Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Which Huskies were you not excited about that actually panned out?

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,742
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Don James. James was a convenient hire for Mike Lude since they previously worked together at Kent State.

That said, it was clear from James's game 1 (1975) at Arizona State - a 35-12 loss in the desert -- that UW was a well-coached team, and that James was a solid game planner and game day coach.

Race was there
    Driving up the coast from California back home to Olympia with my girl after visiting my brother in Berkeley. Game wasn't on TV but did watch the Husky Highlights

That was a brutal schedule. It took me until they beat UCLA and USC in the same year that year to realize we had a coach even though it was a 6-5 season thanks to Al Burleson, Spider Gaines, and the coogs gonna coog.

I didn't want to fire James until we lost to Indiana the next year
  • Options
    DawgWagonDanDawgWagonDan Member Posts: 789
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Thalo Green: Upon learning that Thalo Green was a red-headed white dude with no leaping ability, I was shocked and heart-broken and expected him to suck balls (Based on name alone I expected him to be a "quick-twitch" power forward that would mash dunks); however, the crafty ginger was a solid contributor on Benders tourney teams of the late 90's and a pleasant "try-hard" surprise.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    chuck said:

salemcoog said:

Gladstone said:

again i'm pretty sure only 2011 price is being discussed and we can put to sleep any discussion that isn't centered around that version of him.

#doogitup
    Price fuck your girlfriend or something?
    Girlfriend?
  • Options
    DawgWagonDanDawgWagonDan Member Posts: 789
    dflea said:

chuck said:

salemcoog said:

Gladstone said:

again i'm pretty sure only 2011 price is being discussed and we can put to sleep any discussion that isn't centered around that version of him.

#doogitup
    Price fuck your girlfriend or something?
    Girlfriend?
    Pics?
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Don James. James was a convenient hire for Mike Lude since they previously worked together at Kent State.

That said, it was clear from James's game 1 (1975) at Arizona State - a 35-12 loss in the desert -- that UW was a well-coached team, and that James was a solid game planner and game day coach.

Race was there
    Driving up the coast from California back home to Olympia with my girl after visiting my brother in Berkeley. Game wasn't on TV but did watch the Husky Highlights

That was a brutal schedule. It took me until they beat UCLA and USC in the same year that year to realize we had a coach even though it was a 6-5 season thanks to Al Burleson, Spider Gaines, and the coogs gonna coog.

I didn't want to fire James until we lost to Indiana the next year
    I can’t remember my weekend that vividly, maybe I should give up cocaine
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,591
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Don Butler
    Chris Juergens
    Todd Elstrom
    Butler was really good. Did not see that coming. The other two were, slow white WR's but both played well for Lambo/Nue. Really did not see that coming.
  • Options
    SarkinghamSarkingham Member Posts: 286
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Up Votes

I generally hate the players so once I hate a player it's hard for me to un-hate them...

On the current team Jordan Miller is a really pleasant surprise. Looks like an alien and got lit up by Brownshorts in the last game Jake ever played that meant something to Jake. From San Diego? Lightly recruited? It's not a recipe for success... but fuck if he doesn't look damn good.

Princeton Fuimaono is a guy who I thought was a really good player for us. The Sark stench is skrong, but he was good.

Really impressed by Bull Johnson all around.

@SonnyShackelford was a lot better than I expected him to be (given that I expected a kid named Sonny from Bev Hills High to be worthless).

I thought Elliot Silvers would be a bag of trash, but he ended up being good and that was fun to the extent that rooting for a prematurely balding black guy named Elliot can be fun.

I was honestly shocked by how good David Richie was before he got injured. He was tearing people the fuck up. And he was a 6-5, 230 kid from fucking Kelso. Never liked the fact that we had a guy named David Richie and a guy named Richie Chambers.

It was also pretty surprising to me how good our OLBers in 91 were. I'm not sure I expected Andy Mason and Donald Jones to do anything interesting. Turns out they were good.

CSB time...David Richie used to be my step brother before my mom and one of his dads got divorced 15-ish years ago. Andy Mason also went to my high school, and I went to school with his younger sister (no pics, flag me). He also gave our high school football team a tour of the locker room after the spring game in 1993.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I generally hate the players so once I hate a player it's hard for me to un-hate them...

On the current team Jordan Miller is a really pleasant surprise. Looks like an alien and got lit up by Brownshorts in the last game Jake ever played that meant something to Jake. From San Diego? Lightly recruited? It's not a recipe for success... but fuck if he doesn't look damn good.

Princeton Fuimaono is a guy who I thought was a really good player for us. The Sark stench is skrong, but he was good.

@SonnyShackelford was a lot better than I expected him to be (given that I expected a kid named Sonny from Bev Hills High to be worthless).

I thought Elliot Silvers would be a bag of trash, but he ended up being good and that was fun to the extent that rooting for a prematurely balding black guy named Elliot can be fun.

I was honestly shocked by how good David Richie was before he got injured. He was tearing people the fuck up. And he was a 6-5, 230 kid from fucking Kelso. Never liked the fact that we had a guy named David Richie and a guy named Richie Chambers.

It was also pretty surprising to me how good our OLBers in 91 were. I'm not sure I expected Andy Mason and Donald Jones to do anything interesting. Turns out they were good.

CSB time...David Richie used to be my step brother before my mom and one of his dads got divorced 15-ish years ago. Andy Mason also went to my high school, and I went to school with his younger sister (no pics, flag me). He also gave our high school football team a tour of the locker room after the spring game in 1993.
    CSB.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,645
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I think one of the greatest loads of horseshit Husky fans have ever bought into was Keith Price sucking.

By no means was he great, but after all of Doog Nation sucking off Jack Lockner for 5 years to ultimately beat a unchinterested Nebraska team in the Holiday Bowl - the attacks on Price were total bullshit. Price won more, played better, and wasn’t nearly injured as much as Jack.

And those attacks were born from and fed to the doog masses by Steve Sarkisian via the Doogmen. And if none of you think this isn’t true then jump into a fucking fire.

The excuses were just awful.

“Keith isn’t Sark’s Guy, Nick Montana is”
    “Trust issues”
    “He’s broken”
    “It’s not the O line’s fault he’s getting decapitated”
    “He’s hesitant”
    “He’s not LETTING IT RIP”

These were all Sark’s words to the Doogmen to “leak” out on their message boards.

@Tequilla might be correct about his expectations of Price, but if he ever sucked off Lockner for not meeting the same standards then he should jump into a fire as well.

I mean, if Lockner has already had his own Husky Legend Day, then Keith Price should have had six of them by now.

Doogmen and their sycophants hated Stanback for being better than their boys Carl 5-pick and Durocher and for being more valuable to the team as QB than utility athlete. They hated Price for being being better than Locker and for being a weak excuse for Sark's mediocrity.

I'll never forget the dumbfuck (davef) who, for years after he was gone, continued to call Stanback selfish for "insisting" on playing QB. Not surprising at all that davef was also an unceasing critic of Price.
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment

A Mark Morris Monarch, I presume.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I’ll take revisionist history for 300, Alex.
  • Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Kevin King, Sidney Jones
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,607
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    AIRWOLF said:

Mark Morrison, I presume.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB1D9wWxd2w
  • Options
    AIRWOLF said:

Correct!
  • Options
    TheHB said:

AIRWOLF said:

Our colors were "Columbia blue and scarlet" aka powder blue (think Houston Oilers) and red. So...yes!