Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

2016 and 2017 were the years. Fuck.

2»

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

Pete has a ways to go when it comes to recruiting the program changing blue chips. Definite weak spot of his coaching at the moment. He knows he needs those guys though and it’s dumb to think he is content with the weak areas of the team. I’m sure he is trying to figure out ways to improve this. Shit just doesn’t happen overnight though.

Problem is that historically UW doesn't generally win recruiting battles for those types of kids ...

If you go back to the Don James years, our goal was to identify the 3 best SoCal players at a position and assumed that one was going to USC, one was going to UCLA, and the other one better damn well be going to UW. From there, it was all about developing the player that chose us to be better than UCLA or USC ... and add a giant chip on the shoulder to go with it.

Some variation of that is always going to be our blueprint.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

Tequilla said:

guntlove said:

dnc said:

They were great opportunities. They won't be the only ones Pete has.

The DL might dropoff (okay, almost certainly will). But the improvement at QB, WR and OC in the coming years will make up for it and then some. OL too most likely.

Disagree.

Improvements at QB & WR aren't going to mean much if the OL they have blocking for them is total shit. And after next season, because of Strausser's recruiting, that's what's going to happen.

Huff's been a huge step up, but we're going to have the same problem at OL that we had at WR this year... except worse, because unlike WR, offensive linemen very rarely contribute their first couple of years in the program.

The exact same thing will happen on the DL starting in 2019, sooner if Levi or String get hurt next season. Our OL & DL depth and talent going forward is a fucking joke compared to the teams we aspire to compete with.

Praise allah that Petersen was smart enough to fuck-can Strausser & Pease. He needs to do the same with Malloe, and I'm confident he will. But even if/when he does... we're not going to sniff the playoffs for a bunch of years because of the massive recruiting failures on both lines during the last couple of years.
    I disagree big time with the OL comments ...

The OL next year has a chance to be our best OL in a while. I'm thinking the starting 5 next year will be in some order Adams - Bain - Harris - Wattenberg - McGary ... that's going to be a really good OL. We'll lose Adams and McGary but have the tackle replacements playing G next year in Bain and Wattenberg. I suspect that Jaxson Kirkland will be ready to play come 2019 and it wouldn't shock me if either Mele or Curne would be ready as a RS Frosh. The upper class depth may be lacking a bit in spots but as long as Huff is able to follow up this year with another solid class next year we will be fine. We're going to have 2 pretty decent OL classes in a row - really encouraging there.

DL as a whole is a big issue in 2019. We should be fine next year. We desperately need Josiah Bronson to be a significant factor. It would not shock me if we're in the transfer market this offseason and in the graduate transfer market after the 2018 season (possibly even this season).

I'm more aligned to the idea that we can do better than Malloe. That being said, let's also see how the class ends up. Regardless it looks like we're going to have a strong class in terms of quantity with while we may not have a huge number of elite guys, we have a number of guys that project to be at worst very solid rotational players that will form a really nice core in the DL starting as early as 2020.

As it stands right now, 2019 is shaping up to be a bit of a potential rebuilding year ... we're going to be replacing Browning at QB and even though we'll have talented options to choose from, it'd be far from shocking if we'll have some growing pains there. On the OL, we won't be terrible but we'll likely be starting a RS Jr - RS Soph - Sr - RS Frosh - FR Soph along the line. It's possible to probable that we'll have some really good skill position players on offense. We should be ok in the secondary although not a complete given as we could lose a lot after next year (will lose Miller and McIntosh to graduation, could lose Rapp and Murphy to the Draft). LB is a bit of an unknown as there will be a bit of a transition in 2018 and we won't have a great view until we see how guys like Eifler are progressing as part of the rotation next year. And then obviously the DL is a bit of an issue. It could be a situation where the offense will need to outscore some teams and an 8-4 or 9-3 year is very possible. But by 2020, we should be back to being in very good shape on both sides of the ball with the offense in a position where they could be very, very elite.

You probably should
  • RhythmicSlappingDawgRhythmicSlappingDawg Member Posts: 1,176
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

guntlove said:

dnc said:

You probably should

• RhythmicSlappingDawgRhythmicSlappingDawg Member Posts: 1,176
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

guntlove said:

dnc said:

You probably should

• guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784
    dnc said:

guntlove said:

dnc said:

They were great opportunities. They won't be the only ones Pete has.

The DL might dropoff (okay, almost certainly will). But the improvement at QB, WR and OC in the coming years will make up for it and then some. OL too most likely.

Disagree.

Improvements at QB & WR aren't going to mean much if the OL they have blocking for them is total shit. And after next season, because of Strausser's recruiting, that's what's going to happen.

Huff's been a huge step up, but we're going to have the same problem at OL that we had at WR this year... except worse, because unlike WR, offensive linemen very rarely contribute their first couple of years in the program.

The exact same thing will happen on the DL starting in 2019, sooner if Levi or String get hurt next season. Our OL & DL depth and talent going forward is a fucking joke compared to the teams we aspire to compete with.

Praise allah that Petersen was smart enough to fuck-can Strausser & Pease. He needs to do the same with Malloe, and I'm confident he will. But even if/when he does... we're not going to sniff the playoffs for a bunch of years because of the massive recruiting failures on both lines during the last couple of years.
    You think Pete's leaving in the next four or five years?

I said 16 and 17 won't be Pete's only shot at an NC (the premise of this thread). It won't. A couple years of bad Strausser recruiting delays that, it doesn't change it, unless Pete laves.

I think he's here for at least 10 more years. If so, he makes the playoffs at least 2 or 3 times in that span.

GATSSYN
    Huh? Not sure where you're getting that.

If Pete stays another 10-15 years, which I totally expect & hope he will, then we'll absolutely challenge for a natty (ILTCIAN,IWILTD) in that time. Just not for several years on account of the shitty line recruiting. What I'm basically saying is, 2021 will be special.
  • guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784

Pete has a ways to go when it comes to recruiting the program changing blue chips. Definite weak spot of his coaching at the moment. He knows he needs those guys though and it’s dumb to think he is content with the weak areas of the team. I’m sure he is trying to figure out ways to improve this. Shit just doesn’t happen overnight though.

Agree with this 100%.
  • CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    Gladstone said:

You think this defense just happened by accident?

Not the point.
    Not yours, but his implication is better.

Talk a walk, or dial up Irishdoog - you need a TO
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    CaptainPJ said:

Gladstone said:

You think this defense just happened by accident?

Not the point.
    Not yours, but his implication is better.

Talk a walk, or dial up Irishdoog - you need a TO
    Get fucked.
  • BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    dnc said:

guntlove said:

dnc said:

I think he's here for at least 10 more years. If so, he makes the playoffs at least 2 or 3 times in that span.

GATSSYN

I agree. I think the playoffs will be 8 teams soon, power 5 conference champs and 3 at large bids. UW will win the Pac-12 a few more times under Petersen
  • mobeymobey Member Posts: 3,254
    haie said:

Tequilla said:

On a day of over-reaction this is at or near the top of the list

30 years from now I’ll turn to my life partner and tell him that we would have won the Nat if we wouldn’t have scored 7 points against Todd graham, 8 second half points against Stanford, called plays with a coach who would later set the record for most 0wen twelves at Beavis, recruited with crusty sodbusters and twitter illiterate USU coordinators, relied on a pasty noodle armed qb, had our best lineman blow his knee out, and sat our 2 stars on offense on the bench 70% of the tim.
    Like you'll last 30 years
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,545 Swaye's Wigwam
    mobey said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

30 years from now I’ll turn to my life partner and tell him that we would have won the Nat if we wouldn’t have scored 7 points against Todd graham, 8 second half points against Stanford, called plays with a coach who would later set the record for most 0wen twelves at Beavis, recruited with crusty sodbusters and twitter illiterate USU coordinators, relied on a pasty noodle armed qb, had our best lineman blow his knee out, and sat our 2 stars on offense on the bench 70% of the tim.
    Umm ever heard of aids cocktails asshole?
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,856
    haie said:

mobey said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

Intriguing. Tell me more
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,545 Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

mobey said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

Intriguing. Tell me more
    Axe @Tequilla @Tequilla @Tequilla