Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Romar’s future still uncertain as UW administration evaluates hoops program

2»

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

dnc said:

The fact that Jennifer Cohen is still evaluating and dragging this out is almost as alarming as the fact that she hasn't fired Romar already.

thenewstribune.com/sports/college/pac-12/university-of-washington/article137606358.html

I doubt she's still evaluating like she can't make a decision. She's either a) trying to come up with the money to buy him out (which in that case she should have already found it) b) trying to convince someone important (president, boosters?) to get behind letting him go c) trying to lock in a replacement that Porter Jr will stay on bored for d) some combination of the above.

There's just no way you've gotten to the end of a 2-16 season and not know what you want to do. She wants to fire him or else she would have stood by him by now. What's holding her up is the question.
    How many days have you been a fan of Huskie athletics?
    I would guess that she wants to fire him from a basketball standpoint. But the question is whether she has the strength to do the right thing and see it through. The longer she drags it out, the worse it gets. But if she retains him, she will probably win Pac-12 AD of the Year and the Arthur Ashe Courage Award.
    I doubt it has anything to do with the strength to do the right thing and see things through ...

Cohen's I'm sure trying to balance the following:

1) On merit, Romar's fired ... 2-16 in conference with a Top 3 pick in the draft + 6 straight years missing the NCAAs

2) Current state of the budget ... the projected budget deficit is large (although I've heard it isn't going to be as bad this year as projected) ... the size of the deficits for the next 2 years are still a concern

3) The MPJ recruiting class ... given the interest in MPJ and the Hale team this past year, Cohen's likely looking at knowing that even if they suck next year (and they will) the gate receipts and interest around the program will still be high ... at minimum similar to what Fultz was this year ... IF MPJ isn't in the program and the program is gutted with Romar gone there's the potential for a gate nightmare (see #2 above)

4) Romar's buyout is $3M+ this year and drops by about $1M next year ... IF Cohen is ready to move on from Romar and just waiting for the right time she also has to consider how the buyout money can be best used by the Athletic Department ... does giving resources to the football program cover the basketball program? Does investment in Olympic Sports have any potential whether it be women's hoops (whether it is in retaining Neighbors or securing his replacement) or baseball.

5) Who is a likely replacement for Romar? What is the cost? How does that fit into the budget?

Anybody that thinks that in a vacuum that Cohen wouldn't have fired Romar yesterday is fooling themselves ... but there are SIGNIFICANT factors that she has to consider at all levels. It's not a given either way and far from an easy decision.

For as vocal as I've been about how much Romar sucks and on the merits he deserves to be fired, there's very real business reasons for Cohen to allow at least one more year play out.

What I don't think you'll ever see out of Cohen is an extension for Romar ... won't happen.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

The fact that Jennifer Cohen is still evaluating and dragging this out is almost as alarming as the fact that she hasn't fired Romar already.

thenewstribune.com/sports/college/pac-12/university-of-washington/article137606358.html

I doubt she's still evaluating like she can't make a decision. She's either a) trying to come up with the money to buy him out (which in that case she should have already found it) b) trying to convince someone important (president, boosters?) to get behind letting him go c) trying to lock in a replacement that Porter Jr will stay on bored for d) some combination of the above.

There's just no way you've gotten to the end of a 2-16 season and not know what you want to do. She wants to fire him or else she would have stood by him by now. What's holding her up is the question.
    I would guess that she wants to fire him from a basketball standpoint. But the question is whether she has the strength to do the right thing and see it through. The longer she drags it out, the worse it gets. But if she retains him, she will probably win Pac-12 AD of the Year and the Arthur Ashe Courage Award.
    I doubt it has anything to do with the strength to do the right thing and see things through ...

1) On merit, Romar's fired ... 2-16 in conference with a Top 3 pick in the draft + 6 straight years missing the NCAAs

2) Current state of the budget ... the projected budget deficit is large (although I've heard it isn't going to be as bad this year as projected) ... the size of the deficits for the next 2 years are still a concern

3) The MPJ recruiting class ... given the interest in MPJ and the Hale team this past year, Cohen's likely looking at knowing that even if they suck next year (and they will) the gate receipts and interest around the program will still be high ... at minimum similar to what Fultz was this year ... IF MPJ isn't in the program and the program is gutted with Romar gone there's the potential for a gate nightmare (see #2 above)

4) Romar's buyout is $3M+ this year and drops by about $1M next year ... IF Cohen is ready to move on from Romar and just waiting for the right time she also has to consider how the buyout money can be best used by the Athletic Department ... does giving resources to the football program cover the basketball program? Does investment in Olympic Sports have any potential whether it be women's hoops (whether it is in retaining Neighbors or securing his replacement) or baseball.

5) Who is a likely replacement for Romar? What is the cost? How does that fit into the budget?

Anybody that thinks that in a vacuum that Cohen wouldn't have fired Romar yesterday is fooling themselves ... but there are SIGNIFICANT factors that she has to consider at all levels. It's not a given either way and far from an easy decision.

For as vocal as I've been about how much Romar sucks and on the merits he deserves to be fired, there's very real business reasons for Cohen to allow at least one more year play out.

What I don't think you'll ever see out of Cohen is an extension for Romar ... won't happen.
    Disagree
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,880
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    3) - that will last about 4 games until s giant sucking sound resonates from Hec Ed. Packing out Garfield High ain't the same as filling up a big boy arena night in and night out.

A non-starter. Maybe a three or four game bump in attendance and then it becomes quite obvious it is Fultz Part Deaux.

• Options

3) - that will last about 4 games until s giant sucking sound resonates from Hec Ed. Packing out Garfield High ain't the same as filling up a big boy arena night in and night out.

A non-starter. Maybe a three or four game bump in attendance and then it becomes quite obvious it is Fultz Part Deaux.

Flagged for reading his bullshit.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,085
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    My view from the cheap seats, because I like wasting money, was that all of the boosters that normally sit in row 1, okay by all I mean Ron Crockett continued to attend every game this year. I kind of figured if guys like him were not front and center at games then Romar was doomed. With him sitting there all season, I speculate there is still life to Romar at UW. As with anything I say this could be utter bull shit as well. I mean one year, granted when the team was good, it snowed and 300 people showed up to the game and Ron Crockett made it to Hec Ed.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,085
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Actually I got the impression games were slightly better attended this year. I get the impression it was mostly to come and watch Fultz play than anything. But for such a bad team, I expected much smaller turnouts.
  • Options

Attendance was up this year with Fultz ... they even sold out the UCLA game when anybody with a basketball pulse knew that UCLA was going to blow them out of the gym
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,752
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    They obviously thought Kelsey Plum was a dude and came to see him play.
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,133
    Does the disappointment surrounding UW's record outweigh the excitement and "attendance boost" possibility of Porter Jr? Are all followers of UW bsaketball loyal enough to where they're aware of the recruiting class or are they mostly casual to the point where it doesn't matter?
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Disagree
    Insightful
  • Options
    MelloDawg said:

Does the disappointment surrounding UW's record outweigh the excitement and "attendance boost" possibility of Porter Jr? Are all followers of UW bsaketball loyal enough to where they're aware of the recruiting class or are they mostly casual to the point where it doesn't matter?

From those that I know in Seattle with an idea of what good basketball looks like won't have anything to do with going to UW hoops as long as Romar's tied to the program ... they care way more about winning and process versus individual achievement.

The balance of those that go to UW games IMO are those that are just interested in seeing players and basketball in general ... not having the NBA probably helps the attendance in that respect as guys that you know are going to be high end NBA guys in the future it's your only chance to see them in person locally.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Disagree
    Insightful
    Are you still new here?
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

They obviously thought Kelsey Plum was a dude and came to see him play.

Wait, Plum's not a dude?