Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Miami @ Virginia

Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,904
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
Combined 75 points with 3 minutes left...in the gayme

It's setting basketball back 80 years.

and p.c. BSPN has Doris Doright doing the fucking color. Jesus.

Comments

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,584
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Canes get the W. Fuck Bennett.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Are you saying that you hate Doris?

Great offensive basketball will always beat great defensive basketball.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    While not enjoyable to watch, at least bennett is trying and succeeding at a strategy. He isn't going to compete with the UNC's and Dukes at that level and has figured out a way to compete. Granted, i'd rather pitch a tent in Jonestown than watch a UVA game.

I still respect someone who's gone and done something with less, than nothing with more.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,966
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    MelloDawg said:

Combined 75 points with 3 minutes left...in the gayme

It's setting basketball back 80 years.

and p.c. BSPN has Doris Doright doing the fucking color. Jesus.

Does that mean we set basketball FORWARD 80 years because we allow the other team to score so many points? I'm with Romar!!
    Romar sucked balls vs. the Bennetts with vastly superior talent.

• Options
    edited February 2017

While not enjoyable to watch, at least bennett is trying and succeeding at a strategy. He isn't going to compete with the UNC's and Dukes at that level and has figured out a way to compete. Granted, i'd rather pitch a tent in Jonestown than watch a UVA game.

I still respect someone who's gone and done something with less, than nothing with more.

Bennett has won two regular season ACC championships and an ACC tournament. All he needs is a FInal 4 to become elite.
    I meant he's not going to convince guys who go to UNC and Duke to play at UVA all of a sudden. He's a great coach who recruits to his system. I won't be shocked to see him win a national championship there.
  • Options

Bennett has won two regular season ACC championships and an ACC tournament. All he needs is a FInal 4 to become elite.
    I meant he's not going to convince guys who go to UNC and Duke to play at UVA all of a sudden. He's a great coach who recruits to his system. I won't be shocked to see him win a national championship there.
    I would be very surprised if he won a national championship ...

The margin for error that Virginia has over 5 games (assuming that they will get a good enough seed to be able to suffocate their 1st game more often than not - although they've found themselves in some battles before) in March is so so slim ... to me it lends them to being upset too often.

What I will give is that because of the defense that they play they are good enough to be able to catch anybody on their best day and knock them off ... but until they become better offensively, they won't consistently win those upper end games.

To me, it's part of the reason why Wisconsin has in general struggled over the years except for the 2-3 years where their offensive production significantly improved with the NBA talent on their roster.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

I would be very surprised if he won a national championship ...

The margin for error that Virginia has over 5 games (assuming that they will get a good enough seed to be able to suffocate their 1st game more often than not - although they've found themselves in some battles before) in March is so so slim ... to me it lends them to being upset too often.

What I will give is that because of the defense that they play they are good enough to be able to catch anybody on their best day and knock them off ... but until they become better offensively, they won't consistently win those upper end games.

To me, it's part of the reason why Wisconsin has in general struggled over the years except for the 2-3 years where their offensive production significantly improved with the NBA talent on their roster.
    And the point isn't that they will be some sort of dynasty a la duke, unc, etc(also stated above). The point is that he could get one or two good recruits coupled with his defensive schemes to elevate a team to the top tier a la Wisconsin. It isn't all that much different of a comparison and the other UW was very close to pulling it off.
  • Options
    It's a fair point that Virginia is capable ... but given the quality of competition around them in the ACC I just find it hard to imagine that they will be able to land those recruits. In this case, location really matters.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

It's a fair point that Virginia is capable ... but given the quality of competition around them in the ACC I just find it hard to imagine that they will be able to land those recruits. In this case, location really matters.

I'd say from what we've seen in the last 5-7 years it's more likely as recruits are spreading out across the board. Christ, UW got Markelle Fultz this year for a team who hadn't been to the NCAA in 4 years. I just see college basketball getting more parity which will allow for more chances at a championship. Granted, he will still have to play a juggernaut such as UK/DUKE/UNC.

Would rather be UVA with their problems than UW with ours?
  • Options
    I think I'd actually be UW for a couple of reasons:

1) There's less competition for local recruits ... Cougs aren't a factor ... Gonzaga goes after different kids ... you have to beat out Oregon, UCLA, and Arizona primarily ... UCLA recruits mostly California whereas Oregon and Arizona tend to be a little wider in scope.

2) I do agree with you that there's the potential for guys to spread out more nationally, but the question I have is why. Fultz went to UW because he was going to get the exposure necessary to be a Top 3 pick. The narrative that he was coming to play with Murray and Chriss is a load of BS. He could have been a difference maker for a program like Virginia if he was willing to put in the work ...

3) Virginia is in an interesting place to me just because of the local competition. There's a lot of great schools in the area and a lot of high end high school players within probably a 3-4 hour radius. But EVERYBODY is recruiting there. So then it comes down to how do you differentiate yourself. The way Virginia does is through hard working defense and backward offense. That's likely not going to appeal too much to a lot of the kids in that radius.
  • Options
    If my options were UW right now or Virginia ... it's obviously Virginia.

My point on Fultz was trying to figure out what some of these guys that just are making a pit stop in college because they are going pro after one year no matter what.

I do think that there are some advantages at UW that the right coach can exploit.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Bennett ball is cancer and anyone that likes it deserves ass cancer.

But he's better than Romar!!!1!
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

If my options were UW right now or Virginia ... it's obviously Virginia.

My point on Fultz was trying to figure out what some of these guys that just are making a pit stop in college because they are going pro after one year no matter what.

I do think that there are some advantages at UW that the right coach can exploit.

The fultz recruitment and subsequent attendance to UW is one of the more baffling "wins" of the romar era. UW is in a shit conference(as a whole), on a shit network, and plays at shit times, on a team which had a low likelihood of playing when most people begin watching college basketball. And there was even less likelihood he'd be playing when everyone watches, in march. How that creates exposure for a kid is beyond me. If he's playing at Duke, Nova, Kansas or even AZ or UCLA he'd have a much better chance at walking into a large shoe contract day 1 of the draft. The kid seems great and genuine but it will always be baffling.

Porter(s) make sense because his father is making 400k a year.

#Isupportcoachromar
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

Are you saying that you hate Doris?

Great offensive basketball will always beat great defensive basketball.

She's annoying.
  • Options
    Founders Club

I'm kind of a Bennett fan actually. I made a post about a year ago saying how he's better than Romar. In terms of entertainment value though... It's like when the NBA went from 105 points a game to 88 points in the 90s. Yuck.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,966

I'm kind of a Bennett fan actually. I made a post about a year ago saying how he's better than Romar. In terms of entertainment value though... It's like when the NBA went from 105 points a game to 88 points in the 90s. Yuck.
    Fuck that. I'm down with the 90's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lAvILelIUg
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited February 2017

Fuck that. I'm down with the 90's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lAvILelIUg
    Chin'd for Get Low