting thru an album to find the 2-3 songs you like is too much work.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,855
    Swaye's Wigwam

The CD has been dead since Napster. I still check out albums, but having the ability to Google the artist's best song changed things. Sifting thru an album to find the 2-3 songs you like is too much work.

Pretty much. I was a long time hold out for CDs but haven't bought one in years. I still play them periodically at home if I don't have a vinyl pressing of the same album and they still beat Spotify or Pandora on a home stereo by a mile.

Interestingly enough, vinyl is up to whopping 8.6% market share for albums "purchased" - i.e., LP, CDs and Downloads. The percentage drops a lot, however, when you factor in all music consumed, inc. streaming services. Still, the record companies are reinvesting in vinyl as a lucrative, albeit niche market. Sony, for instance, just announced that they will start pressing vinyl again in house for the first time since 1989.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

This is how you miss songs that kick ass. Grinder by Judas Priest and Kicked in the Teeth by AC/DC weren't hit songs, but they are great songs, and worth taking the time to find and listen to.

You're just cheating yourself by not listening to a whole "album". It would be like listening to You Shook Me All Night Long and thinking you heard everything good from Back In Black.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

This is how you miss songs that kick ass. Grinder by Judas Priest and Kicked in the Teeth by AC/DC weren't hit songs, but they are great songs, and worth taking the time to find and listen to.

You're just cheating yourself by not listening to a whole "album". It would be like listening to You Shook Me All Night Long and thinking you heard everything good from Back In Black.

One point that I don't think gets made enough as it relates to the rock of the 60's, 70' and 80's vs today, is that the further along we get it becomes harder and harder to keep reinventing the wheel. Think of it this way: Highway to Hell and B.I.B. were great albums from start to finish BUT at the point in time, AC DC, was still creating a sound that was new and fresh and had progressed a lot from Jailbreak and High Voltage. But I don't think I could even name one song of theirs past the Razor's Edge; eventually they were going to run out of ideas.

Fast forward to the new bands, and I'll ask this: How many new ideas are there left to try out? Not saying it's impossible to still write good songs, but it gets progressively harder as time goes on.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

dflea said:

One point that I don't think gets made enough as it relates to the rock of the 60's, 70' and 80's vs today, is that the further along we get it becomes harder and harder to keep reinventing the wheel. Think of it this way: Highway to Hell and B.I.B. were great albums from start to finish BUT at the point in time, AC DC, was still creating a sound that was new and fresh and had progressed a lot from Jailbreak and High Voltage. But I don't think I could even name one song of theirs past the Razor's Edge; eventually they were going to run out of ideas.

Fast forward to the new bands, and I'll ask this: How many new ideas are there left to try out? Not saying it's impossible to still write good songs, but it gets progressively harder as time goes on.
    Debateable.

Alice in Chains and Soundgarden had no problem reinventing the wheel after the rock of the 80's became a bit stale.

The artists of the 70s followed the 60s just fine, the 80s bands had no trouble following the greats of the 70s and the artists of the 90s carried on after the 80s.

Then digital streaming music and the millennials came along and fucked up the whole show.

Keep in mind that I'm kinda old and crusty so maybe it's just that I'm out of touch. I'll finish explaining when I get back from yelling at some clouds.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

dflea said:

Debateable.

Alice in Chains and Soundgarden had no problem reinventing the wheel after the rock of the 80's became a bit stale.

The artists of the 70s followed the 60s just fine, the 80s bands had no trouble following the greats of the 70s and the artists of the 90s carried on after the 80s.

Then digital streaming music and the millennials came along and fucked up the whole show.

Keep in mind that I'm kinda old and crusty so maybe it's just that I'm out of touch. I'll finish explaining when I get back from yelling at some clouds.
    Not saying it can't be done- e.g., I think the White Strips and Black Keys did some great fucking hard garage-blues rock in the early 2000's - but it's getting harder and harder to keep reinventing as time goes on. In the early 90's there was still plenty of new shit to try out.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Chinterestingly enough, CDs and Vinyl just pulled back ahead of Digital Downloads for album sales. CD's will still continue to be sold, just in a lot lower numbers- i.e., basically to old people and Wall Mart and hi-fi dudes who aren't into the vinyl thing. But streaming from the cloud is king and will continue to remain so for 99% off us.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03/23/cds-vinyl-are-outselling-digital-downloads-for-the-first-time-since-2011/
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    jesus christ. Just get spotify and be done with it you ancient shitheads

And grunge sucks
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2018

And grunge sucks

I have Spotify for work and car; it's fucking great. If you knew anything about real in-home hi-fi you young shithead you'd know it sucks for that.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750

Granted, I think there are some relatively "new" artists over the past 10- 20 years who have made great "albums" with mostly good to excellent tracks and little filler. That said Jake Browning Sucks the album is truly ded for most people I know in their 20's and 30's. They all listen to hit songs they like on Spotify, Amazon, Pandora, etc. and few have ever listened to a CD or vinyl LP all the way through. It's as though we've cum full circle- i.e., remember that prior to the mid to late 60's, in pop musak - Jazz and Classical were different, of course - the single reigned supreme and most pop LP's had a few good tracks mixes in with a bunch of crap.

Truth. I wore out my folks’ old 45s as a young kid. That’s what sold back in the day. It’s come full circle since then, except you don’t get the B sides anymore.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    edited March 2018

And grunge sucks

Compressed digital only allows you to listen to Jimmy.

You can’t Hear Jimmy unless it’s on vinyl or a “re mastered” CD.