Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Syracuse bored reacts to this Hopkins guy leaving [link]

2»

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Shenexon said:

Gladstone said:

Shenexon said:

Syracuse fan here. Congratulations on hiring a great coach. He's a loyal and high energy coach that has been our top recruiter for a decade, sending many players to the NBA. He was expected to take over as our HC after next year but it's rumored that Boeheim wanted to coach beyond that date. Hopkins aging dad is on the west coast and he's been linked before to opportunities to get closer to him.

Hopkins is a positive force and a player's coach. He's had other opportunities to become a head coach but has been very loyal to SU and Boeheim. He's one of our all time great guards as well, playing with great passion and energy. Some have speculated that he might return after Boeheim does retire but I believe he wants to create his own legacy now that he's leaving SU. He's previously stated that if he left, he wouldn't be back. He wants a stable environment to raise his kids.

He's a smart guy that has studied under Boeheim & coach K from Duke and knows how to recruit top ranked players. We wish him nothing but the best and expect him to make you proud. With great sadness he won't take over our program, best wishes for a great future with coach Hopkins. He's a superb choice...

Recruiting has never really been an issue here. Was he the X&O guy for Boeheim? What happened when he went 4-5 in that interim role? JB came back and immediately righted the ship. UW has been burned again and again and again and again and again by first-time head coaches, so I'll take any positives I can get.

Thanks for the post, and STAY!
    I wouldn't read too much into the 4-5 record while he filled in for Boeheim. Though we went to the final four last year, we struggled all year and were very fortunate to get there. We had several players leave early for the NBA over the previous few years and struggled for consistency, with or without Boeheim. Hopkins IS an x' s and o' s guy that has run our practices for many years. I think he'll play a deeper rotation than Boeheim who takes a lot of flak for playing about 7 or 8 guys most years.

They're both intensely competitive and is perhaps why they've been close friends for decades. I think he's leaving mainly because he wants to be a HC and Boeheim wants to Coach a while longer. Boeheim is Hopkins biggest fan and wants him to thrive as a HC as well, but it's one HC per program.

Mike's family is also on the west coast and he's wanted to be closer to them for a while. It's a good fit, but sad for many of us who saw him play, bloodied and bruised from his intense play, then loved having him as a coach.

Boeheim has been his mentor and though Boeheim gets a bad rep for being snarky with the press and the NCAA, he's also been a philanthropic force in the Syracuse community, something I believe you'll see with Hopkins. He's a positive guy that leaves optimism in his wake. We'll miss him greatly, especially after Boeheim leaves.
    Your words would normally be boner inducing for me but unfortunately my penis has been ground into paste by the last five years of husky basketball. Thanks anyway.
    NTD, BB
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Gladstone said:

Shenexon said:

Syracuse fan here. Congratulations on hiring a great coach. He's a loyal and high energy coach that has been our top recruiter for a decade, sending many players to the NBA. He was expected to take over as our HC after next year but it's rumored that Boeheim wanted to coach beyond that date. Hopkins aging dad is on the west coast and he's been linked before to opportunities to get closer to him.

Hopkins is a positive force and a player's coach. He's had other opportunities to become a head coach but has been very loyal to SU and Boeheim. He's one of our all time great guards as well, playing with great passion and energy. Some have speculated that he might return after Boeheim does retire but I believe he wants to create his own legacy now that he's leaving SU. He's previously stated that if he left, he wouldn't be back. He wants a stable environment to raise his kids.

He's a smart guy that has studied under Boeheim & coach K from Duke and knows how to recruit top ranked players. We wish him nothing but the best and expect him to make you proud. With great sadness he won't take over our program, best wishes for a great future with coach Hopkins. He's a superb choice...

Recruiting has never really been an issue here. Was he the X&O guy for Boeheim? What happened when he went 4-5 in that interim role? JB came back and immediately righted the ship. UW has been burned again and again and again and again and again by first-time head coaches, so I'll take any positives I can get.

Have we? The only ones I can think of are Lambo and Sark (and Owens if you want to go back that far). Have any of our hoops head coaches been first time? I know Harshman, Nance, Russo, Bender, and Romar weren't. I don't know much about pre Marv other than Hec Ed and Tippy Dye and I don't even know if they were rookies when they took the jerb.

• Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Gilby? yeah i was being hyperbolic i guess

edit no gilby was cal lol
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Shenexon said:

Syracuse fans are some classy mother fuckers, more so than Nebraska
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    dnc said:

Gladstone said:

Shenexon said:

Have we? The only ones I can think of are Lambo and Sark (and Owens if you want to go back that far). Have any of our hoops head coaches been first time? I know Harshman, Nance, Russo, Bender, and Romar weren't. I don't know much about pre Marv other than Hec Ed and Tippy Dye and I don't even know if they were rookies when they took the jerb.

Lambo sucked but still shared a conference title (with a come from ahead 21-21 tie with USC after blowing a 21-0 lead) and I believe we were 7-1 in 2nd place in another one of those years to Arizona State ...

Owens won 3 conference championships before failing to adapt to the times in the late 60's ... he wasn't the only coach to struggle during that time period with the changing landscape.