Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Poor/broke CWU trying to cobble together funds for stadium upgrades

Comments

• CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    edited August 2017
    Hopefully they never get upgrades
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    edited August 2017
    A former lineman of mine plays at Western Oregon. That's NAIA shit.

No NAIA team or a team that plays NAIA teams needs an $8 million stadium and they especially don't need a jumbotron.

There is way too much football after high school. The worst player I have ever coached in 15 years, I'm talking a 5'5 150lb ginger with two left feet and no strength made an NAIA roster.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    edited August 2017
    Western Oregon is NCAA D-2, not NAIA. They have a successful coach and program accepting many walk-on players who want to pay out of state tuition and continue playing football.

NO 5'5" 150 lb lineman ever played at Western Oregon. Ever.

You must really hate that young kid.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Mosster47 said:

A former lineman of mine plays at Western Oregon. That's NAIA shit.

No NAIA team or a team that plays NAIA teams needs an $8 million stadium and they especially don't need a jumbotron.

There is way too much football after high school. The worst player I have ever coached in 15 years, I'm talking a 5'5 150lb ginger with two left feet and no strength made an NAIA roster.

Pics?
  • ArtBrilesArtBriles Member Posts: 167
    "Poor/broke CWU trying to cobble together funds for stadium upgrades"

Not going to get much money from a shoemaker.

What a joke!
    edited August 2017
    doogie said:

Western Oregon is NCAA D-2, not NAIA. They have a successful coach and program accepting many walk-on players who want to pay out of state tuition and continue playing football.

NO 5'5" 150 lb lineman ever played at Western Oregon. Ever.

You must really hate that young kid.

He didn't play at Western, he was from AZ and played at some school in the midwest. I don't hate anyone that has played for me, but there is just way too much football after high school. Also, no one ever said he was a lineman, which he wasn't.

I know you're going to counter with all of those schools have track, basketball, etc. and you are correct. Those sports don't need 16 man coaching staffs and tons of equipment. Also, most of those kids that play at these low levels aren't very good athletes, but you are asking them to spend an extra half decade killing their body in the weight room and on the field for very little return. You can half ass track, soccer and basketball and no one cares. You can't half ass a 200lb guy smashing into you.

End rant, but these little schools everywhere with multi-million dollar stadiums and 75 fans is ridiculous and a drag on tax dollars. This isn't Texas high school football.

• ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    The only team with 75 fans would be Puget Sound which is terrible anyway. There is no drag on tax dollars. The football drag on tax dollars came from building CenturyLink Field for the Paul Allen Seahawks. Most of the kids who play at the "low level" are good athletes.
    edited August 2017

The only team with 75 fans would be Puget Sound which is terrible anyway. There is no drag on tax dollars. The football drag on tax dollars came from building CenturyLink Field for the Paul Allen Seahawks. Most of the kids who play at the "low level" are good athletes.

Bullshit. There are 105 kids on 130 D-1A programs. That's 13,650 kids at elite level. As a comparison there are a total of 5,205 D1 basketball players total out of 347 schools. Now let me blow your "they are good athletes" nonsense out of the water.

There are 124 D-1AA schools with 80 players on each. That's another 9,920 kids. There are 169 D-2 schools. Of course they can only give grants to 36 but they have a ton of walk-on's so lets say they have 55 per team. That's another 9,295 kids. There are 448, yes 448 D-3 schools, which about 250 have a football program. Again, you're looking at an average of around 50 kids per team. That's another 12,500 kids. There are 88 NAIA schools playing football. We can use that same 50 kid metric and be accurate. That's another 4,440 kids.

We might as well add this one; there are 126 JUCO programs out there. I've never seen a JUCO with less than 50 kids on the team, but let's use 50 as the average. That's another 6,300 kids.

Overall we are talking about 51,665 kids playing football after high school. When you factor is basketball, baseball, hockey, crew, golf, and T&F taking their cut out of the athlete pool do you really think the back half of these 50k+ kids are good athletes? Of course they aren't. They are kids that didn't want to stop playing and that's about it. The tax payers and fellow students shouldn't be on the hook for that. If they want to keep playing then join a local semi-pro team and pay for your hobby, because down there that's all it is.

I will add to the talent disparity argument. I had a WR play for me in Tucson that was a scholarship player at New Mexico State, which is the worst D-1A program. He barely played all four years. Just to see if he could do it, he went and walked onto the Arizona Rattlers Arena team, which is one of the best Arena teams. He scored three TD's in his first game. The talent gap between actual football players and people that just want to play football is mammoth.

NOGAF about Central football

HTH
    well, Mooster, if he doesn't care, at least has comments!
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,485 Founders Club

The Seahawks are Paul Allen's team
    Mosster47 said:

Bullshit. There are 105 kids on 130 D-1A programs. That's 13,650 kids at elite level. As a comparison there are a total of 5,205 D1 basketball players total out of 347 schools. Now let me blow your "they are good athletes" nonsense out of the water.

There are 124 D-1AA schools with 80 players on each. That's another 9,920 kids. There are 169 D-2 schools. Of course they can only give grants to 36 but they have a ton of walk-on's so lets say they have 55 per team. That's another 9,295 kids. There are 448, yes 448 D-3 schools, which about 250 have a football program. Again, you're looking at an average of around 50 kids per team. That's another 12,500 kids. There are 88 NAIA schools playing football. We can use that same 50 kid metric and be accurate. That's another 4,440 kids.

We might as well add this one; there are 126 JUCO programs out there. I've never seen a JUCO with less than 50 kids on the team, but let's use 50 as the average. That's another 6,300 kids.

Overall we are talking about 51,665 kids playing football after high school. When you factor is basketball, baseball, hockey, crew, golf, and T&F taking their cut out of the athlete pool do you really think the back half of these 50k+ kids are good athletes? Of course they aren't. They are kids that didn't want to stop playing and that's about it. The tax payers and fellow students shouldn't be on the hook for that. If they want to keep playing then join a local semi-pro team and pay for your hobby, because down there that's all it is.
    There was one huge, fat guy who literally weighed 400 pounds playing for George Fox a couple of years ago... that is the only bad athlete I've seen (and who knows, he may have been working wonders with footwork). Now, of the guys who AREN'T on the field, I can't comment on, but the athletes on the field are good. Most of the guys at CWU are successful high school guys who don't fit into the D1 profile -- too small or too white. But as far as the dedication and athletic side, I don't agree with you at all. The level of competition is pretty good. And they badly need facility upgrades.

NOGAF about Central football

HTH
    well, Mooster, if he doesn't care, at least has comments!
    My comments are they shouldn't exist.
    edited August 2017

well the public paid for his stadium is the point. Mooster is complaining about tax dollars, but that is where real money went. Small college football has almost nothing for upgrades you know. In eburg the goal posts literally are so old they tilt, the track has cracks, and the men's room urinal looks like the sink, so they need signs to prevent mishaps.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493

well the public paid for his stadium is the point. Mooster is complaining about tax dollars, but that is where real money went. Small college football has almost nothing for upgrades you know.
    Small college football should have nothing. Giving money to intermural flag football > small college football.

well the public paid for his stadium is the point. Mooster is complaining about tax dollars, but that is where real money went. Small college football has almost nothing for upgrades you know.
    Small college football should have nothing. Giving money to intermural flag football > small college football.
    well that is like just your opinion man

Mosster47 said:

There was one huge, fat guy who literally weighed 400 pounds playing for George Fox a couple of years ago... that is the only bad athlete I've seen (and who knows, he may have been working wonders with footwork). Now, of the guys who AREN'T on the field, I can't comment on, but the athletes on the field are good. Most of the guys at CWU are successful high school guys who don't fit into the D1 profile -- too small or too white. But as far as the dedication and athletic side, I don't agree with you at all. The level of competition is pretty good. And they badly need facility upgrades.
    I'm glad you mentioned George Fox. We had a kid on our team, he didn't play, he was just on our team that is actually in the rotation at George Fox. Now, you can't start for a 4A high school in the middle of nowhere Oregon, which has horrible high school football as a state, but you are good enough to play in college? GTFOutta here.

After D-1AA the majority of decent metro high school programs are better teams that their college counterparts, which isn't supposed to be the case.
    I suspect NCAA D3 does have some types like you describe, but D2 seems to have mostly good athletes as far as I have seen. A high school team would get demolished in e-burg. You've seen Linfield play I assume. They really mean business.
    also D3 schools are mostly very expensive private schools which don't have tax support. You are going to see a lot of white guys from rich families who, yes, would not be able to play elsewhere in college. But the deal is they are paying to play. Even so, a lot of schools like Linfield have ways to get quality athletes who are just too small to meet the profile of D1. D2 schools are usually "working class" or middle class kids who just don't meet the profile, again of D1. Face it, D1 recruits a certain type they deem suitable for the positions.