Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Special Ed Wants To Raise Taxes AGAIN

HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,514
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Standard Supporter
He already gave City Union Employees 12 weeks time off if they have a newborn to secure their votes in November (cost of roughly $3 million) but this takes the cake. He also has a "Homeless Czar" making $137,000 in salary alone.

How does he not realize that all of this money for the homeless encourages more homeless to move here? If you build it, they will come:

seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/mayor-ed-murray-proposes-property-tax-to-help-homeless-soda-tax-for-education/

Comments

• BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    why does an auburn resident care?
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    HFNY said:

He already gave City Union Employees 12 weeks time off if they have a newborn to secure their votes in November (cost of roughly $3 million) but this takes the cake. He also has a "Homeless Czar" making $137,000 in salary alone.

How does he not realize that all of this money for the homeless encourages more homeless to move here? If you build it, they will come:

seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/mayor-ed-murray-proposes-property-tax-to-help-homeless-soda-tax-for-education/

You think someone is overpaid at $137k a year? You sound poor.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,226
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    2001400ex said:

HFNY said:

Depends on what they're doing. IMO, that's way too much for a parasitic city government tool, especially since I'm sure that most of that salary will follow him/her/whatever the proper pronoun of the day is, in the form of a pension until death. But if the people of Seattle are okay with it, more power to them, they're free to burn as much money as they want. If enough rational people decide to LEAVE then maybe the city will have to curb its spending, or not, city government defaults aren't a new thing.
    Mosster47 said:

2001400ex said:

HFNY said:

That's what, double of the national average? Then you factor in it's a government job so the benefits usually equal close to the salary.

Spending four times the national average on a job that doesn't need to exist is overpayment.
    Your maff is wrong.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,483
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    It's what liberals do!
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited February 2017
    2001400ex said:

Mosster47 said:

2001400ex said:

HFNY said:

That's what, double of the national average? Then you factor in it's a government job so the benefits usually equal close to the salary.

Spending four times the national average on a job that doesn't need to exist is overpayment.
    Your maff is wrong.
    He might be overstating the benefits but the mean average pay in Seattle was $29.33/hr in May of 2015. Without factoring in overtime pay, that's about $60,500/year. So yes, $137k with better benefits for a homeless welfare management position is being overpaid.

My source: image

2001400ex said:

Mosster47 said:

2001400ex said:

HFNY said:

Your maff is wrong.
    He might be overstating the benefits but the mean average pay in Seattle was $29.33/hr in May of 2015. Without factoring in overtime pay, that's about $60,500/year. So yes, $137k with better benefits for a homeless welfare management position is being overpaid.

So you are saying the average Boeing worker making $29 an hour has no benefits and the person at he city has $137k a year in benefits? Um no. Their benefits packages are comparable.

I don't know the person, if they are a slacker then you can bitch about it. But $137k isn't an absurd amount of money for a qualified person. In a city where kids fresh out of college make $100k in IT.
  • CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

2001400ex said:

HFNY said:

Depends on what they're doing. IMO, that's way too much for a parasitic city government tool, especially since I'm sure that most of that salary will follow him/her/whatever the proper pronoun of the day is, in the form of a pension until death. But if the people of Seattle are okay with it, more power to them, they're free to burn as much money as they want. If enough rational people decide to LEAVE then maybe the city will have to curb its spending, or not, city government defaults aren't a new thing.
    Seattle is one the most fiscally strong cities in the country. It's bond rating is AAA. It is not defaulting on any obligation now or in the future. It's citizens, some of the most highly educated and successful people in the world, are free to spend tax dollars however they choose. You chose to marry your cousin, and participate in the dirt-eating economy in the confederacy.
  • CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

2001400ex said:

HFNY said:

Seattle is one the most fiscally strong cities in the country. It's bond rating is AAA. It is not defaulting on any obligation now or in the future. It's citizens, some of the most highly educated and successful people in the world, are free to spend tax dollars however they choose. You chose to marry your cousin, and participate in the dirt-eating economy in the confederacy.
    *its
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited February 2017
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Mosster47 said:

2001400ex said:

HFNY said:

Your maff is wrong.

So you are saying the average Boeing worker making $29 an hour has no benefits and the person at he city has $137k a year in benefits? Um no. Their benefits packages are comparable.

I don't know the person, if they are a slacker then you can bitch about it. But $137k isn't an absurd amount of money for a qualified person. In a city where kids fresh out of college make $100k in IT.
    You're right, I did not say that...you might want to read it again.
  • AlCzervikAlCzervik Member Posts: 1,774
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer

2001400ex said:

HFNY said:

Why so butthurt?
    Founders Club

If you raise my taxes Special Ed can you, at least, run the bums in tents and RV's out of town? This is getting to be re-god-damned-diculous and I'm saying this as someone who is somewhat liberal minded in terms of the welfare state.

He's not proposing raising taxes to run bums out, now is he? @HFNY stated the obvious, this will encourage more to move in, and I'm fine with that.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

If you raise my taxes Special Ed can you, at least, run the bums in tents and RV's out of town? This is getting to be re-god-damned-diculous and I'm saying this as someone who is somewhat liberal minded in terms of the welfare state.

He's not proposing raising taxes to run bums out, now is he? @HFNY stated the obvious, this will encourage more to move in, and I'm fine with that.
    I meant it more in a qui pro quo type of deal- i.e., I am ok with a tax hike if I don't have to look at bums defiling out beautiful city. But your observation "If you build it, they will come" is accurate.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    Swaye's Wigwam

2001400ex said:

HFNY said:

*its
    You sound grammatically challenged!!!!!

But you make a good point. People choose to live in Seattle knowing full well what the story is
  • RedRocketRedRocket Member Posts: 1,526
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    The homeless problem is a massive shit stain that is smeared all over Seattle. It pisses me off to no end and ruins some of the allure of working downtown. Right now this is my #1 problem with Seattle and I'm not sure if it can even be fixed at a local level.

I'm fine paying this guy $137k to be the face of trying to fix this problem. What if his solution is to start cutting benefits? What if he wants to boot out non-resident homeless? If he actually does something that improves the situation then I would be ecstatic. If he doesn't deliver results then hopefully he gets his shit pushed in by the newspapers and canned by the mayor. Part of the reason that this guy is paid over $100k is that he is fair game for public criticism and can be a scapegoat for the mayor.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I lived in a third floor walk up on 4th and Vine in 1984 and 5. It appears the poor and homeless will indeed be with us always.

It's a fine line between compassion and encouragement and for 137K a year I will tell you how to walk that line.

Red is right - this guy is going to get blistered either way
    Founders Club

I meant it more in a qui pro quo type of deal- i.e., I am ok with a tax hike if I don't have to look at bums defiling out beautiful city. But your observation "If you build it, they will come" is accurate.
    Bums have been "defiling" the city for ever. Skid row/road literally refers to Yesler Way (Mill Street in the day) in Seattle. Long after that designation and not that long ago, First Avenue from "north" of Pike to south of Pioneer Square remained a string of pawn shops, "adult" shops, grease pit cafes, and bath houses, a street lined with bums, drug addicts and prostitutes. Even today, with that area and others much cleaner, among the first things I hear from people who visit the city is surprise regarding the homeless population. It is remarkable, and not in a good way.

Seattle is a beautiful city, it always has been in my opinion, albeit a bit rougher around the edges not long ago. But it has always had serious warts, and still does. Raising taxes will transfer more power to city government, will transfer some modicum of "wealth" to the homeless and in doing so might make some feel better about themselves whilst concurrently pissing others off over wasted money, but it won't solve those problems.