Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW is committed to offering candidates an annual salary between $2 million and $3 million annually

2»

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I don't think Marshall would take a pay cut ... but I don't think you have to go to a $5M level to get him

Also, if the report was that UW was prepared to pay in the $4M to $5M range ... how many coaches fit in that discussion?

Anything that comes out at this point is all speculation anyway ... Cohen sounded like she knew who she was targeting ... LIPO
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Tequilla said:

I don't think Marshall would take a pay cut ... but I don't think you have to go to a $5M level to get him

Also, if the report was that UW was prepared to pay in the $4M to $5M range ... how many coaches fit in that discussion?

Anything that comes out at this point is all speculation anyway ... Cohen sounded like she knew who she was targeting ... LIPO

Let the Marshall thing die. It's not happening.
  • Options
    section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam
    $2-3 Million with no state income tax and don't most of our head coaches get free cars and housing allowance? That may help but probably still rules out the big names unless Jen has blackmail tape on them.
  • Options
    Petersen3098Petersen3098 Member Posts: 365
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

We wouldn't pay $4-5M because that's more than we pay coach pete and I don't think the Athletic department would allow this budget when we haven't done shit in basketball for a while.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,406
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

Race was there!
    I watched that movie again a few weeks ago. Not a dry eye in the house
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646

Tequilla said:

Race was there!
    I watched that movie again a few weeks ago. Not a dry eye in the house
    Your a classy guy.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    What's Marshalls mission statement?
  • Options
    Just saw that NC State went with Keatts ... a little surprised by that given that I think they could have pulled Miller if they would have offered the right amount.

I still don't think Miller's realistic for us ... but I believe the last of his group is leaving Dayton after this year ... it's a logical number for him to jump.

Nobody is beating the Koch brothers from Marshall if it all came down to money ... so that shouldn't be the focal point for anybody pursuing him.

As for $2M to $3M for a name hire, it's a solid amount of money and definitely can get you a good coach that is Top 25 caliber. The question is how many coaches that merit that salary range are likely targets for Cohen to pursue?

As for Pete and his salary, unless I missed it I don't think he's signed anything at this point with respect to an extension. He's been focused on increasing the assistant pool. Cohen's shown a willingness to invest in the programs. I don't think Pete's compensation will ever be an issue here and what will be done will be done. Being ahead of 2016 season ticket levels already is a positive sign. I don't know how the donation project is going on but if it's going better than expected that's a positive for both coaching positions. And it definitely appears that the big money boosters are actively invested in competing at a championship level.

For one significant booster to be quoted as targeting Marshall makes me think that they have an idea of what it would take to go get him ... I doubt they'd have made that known if they were thinking that $2M to $3M was the top end of their budget.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Not going to happen until we either hire a coach not named Gregg Marshall or Gregg Marshall takes another job that isn't UW
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    Founders Club
    Saracen said:

I get the feeling most on this bored unable to wrap their head around how solid the 2-3 mil number is, because they're used to thinking in terms of football coach salaries. $2-3 mil is GOOD money for a hoops coach.

$2mil would be top-25 in the nation, top-5 in the Pac-12.

$3mil is top-10 in the nation, big time/blue blood hoops kind of pay. Marshall is a total anomaly. The only reason he gets the money he does is because of the Koch family connection to Wichita State.

Good point and probably deserved own thread.
  • Options
    Petersen3098Petersen3098 Member Posts: 365
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited March 2017
    Now that Keatts is gone, we don't have a lot of young and good mid major coaches to choose from.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Sooooo.

We're going to build a Championship Program at Washington and by showing how serious we are, we're going to pay a new coach about 75% of what the coach makes at Wichita State
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,497
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Offer 1 million tops. Use the rest for football coffee cups and coaches.

Fuck it. 100,000 tops. PGOS can be a player/coach on the team. Who gives a fuck.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,337
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,863
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Maybe one of you fucks can have a cake baked with the UW logo on it and delivered to Marshall's hotel room.

You think he'd rather have chocolate or white?

No racist crap.
  • Options
    AlCzervikAlCzervik Member Posts: 1,774
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer

Maybe one of you fucks can have a cake baked with the UW logo on it and delivered to Marshall's hotel room.

You think he'd rather have chocolate or white?

No racist crap.