Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,854
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Damn- 453 replies to one subject so far. Wow.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,335
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Is 5 reasons this is a great hire in the thread?
  • Options
    priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Petersen should make Jimmy Lake the next "HC in waiting". Worked for 20 years for Hopkins. My guess is that there's some dirt under the carpet at Syracuse and Hopkins wants to get out before it's eventually discovered, as there seems to be some previous problems at SU under the current regime.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Holy shit, 40 pages about an assistant basketball coach
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    priapism said:

Petersen should make Jimmy Lake the next "HC in waiting". Worked for 20 years for Hopkins. My guess is that there's some dirt under the carpet at Syracuse and Hopkins wants to get out before it's eventually discovered, as there seems to be some previous problems at SU under the current regime.

Let's see... They had numerous violations already. The Bernie Fine scandal. The players fucking Bernie Fine's wife. No consequences for failing drug tests. Basketball office people writing papers for players.

A) I think Hopkins knew that there was a possibility he wouldn't take over when Boeheim retired. A new regime might want to start clean because of the past dirt. Not to mention they haven't played to their usual standards the past few seasons, despite making the final 4 last year.

B) Hopkins knows it's unlikely Boeheim will actually retire. He was supposed to take over next year. I'm sure he would tough it out for one more season if he was actually confident he would get the job.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-basketball/2015/3/9/8166543/syracuse-ncaa-scandal-explained-jim-boeheim
  • Options
    dongmandongman Member Posts: 2,384
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    How could you not look at Ernie Kent!
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

priapism said:

Let's see... They had numerous violations already. The Bernie Fine scandal. The players fucking Bernie Fine's wife. No consequences for failing drug tests. Basketball office people writing papers for players.

A) I think Hopkins knew that there was a possibility he wouldn't take over when Boeheim retired. A new regime might want to start clean because of the past dirt. Not to mention they haven't played to their usual standards the past few seasons, despite making the final 4 last year.

B) Hopkins knows it's unlikely Boeheim will actually retire. He was supposed to take over next year. I'm sure he would tough it out for one more season if he was actually confident he would get the job.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-basketball/2015/3/9/8166543/syracuse-ncaa-scandal-explained-jim-boeheim
    So you're saying she's the team cougar?
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,488
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2017
    It'd be funny if JB does retire and they hire a coach that plunges them into the dark ages
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Shenexon said:

Syracuse fan here. Congratulations on hiring a great coach. He's a loyal and high energy coach that has been our top recruiter for a decade, sending many players to the NBA. He was expected to take over as our HC after next year but it's rumored that Boeheim wanted to coach beyond that date. Hopkins aging dad is on the west coast and he's been linked before to opportunities to get closer to him.

Hopkins is a positive force and a player's coach. He's had other opportunities to become a head coach but has been very loyal to SU and Boeheim. He's one of our all time great guards as well, playing with great passion and energy. Some have speculated that he might return after Boeheim does retire but I believe he wants to create his own legacy now that he's leaving SU. He's previously stated that if he left, he wouldn't be back. He wants a stable environment to raise his kids.

He's a smart guy that has studied under Boeheim & coach K from Duke and knows how to recruit top ranked players. We wish him nothing but the best and expect him to make you proud. With great sadness he won't take over our program, best wishes for a great future with coach Hopkins. He's a superb choice...

Recruiting has never really been an issue here. Was he the X&O guy for Boeheim? What happened when he went 4-5 in that interim role? JB came back and immediately righted the ship. UW has been burned again and again and again and again and again by first-time head coaches, so I'll take any positives I can get.

Thanks for the post, and STAY!
  • Options
    priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

priapism said:

I just googled Fine's wife. I would have never believed that an old guy like that could get such a hot wife.
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    priapism said:

priapism said:

I just googled Fine's wife. I would have never believed that an old guy like that could get such a hot wife.
    I could pull better tail as a corpse.