Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

On this day in 1985

RedRocketRedRocket Member Posts: 1,527
A collection of world's greatest performing artist came together to fight hate, oppression and global poverty. One of the only singles to be certified double platinum. The fastest selling American pop single in history. An unprecedented commercial success but more importantly a historic act of courage, raising more than $63 M in humanitarian aid for Africa. We are the World is the greatest song ever written. Period.

It was released March 7 1985. This board needs it now more than ever. T & P s everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi0RpNSELas

Comments

• doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,620 Founders Club
    The world is still poor, hungry, and filled with hate

Fail
  • RedRocketRedRocket Member Posts: 1,527
    Did you guys even listen to it? The legacy section of its Wikipedia will give you chills.

Fail
    RedRocket said:

Did you guys even listen to it? The legacy section of its Wikipedia will give you chills.

I was there
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,200 Standard Supporter
    I was there too. It sucked. Africa sucks worse than it did then.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,633 Standard Supporter
    edited March 2018
    RedRocket said:

As a song, We Are the World was aight. Just aight. Nothing special (c) Bears Wiin.

It was the first guilt trip, give money deal besides Jerry Lewis' guilt trip telethon. So it was cool because it was first.

But I don't run around with a lighter up yelling "WE ARE THE WORLD!" like I do with a fucking awesome song like Freebird or Party All the Time.

Wood smash Kim Carnes, btw.

And let's not forget LaToya Jackson and Dan Ackroyd sang on it....so we are not talking Pavarotti quality here.

Do They Know Its Christmas is a far better tune.

• LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,667 Standard Supporter

Fail

but there were a bunch of promoters etc that made millions. Maybe they were in Africa. and hungry (for money)
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club
    I prefer Willie talking shit and smoking weed at Farm Aid.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    White people and Asians are never going to allow Africa to succeed.

Complete waste of time.
  • GrandpaSankeyGrandpaSankey Member Posts: 956

RedRocket said:

A collection of world's greatest performing artist came together to fight hate, oppression and global poverty. One of the only singles to be certified double platinum. The fastest selling American pop single in history. An unprecedented commercial success but more importantly a historic act of courage, raising more than $63 M in humanitarian aid for Africa. We are the World is the greatest song ever written. Period.

It was released March 7 1985. This board needs it now more than ever. T & P s everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi0RpNSELas

Is that @GrandpaSankey next to the dude in the AmeriTrade commercial?

• LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,667 Standard Supporter
    Mosster47 said:

White people and Asians are never going to allow Africa to succeed.

Complete waste of time.

Africans are never gonna let Africa succeed
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    edited March 2018
    Didn't they give all this money to the DERG, basically?

lol liberals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB1YfPTKVLI

RedRocket said:

As a song, We Are the World was aight. Just aight. Nothing special (c) Bears Wiin.

It was the first guilt trip, give money deal besides Jerry Lewis' guilt trip telethon. So it was cool because it was first.

But I don't run around with a lighter up yelling "WE ARE THE WORLD!" like I do with a fucking awesome song like Freebird or Party All the Time.

And let's not forget LaToya Jackson and Dan Ackroyd sang on it....so we are not talking Pavarotti quality here.

You would prefer Do They Known It's XMas. It's the all white, male UK version. We are the World is better because it has more diversity, more cameos, more inspiring lyrics AND was made in the USA. We are the World also saved somewhere between 5-10x the starving Africans that Do They Know It's Xmas did. It really isn't even a competition throbs. We are the World wins hands down but I applaud both for their courage.
    RedRocket said:

RedRocket said:

You would prefer Do They Known It's XMas. It's the all white, male UK version. We are the World is better because it has more diversity, more cameos, more inspiring lyrics AND was made in the USA. We are the World also saved somewhere between 5-10x the starving Africans that Do They Know It's Xmas did. It really isn't even a competition throbs. We are the World wins hands down but I applaud both for their courage.
    He prefers it for one reason

George Michael
    Swaye said:

Farm Aid is way under rated. Neil Young, John Cougar Husky Mellocamp and many others
    Swaye said:

That's what's so great about We are the World. Willie made a cameo. There was something for everyone.
    MTV was really coming into its own in 84 as well. Gave a huge boost to the whole project

You know, kids, MTV once upon a time played music videos most of the day and night
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,891 Standard Supporter
    RedRocket said:

RedRocket said:

Ah, yes. The plagiarising my shit fucko copycat is always better than the original. Indeed.