Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Lubick -- Er, Bonerpop couch update: Phil Longo edition

Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
edited December 2017 in Hardcore Husky Board
At this point we are either clearly replacing Lubick with Phil Longo and just waiting for the early signing period to finalize it, or this guy needs to be arrested for stalking. He's following every target we are serious about, a ton of our players and many of our coaches.

He got to Ole Miss last year to replace Lubick. He's an Air Raid guy. Known as a tireless recruiter, etc. My guess is he's our choice. He fits the profile of what Pete likes in coaches in that he's white.

https://twitter.com/CoachPhilLongo

Comments

• Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

At this point we are either clearly replacing Lubick with Phil Longo and just waiting for the early signing period to finalize it, or this guy needs to be arrested for stalking. He's following every target we are serious about, a ton of our players and many of our coaches.

He got to Ole Miss last year to replace Lubick. He's an Air Raid guy. Known as a tireless recruiter, etc. My guess is he's our choice. He fits the profile of what Pete likes in coaches in that he's white.

https://twitter.com/CoachPhilLongo

Never mind that shit. HERE COMES LONGO!
  • Options
    BlowItUpBlowItUp Member Posts: 877
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Or 10th coach candidate?
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Phil Longo, engineer of the nation’s best FCS offense at Sam Houston State, was tabbed as the Rebels’ offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach on December 16, 2016.

Longo helped Sam Houston to the FCS Playoffs in each of his three seasons, while shattering the record books. The 2016 team went 12-1 and boasted the nation’s No. 1 total offense (547.3 ypg), No. 2 scoring offense (49.5 ppg), No. 2 passing offense (368.3 ypg) and No. 37 rushing offense (179.0 ypg) out of 122 FCS teams. The Bearkats scored touchdowns on 80.3 percent of their red zone chances, also best in the nation.

Sam Houston had more than 4,500 passing yards and 2,000 rushing yards in 2016. No FBS team accomplished that.

In Longo’s three years on head coach K.C. Keeler’s staff, SHSU won the Southland Conference twice (2014, 2016) and compiled a 34-10 overall record. The Bearkats advanced to the semifinals of the FCS Playoffs in 2014 and 2015 and quarterfinals this year, while rising as high as No. 1 in the FCS national polls in both 2015 and 2016.

The red zone was a key area of success for Longo’s offense. Over the last three years, no FBS team has had more red zone touchdowns than the 145 scored by the Bearkats.

Despite featuring a pass-heavy attack, Longo’s units also ranked top 10 among FCS teams in rushing in both 2014 and 2015. Sam Houston produced 1,000-yard rushers in 2014 (Keshawn Hill) and 2015 (Corey Avery) and a 900-yard rusher this past season (Remus Bulmer).

In 2015, Sam Houston’s 7,975 total yards set a Southland Conference season record and ranked third all-time in NCAA Division I FCS history. The Bearkats led the nation in total offense (531.7 ypg) and first downs per game (27.6). They ranked No. 5 in scoring (41.1 ppg) and No. 9 in rushing (254.5 ypg), while also ranking 14th in third-down conversions (45.7 percent).

The 1,275 plays run by Longo’s offense in 2015 was also a league record. Three times in the past three seasons SHSU ran more than 100 plays in a game, including a school-record 118 plays in the 2015 NCAA opening-round victory over Southern Utah.

In 2014, Longo’s attack led the Southland in rushing (241.6 ypg, 9th nationally) and red zone offense (90 percent, 8th nationally).

Regarded as an outstanding recruiter and quarterbacks coach, Longo helped Bearkats QB and first team All-American Jeremiah Briscoe set a school record with 4,602 passing yards in 2016, while Sam Houston had the first two 1,000-yard receivers in school history in the form of junior Yedidiah Louis (1,152) and freshman Nathan Stewart (1,004). Briscoe led all FCS players with 57 touchdown passes (to 10 interceptions), while ranking second nationally in passing (354.0 ypg) and third in total offense (349.9 ypg).
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    The weird thing is usually coaches know each other. I'm trying to understand if there is any connection between him and Pete. The only connection I see is Lubick. Which is weird.
  • Options
    BlowItUpBlowItUp Member Posts: 877
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    he’s following everyone even the uw video guy. somethings up.
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    He coached Jordan Ta'amu and Jeremiah Briscoe, but he didn't recruit Shea Patterson. Briscoe won the Walter Payton award last year, and Ta'amu has played pretty well this year for a first-year JUCO transfer.

Complete unknown as a recruiter, but if Coach Pete thinks he can develop QBs, that's worth considering when you consider how little Browning has actually progressed despite being a 3-year starter.
  • Options
    Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    He’s white so count me out!
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    edited December 2017

He’s white rhite so count me out! in

Fixed
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183

Another possibility is that we are losing a coach that could be a recruiting coordinator... Longo has been an RB coach, too.

This is an odd situation, but I'm intrigued.

The guy is built like a brick shithouse as my dad would say....doesn't look like a WR coach.