Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

top 10 every 5 years or so?

that's what those puddy asses over fagman think. And a national title chance every 10 years. What the fuck has happened to our fan base? Oregon LEGITIMATELY challenges for a national title every year, and they reside in Eugene. When did our fan base swap spots with UCLA?

Our problem isnt Ty Willy, Turd Turner or 0-12. Its our complacent, passive and pussified fanbase. I'd like to have one chance to bitch slap all those ass lickers over there. No reason to think we can't compete every year. Stanford, USC and Oregon believe. Since when has UW ever played second fiddle to Stanford or Oregons' fan base. Aside from the obvious down years

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

that's what those puddy asses over fagman think. And a national title chance every 10 years. What the fuck has happened to our fan base? Oregon LEGITIMATELY challenges for a national title every year, and they reside in Eugene. When did our fan base swap spots with UCLA?

Our problem isnt Ty Willy, Turd Turner or 0-12. Its our complacent, passive and pussified fanbase. I'd like to have one chance to bitch slap all those ass lickers over there. No reason to think we can't compete every year. Stanford, USC and Oregon believe. Since when has UW ever played second fiddle to Stanford or Oregons' fan base. Aside from the obvious down years

Welcome to 2008. The fans learned nothing from the first 0-12, which is why they need many more of them.
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Didn't you get the memo? When it comes to college football and the Husky brand, most of our friends at dawgman are stereotypically Generation Millennial packing an overdose of narcissism....... or at least enough to believe that everybody gets a trophy and to only worry about who brought the orange slices. CW especially from veteran Huskyfans and know-nothing seniors are despised because some of us know enough to realize that the only bitch-slapping and slobber-knocking that counts occurs on the gridiron and the only thing worth being disappointed about usually occurs when our guys finish a game upside down on the scoreboard.

Neither the folks at dawgman nor anywhere on the Internet are truly representative of Husky Football's fanbase,..... or at least most of that fanbase which still buys tickets and donates money to attend games live, nearly always with the expectation or anticipation that our kids will win somehow. Go to the games, feel the vibe, immerse yourself in football for 60 minutes of mayhem and afterwards, savor the victory or forget the loss as soon as possible on the commute home or sharing time with family and friends and the beverage of choice with some finger-food at a postgame tailgate, restaurant, tavern or pub.

It's not about a winning season or rankings or the level of bowl game invite until the regular season is over. It's about winning The Damn Game, one game at a time, and always having that chance to win....... at least until that chance is taken away by the final gun. Until our Huskies start beating the Oregons and other scum in the Pac-11 as well as Top Ten OOC opponents, we can only hope and take it one game at a time. Everything else is........ well, it's trophies and orange slices for one and all.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2013
    As the school has gotten tougher academically, the fan base gets more and more pussified. Not to mention, people in Washington are pretty soft to begin with.

A lot of the younger crowd are nerds who don't have a clue about how cutthroat and competitive big time college football is. Not to mention, Husky Football has sucked for the past 12 years. The kids entering UW this year probably have no memories of UW being any good.
    The blue hairs have gotten old. Some of them are wine and caviar douchebags, and some of them have no more energy to give after watching shitty football for so long.

Despite all of this, Husky fans support their program pretty well. The attendance has been pretty solid for such a marginal product being put on the field, but there is not much passion and excitement coming from the fans.

The games are not what they once were. When I was growing up, the games were electric. Now, it is more about seeing old friends and tailgating then the actual football being played.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited June 2013

I expect to be top 3-4 in the P 12 every year (I can live with being 6th once every 5-6 years), and to be a legit (I like to pretend like I'm half my age and say things like legit) Rose Bowl contenders....and to always be in the top 25, or at least ranked during the yr...no losing seasons etc.

Not to defend Fagman, but how often were we top 10 (i.e. that was our final ranking)? Maybe in '81? I know we were in '90, '91, and 2000. Historically it's been the Condoms, then us and UCLA in the west. I expect to do how well we did in the late 70s, 80s, 90s and early 2000s. RB contenders, NT contenders every 3 or 4 yrs. and always winning. Oregon will fade away.

If I'm a Doog that must DIAF for saying this, so be it.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I would take a natty every 10 years. Considering there has on'y been one in my lifetime of almost 50 years.
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I expect to be top 3-4 in the P 12 every year (I can live with being 6th once every 5-6 years), and to be a legit (I like to pretend like I'm half my age and say things like legit) Rose Bowl contenders....

Is it 1992?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiyYozeOoKs
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,922
    Founders Club

As the school has gotten tougher academically, the fan base gets more and more pussified. Not to mention, people in Washington are pretty soft to begin with.

A lot of the younger crowd are nerds who don't have a clue about how cutthroat and competitive big time college football is. Not to mention, Husky Football has sucked for the past 12 years. The kids entering UW this year probably have no memories of UW being any good.
    The blue hairs have gotten old. Some of them are wine and caviar douchebags, and some of them have no more energy to give after watching shitty football for so long.

Despite all of this, Husky fans support their program pretty well. The attendance has been pretty solid for such a marginal product being put on the field, but there is not much passion and excitement coming from the fans.

The games are not what they once were. When I was growing up, the games were electric. Now, it is more about seeing old friends and tailgating then the actual football being played.

The West Seattle Thriftway is a shining example of this statement.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,100
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

The West Seattle Thriftway is a shining example of this statement.

If we're going to start bashing the West Seattle Thriftway, I'm out.
  • Options
    TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    *ahem* It's called the Metropolitan Market HTH
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,922
    Founders Club
    Until you've roamed the aisleways of hipster douche-baggery at the West Seattle Thriftway, you're nothing but a TUFF guy hiding behind your computer screen in your mom's basement!
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,237
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited June 2013

It's about high level commitment, not academics and not the run of the mill fan. Stanford is the best academic institution on the west coast, and certainly among the most exclusive, but for a long time they have been committed to athletics in general, and at times, football specifically. They are the current reigning conference champions and appear to be in perfect position to repeat, yet they lack the kind support you'd expect of the run of the mill fan of a team of that caliber, particularly amongst their current student body.

If Udub were winning at the same clip and in the same manner as Stanford, rabid Husky fans would start to show up again (most of whom are not students) and talk of expanding the stadium would ultimately be in the air, but that will only happen when the AD and upper campus align in a way that demands excellence on the field. In my opinion, and this goes against the company line in here, I think there is reason to believe that this might be the case. There is support at the highest levels, hence the optimism, but this season will be telling. If seven win Steve and Woody both survive another seven or eight win season, then I'm dead wrong and it may be all over but the eulogy. The HC gig at Udub is again one of the best on the West Coast. At this point, there is no legitimate excuse for not being able to attract a top coach, it really boils down to expectations and competence at this point, and on that, the latter is admittedly a real question mark. We'll see what happens, but I'd like to point out that older Husky fans should remember what it was like in the late 60's through much of the 70's. Sonny Sixkiller provided some relief over that period, but prior to Moon breaking out, those were generally bad times for the Huskies. A proper coaching change was the difference, and exactly what is needed today.
  • Options
    Steve_BowmanSteve_Bowman Member Posts: 442
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Testing 1
    edited June 2013

Not to defend Fagman, but how often were we top 10 (i.e. that was our final ranking)? Maybe in '81? I know we were in '90, '91, and 2000. Historically it's been the Condoms, then us and UCLA in the west. I expect to do how well we did in the late 70s, 80s, 90s and early 2000s. RB contenders, NT contenders every 3 or 4 yrs. and always winning. Oregon will fade away.

If I'm a Doog that must DIAF for saying this, so be it.

We've been in the Top 10 more than you suspect, about six times between 1977 and 1992 plus 2000. In the BCS world we would have had a NC in 1984. That 24 year span (77 - 2000) averaged a top 10 team every 3 to 4 years. Nothing since 2000 and nothing on the horizon. RIP Washington football.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Huskies_football

• Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,536
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam