Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

TSIO Episode #29: Coaching Changes and 2018 Recruiting Preview

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Great poad as always and still enjoying despite two hours of
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    89ute said:

Just finished the podcast. Looks like Swaye has a support partner in Pepsi. God speed gentlemen.

You have 28 blue chips on your roster going into this next season. (thanks again for the research on this) Assuming your prediction plays out of only adding about a half a dozen blue chips in 2018, minus graduation seniors, where do you think your blue chip numbers will be for 2018? I have no clue how many blue chippers leave your roster next year but replacing them with only 6ish probably has you standing pat at best.

Keeping in mind the guideline that it takes about 45 blue chippers to win it all, where do you see Worshington finishing 2017 and 2018?

Do you think it's possible Worshington can get to 45 blue chipers? If so, when? Do you think Worshington (or any other program for that matter) can buck the trend and win it all with a roster of something significantly less than 45 BCs?

Thanks for listening. We are now solidly expecting at least 10 listeners per pod and you are a big reason why.

So, in terms of the question, the one wild car for us right now is whether we might see any change for the future because of our record last year. My mental algorithm for who we can get and who we can't (and Coker's as well) is based off the current 'brand position' of UW. Will that change this year?

Honestly, I think - for several reasons - our market position isn't likely to change very much as a result of last year, but it's an open question. However, if we stack 2-3 seasons like this we are going to see some changes.

My guess is that, given 3 10 win seasons in a row, we will start to hit on classes where we get 12 + blue chip kind of guys. And in that case, we could see our goals reached around 2021.

I know this is CRAZY TBS-y, but the class of 2020 in the state of Washington could be one of the best ever. If, at that time, our brand position is peaking, we could really kill it.

This year is down on the west coast and down for positions of need for us. As such, I expect we will do a little worse than last year and a lot of that has to do with the fact that USC trumped us last year so we won't be beating them for anyone with any consistency. It's getting harder to recruit in Utah because of you fuckers and Oregon is going to kill it in recruiting this year.

Stanford will do their thing and so will UCLA and Cal will probably steal a kid or two. It's just a perfect storm of suck this year for us... but I could see us getting over the hump for the '19 class and then really destroy in '20.

So, TL;DR: 2023 will be special!
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Can I get this pod on iTunes and/or Stitcher?
  • Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
    Swaye's Wigwam

89ute said:

Just finished the podcast. Looks like Swaye has a support partner in Pepsi. God speed gentlemen.

You have 28 blue chips on your roster going into this next season. (thanks again for the research on this) Assuming your prediction plays out of only adding about a half a dozen blue chips in 2018, minus graduation seniors, where do you think your blue chip numbers will be for 2018? I have no clue how many blue chippers leave your roster next year but replacing them with only 6ish probably has you standing pat at best.

Keeping in mind the guideline that it takes about 45 blue chippers to win it all, where do you see Worshington finishing 2017 and 2018?

Do you think it's possible Worshington can get to 45 blue chipers? If so, when? Do you think Worshington (or any other program for that matter) can buck the trend and win it all with a roster of something significantly less than 45 BCs?

I know this is CRAZY TBS-y, but the class of 2020 in the state of Washington could be one of the best ever. If, at that time, our brand position is peaking, we could really kill it.

I'm extremely curious to know how you know that current 9th graders in Worshington could possibly be a blue chip bumper crop? Wait, make that 8th graders, since the 2017 high school class are juniors right now.

• Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    @89ute one thing to point out is the figures we brought up on the pod a few months ago was actually players recruited in the previous 5 years, not active players on the roster. So UW will have around 28 active four stars in 2017, but in that time (the 2013-2017 classes) UW has recruited 38 four star players (don't have the numbers in front of me, but that is what I remember off the top of my head); this is the number we talked about in regards to Clemson a few pods ago.
  • Options
    HHBruhHHBruh Member Posts: 497
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Can I get this pod on iTunes and/or Stitcher?

This was funny the first 27 times
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,749
    edited March 2017
    89ute said:

Depends on how many Utah kids we can get. Those, and a few last minute FY flips from the Cuogs, and we're probably in the final 4 again in 2019.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,006
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    89ute said:

89ute said:

I'm extremely curious to know how you know that current 9th graders in Worshington could possibly be a blue chip bumper crop? Wait, make that 8th graders, since the 2017 high school class are juniors right now.

Be careful. Sometimes in life there are things that are better not to know.
  • Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
    Swaye's Wigwam

89ute said:

89ute said:

Be careful. Sometimes in life there are things that are better not to know.
    Now that I re-read what I wrote I can see how it could be interpreted another way. @Dennis_DeYoung it was a genuine question about recruiting and your network.
  • Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

89ute said:

Thanks for listening. We are now solidly expecting at least 10 listeners per pod and you are a big reason why.

So, in terms of the question, the one wild car for us right now is whether we might see any change for the future because of our record last year. My mental algorithm for who we can get and who we can't (and Coker's as well) is based off the current 'brand position' of UW. Will that change this year?

Honestly, I think - for several reasons - our market position isn't likely to change very much as a result of last year, but it's an open question. However, if we stack 2-3 seasons like this we are going to see some changes.

My guess is that, given 3 10 win seasons in a row, we will start to hit on classes where we get 12 + blue chip kind of guys. And in that case, we could see our goals reached around 2021.

This year is down on the west coast and down for positions of need for us. As such, I expect we will do a little worse than last year and a lot of that has to do with the fact that USC trumped us last year so we won't be beating them for anyone with any consistency. It's getting harder to recruit in Utah because of you fuckers and Oregon is going to kill it in recruiting this year.

Stanford will do their thing and so will UCLA and Cal will probably steal a kid or two. It's just a perfect storm of suck this year for us... but I could see us getting over the hump for the '19 class and then really destroy in '20.

I think my NTL;DR takeaway is if you're a West Coast team who needs wide receivers or in the state of Oregon, it should be a banner year. If you need running backs or lineman, better luck next year.
  • Options
    So, the class of kids that are freshmen in HS, that has the potential to be the best class in the state of WA ever.

If you're asking me how I know that @89ute - I would reply with every serious TBSer knows that.

Pete offered his first FR ever in Garfield's Sav'ell Smalls (who is an insane stud). Generally the HUGE TIME kids like Budda, people know about them as frosh. So, while I don't know exactly how the class will fill out, there are already 5-6 kids in that class who seem like they will be "Big Tymers".

This year could be the best year in both the history of Oregon and Utah. It's at least up there in both.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    89ute said:

89ute said:

Mods? Mods!!
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    So for some dumbass reason a few weeks ago I said I wasn't going to drink any soda until spring ball starts for UW. Looking back on this I hate myself, but I must see it through. March 27th is going to be a shit show.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

So for some dumbass reason a few weeks ago I said I wasn't going to drink any soda until spring ball starts for UW. Looking back on this I hate myself, but I must see it through. March 27th is going to be a shit show.

Were you dropped on your head as a baby, or a few weeks ago?

Seriously, that's like Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny shit.
  • Options
    WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Great pod.

USC is going to clean up the top kids, but I think we'll be able to do well with the kids who have a great summer and are a little bit underrated at the moment. Alex Cook didn't have an offer at this time last year and ended up a borderline 4 star (depending on the site). Fingers crossed that a few of the kids that have a great spring and summer are 6'4 and 275.

Only question is for Dennis. Do you think we have a shot with Isaac Taylor-Stuart? I think he would be a great fit at DE.
  • Options
    Woof said:

Great pod.

USC is going to clean up the top kids, but I think we'll be able to do well with the kids who have a great summer and are a little bit underrated at the moment. Alex Cook didn't have an offer at this time last year and ended up a borderline 4 star (depending on the site). Fingers crossed that a few of the kids that have a great spring and summer are 6'4 and 275.

Only question is for Dennis. Do you think we have a shot with Isaac Taylor-Stuart? I think he would be a great fit at DE.

He's going to play DE with Penei Sewell who Scott Huff followed today. It's the only guy he's followed since coming to UW.

Shoot me.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    Think Huff will actually be ok, but I'm surprised with the stuff coming out on Mac/Colorado that KKKlayton Adams wasn't trying to do everything he could to jump ship to us.

Also think the ratings services and Oregon/few others will help bump our class ranking up...whenever we get a kid I expect Oregon/Utah/UCLA/Cal and even USC to come at them hard. Should move at least 2 or 3 of our "3*" up to "4*" by the end.