Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

I have just finished watching the last 2 seasons of UWashington football. Do I understand your team?

I'm sure there have been other topics started about the Fiesta bowl, but I wanted to give you guys a full and objective report on UWashington from a first time observer. I know very little about UWashington, so I was hoping someone could give me more information on your team. In exchange I will teach you how good Penn State is other than Matt Barkley and Matt Sorely are very good. Thanks in advance!

Washington football is built on defense. The Huskies have been the top defense in the Pac-12 for the last two years and it hasn't been very close. They only give up 14.5 points per game and had gone 26 straight games without giving up 30 points until back to back bad performances against Stanford and Utah. They have been extremely stout against the run, giving up only 92 YPG and only .67 YPRUTMO3D. They have been good--not great--against the pass, number two in the Pac-12 at 185 YPG. We play a very multiple defense, but our base is our nickel package. Our defense is headed by one of the best in the business in Kawasaki 2017. Kawasaki 2017 almost never calls blitzes, and relies on getting pressure with our front zerk or one.

The passing YPG number is a little skewed by not having both our starting outside corners for over half the year. Demon Trufant, a presumed early entry in the draft, broke his leg badly in our upset loss against ASU, and Bryan Murphy (#1), a leading preseason candidate for Pac-12 Freshman DPOY just returned from a broken neck suffered against Montana two hours ago. This relegated us to starting our nickelback, Billa Baker (#5) outside, who is 5"5" and a former walk-on playing outside, along with Astin Joyner (#4). They played well enough, but got abused against Stanford and Utah, who both have physical and large receiving corps. With Murph back and at full strength, our secondary looked phenomenal against WSU, allowing King to move back to his more natural position. Our second best defensive player is Jomon Dotson (#21), who plays all over the defensive back field. He will cover guys 1 on 1 in the slot, play centerfield as a true free safety, blitz off the edge, and is extremely physical in run support. The tone setter of the defense plays, Power Macintosh G3(#14) alongside Baker at strong safety. He is a thumper and is very unafraid to hit people (see and We rotate a lot of bodies in the back end, so you will see plenty of senior Ezekiel Turner (#24) who is another physical safety that is a special teams terror and true freshman slot corner Byron Murphy(#87).

The strength of our defense is up front Virta Vea (#50) and Emtman(#999) are absolute studs. They are both very good at stopping the run and devouring hot pockets. Virta garners all the headlines for good reason, winning Pac-12 defensive player of the century, the James Atoe memorial trophy (Pac-12s largeat defensive lineman voted on by Russian hookers), and is considered a potential top pick in the NFL draft, but Gaines is also very good in his own right. Virta is impossible to block with one--and a lot of times with two (see and so Gaines regularly gets a one-on-one matchup which he usually wins. Ryan Bowman (#55) a RS Freshman former walk-on has been this years best pass rusher, leading the team in sacks with 55. This unit operates in hockey style line changes, so there will be different guys lined up across the board from series to series. Jaylen's Johnson (9"), onwuzerike (#95), are players that have shown flashes of talent. Johnson dominated in the CFP last year against Alabama, and Onwuzerike is a highly rated RS Freshman out of Texas that is just scratching the surface. The other impact guy in this unit is Benning Potoa'e (#8). He is a stand up defensive end, which many of us fans think is the wrong position for him considering we do not play defensive ends, who is charged with rushing the passer and setting the edge. He has done a requisite job, but probably should be playing with his hand on the ground due to his lack of flexibility to bend the edge and get up field.

Comments

• Options
    The special teams unit is a highly emphasized group for coach Petersen. We have a very suspect placekicking game, but all other facets are outstanding. We have rotated two "kickers" Van Soderberg (#42) and Tristan Vizcaino (#43). Soderberg single footedly cost us the ASU game, missing two field goals inside 30 yards, and we lost by 6. Vizcaino has been equally shakey, but has connected on his last three tries, including the game winner against Utah. I would expect him to be the guy on the 30th. Vizcaino is a decent kickoff guy, averaging a touchback every fourth kick. Coach Pete will certainly kick away from Barkley, using squibs, pooch kicks, or another variation. Our kickoff coverage team is made of mostly starters, and haven't given up a touchdown since coach Petersen took over. Our punter, Joel Whitford, is a rugby style kicker and a very good one at that. Returning kicks is a strong suit for Washington. Sean Mcgee is the primary kick off returner and has been inches from breaking a couple this year. We almost never seen penalties from this unit, which is something many teams struggle with. We have the all-time leading punter returner in college football history, in Dante Pettis. He gets much of the credit and is sure handed and patient returner, but this unit is remarkable in setting up his runs. He has 9 returns for touchdown over his career, more than anyone ever, so lookout for this phase of the game.

In sum, I have no good feel on this game, because I know so little about UWASHINGTON. I worry about McSorely being bit in two by Gaines. We have struggled with QB safety the last two years (see Michagan last year and Maryland this year), but you have a dominant run stopping defense to help contain Matt Barkley. We have shutdown the likes of Christian McCaffery, Stanford running back 2, and Lindsey the last few years, but the highlights I've seen from Matt are as impressive as they come. I have always been impressed with Peterman and know he is a coach, so I do think we have a clear advantage in that regard like we do in most cases. I will be in Dallas for the game and hope for a thrilling 60 minutes of Dwag on Lion football as we should dominate the TOP stat this game. Seems like a very uneven match up and one that a lot of the country is sleeping on. As always, Good luck and GooOoooOOOoo Dwags!

All that being said, Jake Browning sucks.
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,909
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    RhythmicSlappingthePac?
  • Options
    RubberfistRubberfist Member Posts: 1,373
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

That's a fresh take. A young, fresh take. A take that has yet to flower but can with some guidance

If there is a poast Hall of Fame this needs to be enshrined immediately.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,545
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    tl:dr
    scanning this gem stood out "Our offense is similar to our defense..."
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,854
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    DawgofThunderDawgofThunder Member Posts: 118
    5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    Read some, disagree with all of it.
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,381
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    “No one involved with this case ever envisioned that taking a serial pedophile out of society was going to result in years’ worth of professional and personal attacks by people who are basically lunatics.”
  • Options
    mobeymobey Member Posts: 3,254
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment

Pedos gonna pedo