Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Austin Osbourne TBS ranks overview

13»

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    edited February 2017

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

There was talk of one during the Summer that got almost universally shot down

Just looked it up, three days in mid-December. Probably doesn't alter things that much.
    I still don't understand how this will work. Are they going to keep the date the same for early entrants for the NFL draft? Because if someone starts telling their coach they're likely entering and then changes their mind, it leads to a new set of problems. I also don't think it would be fair to move up that deadline to enter the draft when some colleges are still practicing for playoffs and bowl games and such.
    Most coaches know who is leaving and who isn't ... there's a reason most guys announce pretty much the day after or whatnot from the end of their season.

I expect that the December-February period will still be tied to evaluating and securing those recruits that hit during their Senior seasons that still need to come to campus, etc. For example, the Cole Norgaard type of recruits.

I would imagine that we'll always keep at least a handful of spots available to evaluate some of those players as well as for some of the elite targets that we've missed on by December.

The bigger issue that I see will be for guys like Joe Tryon who may be tied to a mid-level school hoping for a bigger offer from a school like Washington who may not sign early and allow the process to still play out.

There are probably only 15-20 schools that are probably in a position where the guys that they have prior to December are guys that are going to 100% want to jump on board because they've already had their time to figure out what they wanted and the schools that they were considering likely all wanted them.
  • Options
    FKA_MousecopFKA_Mousecop Member Posts: 2,054
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

There was talk of one during the Summer that got almost universally shot down

Just looked it up, three days in mid-December. Probably doesn't alter things that much.
    I still don't understand how this will work. Are they going to keep the date the same for early entrants for the NFL draft? Because if someone starts telling their coach they're likely entering and then changes their mind, it leads to a new set of problems. I also don't think it would be fair to move up that deadline to enter the draft when some colleges are still practicing for playoffs and bowl games and such.
    Most coaches know who is leaving and who isn't ... there's a reason most guys announce pretty much the day after or whatnot from the end of their season.

I expect that the December-February period will still be tied to evaluating and securing those recruits that hit during their Senior seasons that still need to come to campus, etc. For example, the Cole Norgaard type of recruits.

I would imagine that we'll always keep at least a handful of spots available to evaluate some of those players as well as for some of the elite targets that we've missed on by December.
    I know that for the most part they have a general idea, but it seems like with Vea it was still up in the air. I guess a Dec-Feb recruit could still be an option for a late decision like that. I have the feeling those recruits like Norgaard will feel pressured to sign with a lesser school (like Nevada) in December too, because they might be worried that they won't have a spot at all if the college in question doesn't decide to offer them.
  • Options
    Schools like Nevada are the ones that the early signing period really won't change the situation for them on. Norgaard is a P5 level player that ends up in a non-P5 school because he falls through the cracks. Programs like Nevada advance up the MWC ladder by getting as many of those guys as possible. I can't imagine that they have the ability to go to a player like that and say sign or else. On the other hand, Norgaard if he truly believes that he's a P5 player has no reason to sign early and hold out unless he's dead set on going to the school like Nevada.

As for Vea, there will always be a handful of guys that you could see go either way. Generally speaking, my thoughts are that you recruit as if the player is leaving, communicate that to the +1 that you are recruiting letting them know the situation, and then if the player leaves you execute and accept the verbal.
  • Options
    FKA_MousecopFKA_Mousecop Member Posts: 2,054
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

Schools like Nevada are the ones that the early signing period really won't change the situation for them on. Norgaard is a P5 level player that ends up in a non-P5 school because he falls through the cracks. Programs like Nevada advance up the MWC ladder by getting as many of those guys as possible. I can't imagine that they have the ability to go to a player like that and say sign or else. On the other hand, Norgaard if he truly believes that he's a P5 player has no reason to sign early and hold out unless he's dead set on going to the school like Nevada.

As for Vea, there will always be a handful of guys that you could see go either way. Generally speaking, my thoughts are that you recruit as if the player is leaving, communicate that to the +1 that you are recruiting letting them know the situation, and then if the player leaves you execute and accept the verbal.

I guess what could happen in a similar situation is that for someone like Norgaard, they don't sign at the initial date, but keep contact with a school like Nevada in case they don't end up getting a better offer. I just feel there's a lot of grey area in it.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,839
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Is the early signing period a done deal?
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    edited February 2017

Not quite yet, implemented this coming December if it passes in April. Also, if passed in April, the 10th assistant coach could be a done deal too.
  • Options

Not quite yet, implemented this coming December if it passes in April. Also, if passed in April, the 10th assistant coach could be a done deal too.
    10th assistant may be a bigger deal for us ... Strausser help needed