Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

TSiO DDY Breakdown 2018 Early Signees: Offense (Skill Players)

Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
We're about to pod - we wanted to provide you with our “OFFICIAL DDY RATINGS” for the Early 2018 Signees. Comments welcome (and may get you a shoutout) but dissent will not be tolerated!

Jacob Sirmon (6’4 227 QB) Hudl

Coker: This is the best QB prospect I have seen come into UW since I have been TBS’ing. He makes some throws you won’t see from over 50% of NFL QB’s. He has a knack for standing in the pocket and avoiding the rush and actually throws very well on the run. I can’t get over some of the throws he makes in his hudl. He can push the ball down the field and just survey from the pocket, and he can also get the ball out to the edge in a hurry with that arm. Excited to see what happens with him. DDY3

Dennis: Wrist-flicking arm power, good when the defense is distorted, moves well enough to get a first down here and there. Intuitively accurate, good mechanics when he concentrates. This guy has a ceiling that looks a lot like Sam Darnold. He just has that ability to make plays from the QB position and throws accurately and with a variety of trajectories and speeds. Absolute stud. DDY3

Colson Yankoff (6’4 204 QB) Hudl

Coker: Super high ceiling player. He doesn’t have the arm that a lot of guys have, but it is serviceable for sure. What separates him is his initial burst and running ability. His verified combine numbers are incredible: 4.74 40, 4.16 Shuttle, 38” vertical… unreal. But he is also a very accurate thrower of the ball. I love his game and I cannot freaking wait to see the QB battle after Browning leaves. DDY2

Dennis: This is a guy who can be as good as anyone’s ever been at QB for UW. He’s like a big Mark Brunell (aka Isaiah Stanback) in a lot of respects. When Brunell arrived, he only really ran straight and threw one speed (fast) with one trajectory (line drive). He’s a stud and hyper competitive. I’m hopeful we will see him hit his ceiling, but his floor is a skinny kid with one type of ball who tries to take off every other play (like Mark Brunell). DDY2

Richard Newton (6’0.5” 183 RB) Hudl (First 3 games)

Coker: Better than Chris Brown is my assessment. Not great top end speed and doesn’t jump out on film as a HS RB, that’s not really a great sign to me. DDY2

Dennis: He has some size to him and he has good body lean. Just from tape, he’s a DDY1 because you never see him break anything and his lateral movement is limited. I sort of want to bump him up because I know we saw him in camp and that is pretty diagnostic. Still, Bonapha is a lazy recruiter, so it might mean a double-lazy recruitment. He has a compact side-to-side movement that I don’t really like, because you want guys who bounce. Speed is not great either. I think he’s a poor man’s Kamari Pleasant. DDY1

Austin Osborne (6’2 188 WR) Hudl

Coker: The best west coast WR film I have seen since I have been heavily TBS’ing (8 years). I watched all 8 minutes of his hudl just simply for the entertainment. He has feet that move like Bing Crosby and catches everything with his hands. His burst off the line of scrimmage is shocking. Massive, massive ceiling, and it would not shock me at all if he broke the all-time reception mark at UW when his career is over. Teams are going to struggle mightily covering this guy. DDY 3

Dennis: You’re talking about a kid with sewing needle feet that catches like Larry Fitzgerald. One of the biggest catching radiuses I’ve seen on a HS WR. Feet never stop moving and he can create separation so naturally. One of the most impressive kids in terms of overall speed, but his main adjustment is going to be changing speeds running routes. However, that’s learnable - his foot speed in and out of breaks is insane, his hands are unreal and his body control is gorgeous. DDY3

Marquis Spiker (6’3 180 WR) Hudl (Single Game, Sr. Year)

Coker: I cannot wait to see his full Sr. Highlights. Marquis is a fantastic prospect. He has a little hunch in his back when he runs which makes him not look as athletic, but then you realize no one can make angles on him, it’s very deceiving. He is terrific at adjusting to the ball and catches everything with his hands. He will play at 200 one day at UW and is another guy with an elite ceiling. The Hot Boy$ will have fun with this one. DDY 3

Dennis: Another Larry Fitzgerald type for us, long-strider with a great catch-radius and natural hands. This is a guy who just understands how to move his body in space. He can change speeds as a runner and then let his stride out and get going. He should become a great route-runner and will be confusing as shit to DBs because no one that big normally can move that effortlessly. Very fluid for his size. DDY3

Trey Lowe (5’7 174 WR/RB) Hudl

Coker: I personally see a full time RB, and it may happen someday, but it appears he will be in the Chico role when he comes to UW. Lowe has elite lateral ability, he leaves guys grasping at air with lateral cuts that eat up a good three yards. He is going to be an absolute nightmare for teams to deal with, even at the Chico spot, because he is so sudden in everything he does. I love his game. DDY 2

Dennis: As a receiver I think he’s a DDY2 and as a RB I think he’s a DDY3 - what’s the difference? Well as a receiver, I like him, but if you are tiny you are hard to get the ball to and he isn’t the kind of guy who can take the top off a defense. However, as a runner, I see him as so similar to Myles Gaskin - he keeps everyone off balance while he knows exactly when to burst or shift to get extra yards. He’s confusing as a RB, but as a pass-catcher he’s a guy that I think can be good. In traffic is where he shines. DDY2

Devin Culp (6’3 235 TE) Hudl

Coker: The first true dual threat TE under Petersen. Devin has the ability to be a great blocker, but also a very good receiver. And in the offense UW runs, that is going to be a bitch to deal with for teams. I think he could play at 250, rather easily and probably maintain his speed. I don’t think there is a better fit out there at TE for the way we utilize the position. He looks like a giant running wing-T as the wing, it’s freaking hilarious watching his hudl. Enjoy. DDY2

Dennis: Elite ceiling, great burst for a guy who has a big frame like him, his hands are big and good. Right now he hasn’t really played traditional TE or receiver. He’s played RB and excelled at it, but he’s going to have to become a different player as drive blocking is going to become one of his primary responsibilities. I think he can do it, but there are slightly too many ‘ifs’ to put him as a DDY3. However, this is a guy who, if he can put it together, be a very similar player to Drew Sample in the run game and like Dave Williams (look it up!) in the pass game. DDY2

Comments

• Options
    YouNeed2ChillYouNeed2Chill Member Posts: 57
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    I think worse case scenario Culp is a bigger framed Darrell Daniels. If he actually has hands and can track the ball in the air him and black beast will make a boner-inducing tandem.
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    Dennis bumped Dick Nut down to a DDY1? At least I won't be alone in looking stupid when he outperforms every expectation.

Also, Sirmon's ability to feel the rush and slide around the pocket makes me hard. That combined with his ability to throw to every part of the field and to throw ropes while rolling out makes him the antithesis of Brownsocks.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

Surprised to hear sirmon is thought of higher than skinny from an all time perspective. I liked Eason better. Either way yankoff will explode on the scene.

Sirmon is not more highly thought of than Skinny in my head. I like Skinny better. But they are both outstanding.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,092
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Not enough discussion about teen boy ass in this thread. Disappointing
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Spiker will be better than Osborne at UW (by a nose)
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,596
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Ted Ginn ran all hunched over. I always thought it looked funny until he blew away from people. I know Spiker doesn't have that kind of elite top end speed but if he has a career at UW similar to Ginn at TOSU that would make me rethink the shabby state of my sweatpants.
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,504
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    When I watched Spiker’s film, I kept seeing a slightly smaller version of AJ Green. He’s long, smooth, and deceptive. This is an amazing group of players. Except Dick Nut. GHTFOH.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Good stuff with all of these. That said, you have Yankoff and Sirmon’s rankings mixed up.
  • Options

Good stuff with all of these. That said, you have Yankoff and Sirmon’s rankings mixed up.

Sirmon’s ceiling is much higher than Yankoff’s ... hate to break that to you
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2017
    Tequilla said:

This is dumb. Yankoff has a higher floor and they both have equally massive ceilings. Sirmon might have a slightly higher NFL ceiling but their college ceilings are both Heisman Trophy high if they put it all together. No one has a higher college ceiling than Yankoff.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

This is dumb. Yankoff has a higher floor and they both have equally massive ceilings. Sirmon might have a slightly higher NFL ceiling but their college ceilings are both Heisman Trophy high if they put it all together. No one has a higher college ceiling than Yankoff.
    You are David Shaw FS with this ...

I don’t give 2 shits whether you hate Sirmon because DJ decides that performance on a high school field means jack shit or because you think it will be cool some day to say that you Yankoff for Yankoff.

If you can't see that Sirmon has an insane amount of arm talent and particularly that he has way more arm talent than Yankoff then you should have your TBS talking ability taken away from you. Yankoff may be talented and whatnot but Sirmon has the kind of arm talent that is elite at the national level. The fucking film shows that. The throws he makes if you put that on college film you are fucking jazzing in your shorts ... to get that out of a HS kid ... FUCK OFF.

The Sirmon hate is insanely fucking stupid. He's an elite kid. If Yankoff beats him out ... then good on him. But if you tell me right now that Browning is hurt and we need a QB to play come Game #1 of next year versus Auburn and I have to choose between Yankoff and Sirmon, it's Sirmon by a mile. Anybody that disagrees is a fucking idiot.
  • Options
    Fear_BonerFear_Boner Member Posts: 758
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Haener is dead man walking. I agree with Teq that Sirmon’s arm is elite. And anyone who hates on him needs to Doog harder. That said, I’m hoping we’ve got Hobert/Brunell 2.0 on the horizon.