Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Too White to Win (now enhanced with an evolutionary biology lecture!)

Comments

• Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment

dnc said:

Here's a big question, can a black coach do a better job of making the slow strategy approach appeal to black kids? Obviously Bonerpopper and Lake do the best job of bringing in black kids on the staff, but they also recruit the blackest positions. Are they getting black kids because they're black, or because that's the position they recruit? I'm guessing with Lake it's A and Keif it's B. Would a black coach on the DL or LB do a better job getting Fast Strategy kids to buy into Slow Strategy life? Obviously it would have to be the right black coach, but it seems likely the answer is yes.

The next question is how well do poly coaches sell fast strategy to black kids since we have two on our staff and another poised to be promoted?

Final thought - how the fuck did Huff pull Curne from Texas??? That might have been the recruiting job of the year.

I think curne comes from a fairly nice middle class black family that understand what Pete is selling. If curne was from the hood, then a different story. @Tequilla is the high school curne went to in the hood?
    The correct person to ask here is @WilburHooksHands - he's the keeper of all Houston knowledge.
    Hurtful
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,044
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AZDuck said:

dnc said:

@Dennis_DeYoung you forgot the Zulus in Soufffff Africa. Those guys tear shit up.

In sports? I don't follow soccer, so they well could... there are a lot of theories about why West Africans seem to be so dominant in sport, but a) it doesn't seem equally distributed across all Africa and b) there's not really a good handle on it right now, partially because it's so controversial of a topic.
    Having read Soccernomics I can actually weigh in on this. South Africa (the country) is a very interestic example because of Apartheid. Obviously it caused the socioeconomic divide to split exactly based on racial differences. Even to this day, rich, middle class and poor are basically the exact same groops as white, mix-raced, and black.

In South Africa, whites dominate rugby, whereas mixed-raced dominate soccer. Rugby is basically the rich people sport for cultural reasons. Soccer is the most popular sport, but is still dominated by mixed-race players, even though it's a smaller portion of the population than white people.

For the record, the population breakdown (according to wikipedia) is this: Black 67%, White 21%, Mixed 9%. So why have mixed-race players dominated South Africa's most popular sport since the fall of Apartheid? The answer is really simple: They're in the sweet spot.

Black people in South Africa often live in abject poverty. They often don't have access to enough food or medicine to develop physically, nor do they have the free time to pursue sports even if they did, in a lot of cases. Plus, y'know, AIDS.

White people on the other hand, live a lot more comfortably. The will have a nice life even if they don't succeed in sports. The few that decide to pursue sports anyway usually end up in Rugby or Cricket. Or legless running (not really).

Mixed-race people are poor enough to pursue sports as a way out, but not so poor that they don't have food and medicine to physically develop. Pretty much the same as urban black kids in America. That's why they succeed in sports at a very disproportionate rate.

This is obviously very simplified, but it's the essence of it.
    Good chit. This is definitely the smartest thread of 2018. I'm learning and shit.
    This is a pretty fascinating concept - in part because the science of it starts to veer toward verboten topics like eugenics and the Bell Curve. But of course, there are both genetic and sociological factors present WRT athletic performance.

I think it is difficult for laypersons to distinguish between the real science and the junk science and to avoid lazy generalizations.

This is a good discussion though.
    I was going to go all Middlebury for a moment before realizing this was a really good poast.

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited January 2018

Swaye said:

@Dennis_DeYoung you forgot the Zulus in Soufffff Africa. Those guys tear shit up.

In sports? I don't follow soccer, so they well could... there are a lot of theories about why West Africans seem to be so dominant in sport, but a) it doesn't seem equally distributed across all Africa and b) there's not really a good handle on it right now, partially because it's so controversial of a topic.
    Having read Soccernomics I can actually weigh in on this. South Africa (the country) is a very interestic example because of Apartheid. Obviously it caused the socioeconomic divide to split exactly based on racial differences. Even to this day, rich, middle class and poor are basically the exact same groops as white, mix-raced, and black.

In South Africa, whites dominate rugby, whereas mixed-raced dominate soccer. Rugby is basically the rich people sport for cultural reasons. Soccer is the most popular sport, but is still dominated by mixed-race players, even though it's a smaller portion of the population than white people.

For the record, the population breakdown (according to wikipedia) is this: Black 67%, White 21%, Mixed 9%. So why have mixed-race players dominated South Africa's most popular sport since the fall of Apartheid? The answer is really simple: They're in the sweet spot.

Black people in South Africa often live in abject poverty. They often don't have access to enough food or medicine to develop physically, nor do they have the free time to pursue sports even if they did, in a lot of cases. Plus, y'know, AIDS.

White people on the other hand, live a lot more comfortably. The will have a nice life even if they don't succeed in sports. The few that decide to pursue sports anyway usually end up in Rugby or Cricket. Or legless running (not really).

Mixed-race people are poor enough to pursue sports as a way out, but not so poor that they don't have food and medicine to physically develop. Pretty much the same as urban black kids in America. That's why they succeed in sports at a very disproportionate rate.

This is obviously very simplified, but it's the essence of it.
    I can confirm this. However, my RSA side of the family is very wealthy. They moved to Canada in the late 70s but in SA they were objectively in the middle class. Mixed race families in RSA can really range from wealthy to poor depending on if the father/male is black or white.
    If you are mixed race you should be a shoe in for UW. Worked for me.
    #fauxcahontas

Just kidding...
    I have high cheek bones man.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,755
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    BlastDoor said:

It's great, I forgot that this board has a token black, a token native, a token asian. I can see how I fit in as a token latino. It's like I was born to do this. Now we just need a poly man so we can be a truly multiethnical board.

Now you're getting it.
  • Options
    BlastDoor said:

BlastDoor said:

It's great, I forgot that this board has a token black, a token native, a token asian. I can see how I fit in as a token latino. It's like I was born to do this. Now we just need a poly man so we can be a truly multiethnical board.

You might want to meet our token Latina

@allpurpleallgold
    I don't get the joke, but I'll upvote so I feel like a part of group.
    And now you're REALLY getting it.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Swaye said:

I'll just leave this here.

Holy fuckall. I had no idea that generally poly>>>black>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>white

Thanks for posting that. With this knowledge our usual class should look just like this years. Load up on Poly's on either line and at LB (third of the class), load up on blacks at all skill positions and DB (third of the class), grab whites if you have to for QB, WTE and OL (third of the class). BAM. That's the way to do this.
    So, I think we are making progress with Polys, clearly... one thing we don't really have any data on is mixed-race kids. For instance, we seem to be able to recruit players with one white parent (Spiker, Lowe, Gordon), but how are we doing with players who have two garden variety AfAm parents (non African).

For me, I'm not really making a eugenics argument, but what I'm doing is saying - can we win with a strategy that seems to require one white parent?

Part of this has to do with the fact that our messaging in recruiting is going to primarily appeal to middle class kids who have had stable environments in childhood.

THIS IS GOING TO BE AN IMPORTANT POINT SO PAY ATTENTION:
    (here's a seminal paper in this area if you are really curious)

Humans generally fall into two camps: SLOW STRATEGY and FAST STRATEGY.

Here are the characteristics of each...

The reason this matters for recruiting is the following, most recruits are going to be FAST strategy.

You tend to become FAST strategy (I am) if you had a poor womb environment (I'm adopted, my biological mother was a heroin addict) and unstable environments in early childhood (we were poor and my dad was a raging weirdo). The evolutionary logic goes like this: shit, things are fucked up - I'm going to need to reproduce, better get to puberty fast (this is why chicks at ghetto junior highs have bigger boobs), be impulsive and fuck a lot.

You tend to become SLOW strategy (I am not) if you had a good womb environment (prenatal care, lots of nutrition, not too much stress) and a predictable, stable early childhood environment (enough to eat, etc). The evolutionary logic goes like this: hey, things are good, let's build a palace - I know that takes time, but we have the resources to do it. Everything should be carefully done with an eye toward the future.

This is generally why white people (in the US) are boring and great innovators in creative endeavors tend to come from disadvantaged back-grounds.

What this has to do with recruiting is obvious: we are basically optimizing our program to appeal to SLOW STRATEGY kids. This means that telling a FAST STRATEGY kid, 'this is going to be the hardest thing you'll ever do' is probably not going to be a message that resonates.

There are two reasons why I think this is an unfortunate recruiting pitch.

1. You are basically eliminating fast strategy kids from contention (and those are generally going to be what poor kids are).
    2. You deny the awesome benefits of Pete's program to those kids because of their lack of ability to appreciate it on the front end.

Anyway, that's your evolutionary biology lecture for today, but I think one reason we are getting whiter and whiter (most of what we call 'black' kids on our team have non-black parents), is that we are primarily appealing to SLOW STRATEGY kids. There are just WAY more white kids like that and kids like Terrell Bynum who are from middle + classes.

If you've ever watched the 30 for 30 on the Fab 5 and their criticisms of guys like Grant Hill, this is the essence of that difference (though there are amplifying cultural factors, obviously).

I just don't think we can win Natties with a program that is tailored to appeal to and serve SLOW STRATEGY kids. I think we need to make some room for getting FAST STRATEGY kids in the program and working with them when they're here. Research shows that FAST strategy kids do exceptionally well in good, supportive environments, by the way.
    Chincredible post. I will say this. No matter the recruiting strategy, UW is not winning several natties. That’s reality. That’s obviously the goal, but it’s never going to happen, and it will get even harder with an expanded playoff which will inevitably happen.

Still, nobody could argue that more fast strategy kids would be beneficial to better football teams.
  • Options
    DawgDaze71DawgDaze71 Member Posts: 705
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Shit man this is a tough one. I mean black folks aren't sprinkled with magic fairy dust but it sure looks that way when you watch Bama's roided up team. Maybe we should schedule Grambling or something and kick the shit out of them to level set a bit.
  • Options

tvoie said:

I am not sure if I should be astounded or offended by all of this. I am really conflicted. But I will admit this is super interesting, and I presume, relevant. This place is so fucking bizarre.

Agreed.

I love this board because there are a lot of smart people here that know shit that I don’t. And the board is also great because we are better than other sites where you have to pay for info you can get here (minus Ruth, Ruth is the GOAT).

So this thread is really serious and basically graduate level stuff is being discussed in a sane manner. Meanwhile at Dawgman, they are trying to figure out how to start a fire with sticks and hurling their feces at each other.

Anyways, love you all.
    Would all you fuckos stop plagiarisming my shit? Shit is my bailiwick.
  • Options
    tvoietvoie Member Posts: 996
    Not to be a contrarian, but based on the Fast strategy I should have been a great athlete. I wasn’t.