Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Treshaun Harrison Update

Comments

• Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Pretty soon he'll stay close to home ... at Pacific Lutheran university.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    If either qb has the arm strength, who's got the better brain talent?

The Brady factor.
  • Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    BallzDeep said:

BallzDeep said:

dnc said:

AZDuck said:

dnc said:

AZDuck said:

We lost out on Hufanga, so we might as well get the best player out of your dreckfest state.

I know you're being sarcasmic but Kyler Gordon has already signed his LOI
    Jacob Sirmon true?!@11/!!?11?!!
    Yeah I edited it.

I don't even believe Jake is better than Harrison.
    Sirmon is the best 2018 recruit in the Northwest. No other position can beat a QB with NFL size and arm talent. Saying anybody in the Northwest is a better prospect than Sirmon is stupid. He plays the most important position on the field with NFL talent..
    He's not even the best QB in the northwest, Yankoff is.

Togiai and Hufunga say fuck off as well.

Sirmon has more arm talent than Yankoff. Nobody knows how either will adjust and develop at the college level so the only way to rank them is by their physical attributes. For QB's you go with the guy with more arm talent because being able to throw the ball is more important for a QB than being able to run it. So Sirmon > Yankoff as a prospect. And again, the QB position is way more important than DT or Safety.
    Guy who walks onto campus a great player (i.e. Togiai, Hufanga)>Guy with 81% chance of being a great player.
  • Options
    jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    BallzDeep said:

BallzDeep said:

BallzDeep said:

dnc said:

AZDuck said:

dnc said:

AZDuck said:

We lost out on Hufanga, so we might as well get the best player out of your dreckfest state.

I know you're being sarcasmic but Kyler Gordon has already signed his LOI
    Jacob Sirmon true?!@11/!!?11?!!
    Yeah I edited it.

I don't even believe Jake is better than Harrison.
    Sirmon is the best 2018 recruit in the Northwest. No other position can beat a QB with NFL size and arm talent. Saying anybody in the Northwest is a better prospect than Sirmon is stupid. He plays the most important position on the field with NFL talent..
    He's not even the best QB in the northwest, Yankoff is.

Togiai and Hufunga say fuck off as well.

Sirmon has more arm talent than Yankoff. Nobody knows how either will adjust and develop at the college level so the only way to rank them is by their physical attributes. For QB's you go with the guy with more arm talent because being able to throw the ball is more important for a QB than being able to run it. So Sirmon > Yankoff as a prospect. And again, the QB position is way more important than DT or Safety.
    Are we just forgetting about athleticism? Yes, Sirmon has a more talented arm. If you graded QB recruit tools on a scale of 1-100, let's say Sirmon's arm enters at a 90 and Yankoff's is an 75. Obviously you want the 90 more if all your offense does is pro style passing, ignoring mental stuff. However, let's say Yankoff's run tool evaluates to an 80 and Sirmon gets a 40. Weight it for importance (arm, say, *1.5) and Sirmon=175 and Yankoff= 192.5. Obviously, this is a terrible fucking method but you get the point. Don't be a retard.
    Factor in how many times the average QB runs per game versus passing which would minimize Yankoff's advantage as an athlete; therefore, it's still Sirmon > Yankoff.
    A) I specifically noted the method I used was a heaping Ektardian pile of inaccurate shit and B) I literally weighted passing as higher in said pile of shit Ektardian equation. Reading is hard
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Browning’s accurate and a real film room junkie ... how is that working out for us against elite teams?

Brady is in a small handful of QBs to ever play the game. Expecting any QB to have his attributes is FS.

The arm talent of guys like Eason and Sirmon is special and something you can’t teach. Yes, there are a lot of “soft skills” to playing QB that go above and beyond arm talent ... but you are ALWAYS taking the arm talent everything being equal.

As for running QBs, they should only run when needed. It’s a good way to play your backup QB.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    RealRhino said:

Tequilla said:

Browning’s accurate and a real film room junkie ... how is that working out for us against elite teams?

The arm talent of guys like Eason and Sirmon is special and something you can’t teach. Yes, there are a lot of “soft skills” to playing QB that go above and beyond arm talent ... but you are ALWAYS taking the arm talent everything being equal.

As for running QBs, they should only run when needed. It’s a good way to play your backup QB.

No offense, Tequilla, because I like your work, but some of that doesn't quite make sense.

If "everything" else is equal, sure, you are taking arm talent. OTOH, if everything else is equal, you are taking accuracy. Or defense reading/film study. Or situational awareness. Because that "everything else" would include arm talent, just like your "everything else" would include those other attributes. So your statement has no real meaning.

I agree with Millen: throw to the right guy, at the right time, with accuracy. Most important things. None of that (maybe right time, a little) deals with "arm talent." Gotta look at the whole toolbox. I agree that arm talent helps in that you get more wiggle room, and on certain throws (e.g., WR screens) velocity can get you extra yardage.

Josh Allen has amazing arm talent, but any time Wyoming took a slight step up in competition they got smoked and he looked bad. More than velocity to playing QB. Ditto Sam Darnold against elite teams this year, even though he has above-average arm talent.

Disagree about running QBs in college. Seems like most guys get through a 12-game season healthy despite running. Besides, if you run your QB a lot, it's usually because he's not a great pro QB, which means your backup isn't as big of a dropoff.
    *SWOON*
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,257
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think my attitude at this point is a DDY "Fuck it, I'm not sure who will be better but I'm glad we will have talent and depth at the position to create competition."

There's just too many variables to be 100% sold on any kid as a QB. IDGF which of Eason, Sirmon, or Yankoff starts just as long as whoever does is GOOD and we can move on from having incredible defenses waisted by mediocre qb play.
  • Options
    RealRhinoRealRhino Member Posts: 615

I think my attitude at this point is a DDY "Fuck it, I'm not sure who will be better but I'm glad we will have talent and depth at the position to create competition."

There's just too many variables to be 100% sold on any kid as a QB. IDGF which of Eason, Sirmon, or Yankoff starts just as long as whoever does is GOOD and we can move on from having incredible defenses waisted by mediocre qb play.

This is where I'm at. Too many variables. OTOH I do sort of agree with Teq that arm talent is a good baseline measurable when scouting. IOW, it's probably the one thing on film where you can draw a bright line and say everybody above the line, we keep looking, everybody below the line, fuck off. Anything above "good enough" is a bonus, like having another skill.

I think accuracy and motion/release/mechanics is close to arm talent (which I take to mean velocity and, to a lesser extent, the ability to make different kinds of throws). I think you can look at a QB on film and pass or keep looking based just on those things. And then when you've sorted by those, then you get into the intangibles.
  • Options
    RealRhinoRealRhino Member Posts: 615
    BTW, the process I just described is how I think Petersen evaluates/recruits. I'm doing a lot of paraphrasing and extrapolating from his comments, but he described seeing recruits through a sort of can play/can't play prism, without degrees. IOW, (at least at first) he doesn't look at a Richard Newton and think, "He's good, I want him," and then look at an Austin Jones and think, "He's great, I really want him." Instead, in both cases, he looks and thinks, "He's good enough to succeed at this level, I want to find out more about him."

He described assistants being upset with him because they make those distinctions watching film and he doesn't. They'll be super excited to show him film of some kid they think is a super, 5-star, can't miss guy and he doesn't get as excited. He says, okay, he looks like he can play.