Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Incredible stat on Husky D (stats are for losers? edition)

AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
The Husky defense is far and away the best defense in college football at not giving up "explosive plays". They have given up the 2nd fewest 10+ yard plays as a percentage of defensive snaps and they have given up far and away the fewest 20+ and 30+ yard plays.

Certainly the strength of schedule has an impact on this, but the magnitude of the lead the Huskies have on everybody else in the 20+/30+ categories tells me it isn't just about the competition.

Comments

• Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    AIRWOLF said:

The Husky defense is far and away the best defense in college football at not giving up "explosive plays". They have given up the 2nd fewest 10+ yard plays as a percentage of defensive snaps and they have given up far and away the fewest 20+ and 30+ yard plays.

Certainly the strength of schedule has an impact on this, but the magnitude of the lead the Huskies have on everybody else in the 20+/30+ categories tells me it isn't just about the competition.

cue the Pete gif talking about "it's the process"
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,031
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    1) nogaf about stats in the preseason
    2) numbers - its hard
  • Options
    Dawgs4everDawgs4ever Member Posts: 170
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    This is how a decent defense should rank after playing nothing but shitty teams for the first half of the season.
  • Options

This is how a decent defense should rank after playing nothing but shitty teams for the first half of the season.

Way better than decent.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    It looks like Northern Illinois is better than the rest of the PAC 12. I'm glad we don't have to face a defense that good this year.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Defense wins Championships
  • Options
    Bread said:

Is there advanced metrics for this? If we could toss out all the long plays where BBK or Myles Bryant were being dragged along We are probably #1 in 10+ yards.

I went through and quickly looked to see how many big plays occurred during garbage time when the 3rd and 4th unit players are logging a lot of time. It was a quick look, so it isn't definitive, but I think I only saw one 20+ yard play. There were quite a few 10+ yard plays.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    AIRWOLF said:

While we are on the topic of crazy stats:

Since Pettis took over as the primary punt returner four seasons ago, he personally has 1,132 punt return yards. Over the past four years UW has given up 260 PR yards as a team.

That's a lot of hidden yardage. Special teams matter.

I got that stat from the UW SID's Twitter. The SID office is no longer totally useless.

Just axe Vizcaino.
  • Options
    uziuzi Member Posts: 1,298
    edited October 2017
    I think strength of schedule matters a lot. So far, we've only played teams that are cupcakes or similar soft pastries.

This would be a good time to insert that GIF of Bama breaking for a 50 yard run on our D as we fail to tackle their 270 pound running back. I'm 100% confident this year's team would have the same issues.

Our D is awesome against Pac12 or similar week competition, but it isn't elite yet.
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,132
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Not that I'm buying it, but the coogs d looks pretty good on this.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,742
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

Not that I'm buying it, but the coogs d looks pretty good on this.

Mata'afa is an undersized god. Other than that, they are just small.
  • Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,982
    uzi said:

I think strength of schedule matters a lot. So far, we've only played teams that are cupcakes or similar soft pastries.

This would be a good time to insert that GIF of Bama breaking for a 50 yard run on our D as we fail to tackle their 270 pound running back. I'm 100% confident this year's team would have the same issues.

Our D is awesome against Pac12 or similar week competition, but it isn't elite yet.

disagree. The same thing that is making us look not great vs cupcakes is a big benefit vs bama. No one will be getting 50+ yard runs. they might still get 20 or 30 but BBK + Myles Bryant have gained too much experience getting dragged by mediocre running backs. Bama could break through some but they won't make it 50 yards vs our swarming defense when BBK or myles is holding onto your back leg.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    uzi said:

that was a GOOD Mercer team!
  • Options
    uziuzi Member Posts: 1,298

uzi said:

Disagree. Elite defenses give up plays to elite players, it happens. Bama scored 17 on us? Other than LSU, no other team they played could do that to them. Our defense is plenty fucking good and good enough for a natty.
    They scored all they needed to score to win. They didn't want to risk injuring their players in this scrimmage game for the NC game.