Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

WRs next year

insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
edited February 2017 in Hardcore Husky Board
Looking over the roster, we have no shortage of bodies but half of them are dreck. Luckily Little and Young will be leaving after next year. Any other opportunities for early couch sales? I want to get as many Hamdan recruits on the roster as possible.

SR
Little
Pettis
Young

Jr
Lenius (redshirt)
McClatcher

Sophomore
Baccellia (redshirt)
Fuller
Pounds (redshirt)

Freshmen
Bynum
Chin (redshirt)
Cook
Jones

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    My dream is Pettis, Lenius, and Jones staring. That is one of the tallest WR groups in the conference. Hopefully Bush is able get the best out of Lenius
  • Options

My dream is Pettis, Lenius, and Jones staring. That is one of the tallest WR groups in the conference. Hopefully Bush is able get the best out of Lenius

The doog in me wants to believe that Lenius can have a Lavon Coleman type breakout year. He definitely needs to show up this spring and produce.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I think Pettis is going to be incredible next year.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Chincredible?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I can't see both Lenius and Jones starting. If Lenius has his couch repo'd and/or looks like old Lenius, then Jones could have a big role. If not, Jones' role will probably be minor, at least early on.

Chico is going to have a starting role, and Fuller will probably get the most reps at 4th WR.

Just adding one big wideout to the starting lineup and potentially another to the rotation is going to make a big difference. We were crazy small out wide last year.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I think Jones will be the #2 WR next year. He has the luxury in playing in a conference with shit secondaries to help his transition to college ball.
  • Options
    The_UndertakerThe_Undertaker Member Posts: 520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    We were not "crazy" small. Pettis and Ross are the average receiver size. There are plenty of successful teams without a stud 6-3+ receiver.
    If we get a good one, that will be a plus, but we can have success without one. We don't have to force Lenius, who by all accounts seems to not be good at football, in our lineup every offseason.
  • Options

We were not "crazy" small. Pettis and Ross are the average receiver size. There are plenty of successful teams without a stud 6-3+ receiver.
    If we get a good one, that will be a plus, but we can have success without one. We don't have to force Lenius, who by all accounts seems to not be good at football, in our lineup every offseason.

Our top 3 receivers (our base set) were listed at 6'1", 5'11" and 5'7". That's an average of 5'10" at receiver (and that's assuming Dante's really 6'1"). In 2016 that's well below average.

I'm with you on not having to force Lenius into the lineup. But we were very small at receiver last season.
  • Options
    WoofWoof Member Posts: 769

My dream is that Lenius learned how to block during his RS year. Hopefully Azeem put some feces in his throat.
  • Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,976
    If little hasn't left by now he wont unless they kick him. He here to play school.
    I don't think anyone else leaves.

Hope lenius made a ross like improvement during his redshirt.

Bynum and Cook will redshirt. No reason not to with Bettis, Mcclutchcin, Linus/T taking most the playing time and £, Fuller, italian fighting for the back ups and some young? chincredible?.

Young played as a freshman at oklohoma. he had like two weeks of practice before the season. Maybe he does something this year.
  • Options
    Bread said:

If little hasn't left by now he wont unless they kick him. He here to play school.
    I don't think anyone else leaves.

Hope lenius made a ross like improvement during his redshirt.

Bynum and Cook will redshirt. No reason not to with Bettis, Mcclutchcin, Linus/T taking most the playing time and £, Fuller, italian fighting for the back ups and some young? chincredible?.

Young played as a freshman at oklohoma. he had like two weeks of practice before the season. Maybe he does something this year.

Engrish prease
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Somebody is trying too hard to be funny
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    It's too bad Renfro had to leave, he showed some potential during his lone year here. Haven't seen much of Pounds but the coaches were high enough on him to play him as a true frosh before he got injured. He didn't do much last year but he was coming off an ACL injury. He should be 100% next year so hoping he's a surprise.

I think Jones will play for sure this year but hoping the guys currently on the roster improve enough for us to redshirt Bynum and/or Cook.
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Pettis said publicly (more than once) that he was often able to get open because Ross often drew double coverage and/or cleared out a zone.

Hopefully we can find somebody that can play Ross' role.
  • Options
    section_332section_332 Member Posts: 2,403
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    edited February 2017

WR is the most fucking overrated position there is. Fuck wide receivers.

Run the dayum ball!

Edit: ty jones is amazing tho
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088

WR is the most fucking overrated position there is. Fuck wide receivers.

Exactly. Have Hamdan and Lake
    recruit the OL and DL.
  • Options
    skinnedskinned Member Posts: 103
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Why not Alex Cook to replace JRoss next year? Not saying his level of production, but his ability to stretch the field and demand attention.

By no means am I an expert, but I think he will emerge as the best of the WR class. He's the real deal. He just plays faster than the other guys. Don't get me wrong - I like Jones and Bynum too.
  • Options
    FKA_MousecopFKA_Mousecop Member Posts: 2,054
    skinned said:

Why not Alex Cook to replace JRoss next year? Not saying his level of production, but his ability to stretch the field and demand attention.

By no means am I an expert, but I think he will emerge as the best of the WR class. He's the real deal. He just plays faster than the other guys. Don't get me wrong - I like Jones and Bynum too.

I think Jones is the most different than from what we already have on the roster. Of course Jones isn't quite as fast as Cook, but he has great long speed for a 6'4" WR. Lenius might be a solid traditional "Go up and Get 'em" type WR, but Jones will allow us to have more versatility with our looks, in my opinion.

Cook looks like a RB out there, so he might get split out wide for bubble-screens early potentially.

I like while Bynum might be the most polished in terms of route-running early, I think he ends up as a slot-guy and we seem to have a bunch of guys in a similar mold to him, even if they don't quite have his ceiling.

WR is definitely a position I Really don't mind playing as a true freshman, but it will be fun to watch unfold.