Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Seattle Times Gamesmanship: Count the Security Checks

TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
edited February 2017 in Tug Tavern
The Times wants you to think refugees undergo 20 security checks, not 3 or 4. Agenda, anyone? Refugees entering U.S. face a rigorous vetting process

Comments

• Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    It's because their IT consulting firm hoodwinked them into being convinced they have 20+ security checks that keep people from browsing their website for free in Private mode.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    That was actually a fairly accurate description of the process...unless the Trump administration is lying about it:

https://www.state.gov/j/prm/ra/admissions/
  • Options

That was actually a fairly accurate description of the process...unless the Trump administration is lying about it:

Boobs: The point is not every step in the 20 step process involved security checks and/or vetting. Only 3 or 4 did, but the times wants you to see 20.

Point whooshed you, I guess.
  • Options
    Here are all the security check steps I see in the process:

2. Interview with the U.N.
    5. Interview with State Department contractors.
    6. First background check.
    7. Higher-level background check for some.
    8. Another background check.
    9. First fingerprint screening; photo taken.
    10. Second fingerprint screening.
    11. Third fingerprint screening.
    14. Extensive, in-person interview with Homeland Security officer.
    19. Multiagency security check before leaving for the United States.
    20. Final security check at a U.S. airport.

Note: The article said nothing about 20 security checks. It lists out the 20 steps in the process...about half of them are security checks of one form or another.

You're reading way too much into this article that actually seems to prove that extreme vetting has been happening for years, which is why no refugees have committed attacks on US soil. The process is surely not perfect, but it is working.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    edited February 2017

So Syria has fingerprint database, electronic criminal records of all the normal criminals in their population, etc, etc. At the detail level it sounds great...when you take a step back a good chunk of those steps are absolutely worthless because they are impossible. There is no infrastructure in any of the countries we are taking refugees from.

And those refugee camps have their own issues. As an example...it's true Obama let in almost no Syrian Christians, but in his defense it wasn't a conscious choice. There are almost no Christisns in the refugee camps...they quit going because they were getting raped/murdered. The refugee camp populations are basically 100% Muslim, so the refugees we get are basically 100% Muslim. Sounds like a great group to pick from...
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    You don't know if any "security" issues are discussed in the interviews aside from #14, or what levels of supposed "security" are checked. It's a lot less than 20, but the Times has you suckered into believing it's a lot, so mission accomplished, even though I counted only 11 "steps" in your list, which ain't 20, by a long shot.
  • Options

You don't know if any "security" issues are discussed in the interviews aside from #14, or what levels of supposed "security" are checked. It's a lot less than 20, but the Times has you suckered into believing it's a lot, so mission accomplished, even though I counted only 11 "steps" in your list, which ain't 20, by a long shot.

I agreed that not all 20 steps are security checks.

Troomps hate reading
  • Options
    The 11 steps you did list aren't all "security" checks, including the first two interviews. Can't you recognize advocacy journalism aka propaganda when you read it?
  • Options

The 11 steps you did list aren't all "security" checks, including the first two interviews. Can't you recognize advocacy journalism aka propaganda when you read it?

So you think those interviews are just questions about what their favorite foods are?
  • Options
    edited February 2017

So you think those interviews are just questions about what their favorite foods are?
    Enlighten me, Boobs: What are the questions asked in the interviews?

Here: I'll give you lots of space to list them all.

You'll immediately believe they are "security-related" questions because the Times wants you to believe that, when you have no clue what is actually asked. Get the point yet?

If you can't see that the Times wants people to parrot "20 separate security checks" refugees go through to allay people's fears, I can't help you.
  • Options

You'll immediately believe they are "security-related" questions because the Times wants you to believe that, when you have no clue what is actually asked. Get the point yet?

If you can't see that the Times wants people to parrot "20 separate security checks" refugees go through to allay people's fears, I can't help you.
    I don't give a fuck what the Times thinks.

I think it's likely that they are security-related questions because there is no other logical topic for those interviews. I admit that I don't know what is being asked, but common sense suggests that interviews as part of a security vetting process would contain security-related questions.

If you want to think differently, that's fine. You should investigate the Bowling Green Massacre while you're at it.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

I think it's likely that they are security-related questions because there is no other logical topic for those interviews. I admit that I don't know what is being asked, but common sense suggests that interviews as part of a security vetting process would contain security-related questions.

If you want to think differently, that's fine. You should investigate the Bowling Green Massacre while you're at it.
    So, let's not assume. How about facts instead of the old "common sense" trope? Shouldn't we prefer facts to insinuations and speculation? The Times doesn't know either, but that doesn't stop them from numbering 20 items as though they are 20 separate security checks. There really isn't much to argue here.
  • Options

So, let's not assume. How about facts instead of the old "common sense" trope? Shouldn't we prefer facts to insinuations and speculation? The Times doesn't know either, but that doesn't stop them from numbering 20 items as though they are 20 separate security checks. There really isn't much to argue here.
    The article never says that. It lists steps in a vetting process (these are facts, btw). Some of them are security checks and some of them aren't.

Fuck off.
  • Options

The article never says that. It lists steps in a vetting process (these are facts, btw). Some of them are security checks and some of them aren't.

Fuck off.
    You always say that when you lose.
  • Options

Fuck off.
    Since we're trying to keep it factual, please show me where the Times is claiming there are 20 separate security checks in that article.
  • Options

Fuck off.
    Since we're trying to keep it factual, please show me where the Times is claiming there are 20 separate security checks in that article.
    Read what I wrote. Fuck you are tedious and thick.
  • Options
    BlackieBlackie Member Posts: 499
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Up Votes

Fuck off.
    Read what I wrote. Fuck you are tedious and thick.
    Appropriate that it took Boobs 7 posts for him to get you to this point.