Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The Legend of Kevin Sumlin

doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
-- Kevin Sumlin is the name people keep bantering about. It makes sense. He passed on the UCF opening and fits the profile of what Oregon was looking for when it hired Willie Taggart. Sumlin is a good recruiter. He's an upgrade as a coach over Taggart. I expect he will interview. Let's place him as the early favorite.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2017/12/canzano_oregon_ducks_search_fo.html

Comments

• UWerentThereManUWerentThereMan Member Posts: 3,475
    > @GrundleStiltzkin said:
    >

Is that a turnover scepter?
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,851
    > @FremontTroll said:
    > > @GrundleStiltzkin said:
    > >
    >
    > I’ve been so mesmerized by this gif every time it’s posted that I never noticed the game situation.
    >
    > Still can’t believe they blew that lead. If ever a coach deserved to be fired on the 50 yard line...

I was in the airport when they were up by 4/5 scores then when I landed I couldn't believe it to see they had lost.

I was like what in the fuck happened?
  • AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,091 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2017
    That was a Tuff UCLA team
  • RealRhinoRealRhino Member Posts: 615
    Canzano's article just tells me Oregon is about to get it wrong again. "Oregon's contingency plan for Taggart is anchored in recruiting", "Sumlin is a good recruiter," etc.

In his own column Canzano notes the importance of recruiting by stating that guys looking for jobs are still busy forging relationships with recruits. Guys *looking for jobs*. These "good recruiters" got FIRED because they aren't good coaches. Fuck if you can recruit! As much as the TSIO guys would disagree, it's not really about recruiting. Part of it is, sure. To get from a B+ to an A+ it's about recruiting. But look at the great coaches, and they were great (generally) before they got "their guys" in place. Peterman wasn't a "great recruiter" at Boise, he was a fucking great evaluator and developer. MSU under Saban wasn't winning the recruiting natty. Tedford at a Tuff Fresno team didn't just use a time machine to recruit a whole class and turn them into seniors in one year to turn that ship around.

Les Miles recruited like a motherfucker, coaches like shit (okay, he's pretty good, but he was never going to be Saban or Urb). And so on, and so on. You need a HC that knows what the fuck he is doing, and he needs to hire *assistants* that can recruit.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

> @FremontTroll said:

> >

>

> I’ve been so mesmerized by this gif every time it’s posted that I never noticed the game situation.

>

> Still can’t believe they blew that lead. If ever a coach deserved to be fired on the 50 yard line...

I was in the airport when they were up by 4/5 scores then when I landed I couldn't believe it to see they had lost.

What's up now with the USENET circa 94 reply stylee?
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    new Vanilla technology upgrade. You like?
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter
    In VAX architecture system quote you!
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

> @FremontTroll said:

> >

>

>

This happened:

• GridironGridiron Member Posts: 508
    Who can even read this shit...
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    RealRhino said:

Canzano's article just tells me Oregon is about to get it wrong again. "Oregon's contingency plan for Taggart is anchored in recruiting", "Sumlin is a good recruiter," etc.

In his own column Canzano notes the importance of recruiting by stating that guys looking for jobs are still busy forging relationships with recruits. Guys *looking for jobs*. These "good recruiters" got FIRED because they aren't good coaches. Fuck if you can recruit! As much as the TSIO guys would disagree, it's not really about recruiting. Part of it is, sure. To get from a B+ to an A+ it's about recruiting. But look at the great coaches, and they were great (generally) before they got "their guys" in place. Peterman wasn't a "great recruiter" at Boise, he was a fucking great evaluator and developer. MSU under Saban wasn't winning the recruiting natty. Tedford at a Tuff Fresno team didn't just use a time machine to recruit a whole class and turn them into seniors in one year to turn that ship around.

Les Miles recruited like a motherfucker, coaches like shit (okay, he's pretty good, but he was never going to be Saban or Urb). And so on, and so on. You need a HC that knows what the fuck he is doing, and he needs to hire *assistants* that can recruit.

No one gives a fuck about Canzano or any of the worthless drivel he spooges. HTH.
  • GridironGridiron Member Posts: 508
    Ok, have my 3.5 on and still having trouble. Wtf