Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

It's unfair to let Jake Browning's late season production define him (subscription)

Comments

• Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,649
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    edited February 2017
    salemcoog said:

jecornel said:

Jake sucked in big games. The problem is modern life has made humans so devoid of mental capacity that we cannot hold two ideas in our heads at one time:

1) Jake is pre-snap Jesus.
    2) Jake chokes in any pressure situation.

We don't have to let anything define anything. Both those things are true.

Next year maybe he stops choking and maybe he doesn't, but being pre-snap Jesus is unlikely to go away.

His arm won't get any stronger (for those of you new here 'strength' in arms is a metaphor - you can't lift weights to improve it, it has to do with flexibility in ligaments) and he's not going to get any bigger.

So, he is what he is. Hopefully our team is just so good we never get in a close game and Jake will do great!

You can't improve arm strength with weight training? What?

improving hand strength and forearm strength doesn't improve your ability to throw a football?

Nice troll job. You got me.

Clearly, you would make a terrible trainer.

Essentially you are saying Elway could throw the ball same in high school as he did in the NFL?
    Weight training in regards to better leg and core strength helps. But traditional upper body strength training sacrifices flexibility which is a huge component in generating velocity and distance.
    Absolutely, but training your rotator cuff, shoulder, overall body strength and conditioning all correlate to improved arm strength and distance of throwing a football.

Guess who introduced strength training to golf? Tiger fucking woods. Do you want to tell me the the distance of a golf is strictly mechanics and hip motion?

There are compotents to the golf swing that are related to the football throw.

Is Browning going to sling it like it like Ryan Leaf?

No, but he can improve his arm strength through weigth training and conditioning.

This is seriously one of the stupidest fucking topics that Browning cannot improve his game and his deep ball.

It doesn't take much science to figure out that you can improve ball velocity and distance through physical training.

If you want to say he has peaked so be it.

You can bitch about it for two more years then you can bitch that Sirmon is no pre snap genius.

A family member threw for 10,000 yards over a four period playing D-1 football. I can tell you physical conditioning was part of the progression of his career.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    jecornel said:

salemcoog said:

jecornel said:

Jake sucked in big games. The problem is modern life has made humans so devoid of mental capacity that we cannot hold two ideas in our heads at one time:

Next year maybe he stops choking and maybe he doesn't, but being pre-snap Jesus is unlikely to go away.

His arm won't get any stronger (for those of you new here 'strength' in arms is a metaphor - you can't lift weights to improve it, it has to do with flexibility in ligaments) and he's not going to get any bigger.

So, he is what he is. Hopefully our team is just so good we never get in a close game and Jake will do great!

improving hand strength and forearm strength doesn't improve your ability to throw a football?

Essentially you are saying Elway could throw the ball same in high school as he did in the NFL?
    Weight training in regards to better leg and core strength helps. But traditional upper body strength training sacrifices flexibility which is a huge component in generating velocity and distance.
    Absolutely, but training your rotator cuff, shoulder, overall body strength and conditioning all correlate to improved arm strength and distance of throwing a football.

Guess who introduced strength training to golf? Tiger fucking woods. Do you want to tell me the the distance of a golf is strictly mechanics and hip motion?

No, but he can improve his arm strength through weigth training and conditioning.

This is seriously one of the stupidest fucking topics that Browning cannot improve his game and his deep ball.

It doesn't take much science to figure out that you can improve ball velocity and distance through physical training.

You can bitch about it for two more years then you can bitch that Sirmon is no pre snap genius.

This poast defines struggle bus.

So, we are supposed to take your word for it as a dedicated observer or what has been known since 1983 in the A-PHY world? Hmmm.
  • Options

HUSKY PODCAST FIGHT!!!!!!

Disagree.

I love @jecornel - like a bar argument where people bet $100 on something stupid because they're drunk.

We don't want to tangle with the big kids. I'm just blathering on. It's not impotent to take it seriously.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,753
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    jecornel said:

salemcoog said:

jecornel said:

A family member threw for 10,000 yards over a four period playing D-1 football. I can tell you physical conditioning was part of the progression of his career.
    Bubba Watson is one of the biggest hitters on tour and He's built like Joey Ramone. It's pretty clear your brief move to Friday Harbor didn't improve your content.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    It's funny when the cuog pretends to know his ass from a hole in the ground.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,666
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    I hope Jake gets injured in the first 3 games.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Strength training matters ... but throwing a ball or making a golf swing is driven more by mechanics and the ability for fast twitches to be quick

The example of Tiger bringing weight training to golf is actually a negative to the argument ... many point to his current troubles with his back to his weight training leaving him not flexible enough for the swing he had
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,801
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

jecornel said:

Muscle strength (and more importantly a particular kind of balance between strength in muscles used in the throwing motion) has a marginal effect on throwing velocity, but the main determinant is specific types of flexibility in ligaments; and that flexibility is unaffected by training.

While there is evidence for this, it also stands to reason - if everyone could just weight-lift their way to a stronger arm, then every fucking pitcher would be throwing 100mph and every QB would have an arm like Joe Flacco.
    I can confirm this. I used to be able to throw the ball 40+ yards as a 13 year old and throw 72 mph but i tore ligaments in my throwing elbow during a football practice. My elbow's ligament growth was stunted so i have a tight arm. Now i can hardly throw the ball 35+ yards 4 years later.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,666
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

jecornel said:

Muscle strength (and more importantly a particular kind of balance between strength in muscles used in the throwing motion) has a marginal effect on throwing velocity, but the main determinant is specific types of flexibility in ligaments; and that flexibility is unaffected by training.

While there is evidence for this, it also stands to reason - if everyone could just weight-lift their way to a stronger arm, then every fucking pitcher would be throwing 100mph and every QB would have an arm like Joe Flacco.
    I can confirm this. I am a 13 year old and I can hardly throw the ball 30+ yards.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,801
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

jecornel said:

I can confirm this. I used to be able to throw the ball 40+ yards as a 13 year old and throw 72 mph but i tore ligaments in my throwing elbow during a football practice. My elbow's ligament growth was stunted so i have a tight arm. Now i can hardly throw the ball 35+ yards 4 years later.

I was orginal gunna say that.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,368
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

HUSKY PODCAST FIGHT!!!!!!

Disagree.

I love @jecornel - like a bar argument where people bet $100 on something stupid because they're drunk.

We don't want to tangle with the big kids. I'm just blathering on. It's not impotent to take it seriously.
    Why is this even being argued? I thought he just had 6 billion $ man surgery and he's coming back better no?
  • Options
    Uncle_RicoUncle_Rico Member Posts: 24
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

jecornel said:

Damn straight!
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

Strength training matters ... but throwing a ball or making a golf swing is driven more by mechanics and the ability for fast twitches to be quick

The example of Tiger bringing weight training to golf is actually a negative to the argument ... many point to his current troubles with his back to his weight training leaving him not flexible enough for the swing he had

JFC, No one gives a shit that Tiger swung so hard he broke bones in his legs.

People give a shit that he swung so hard and completely changed the game of golf. They had to "Tiger-proof" course so he wouldn't win ever week by ten or more shots.

His putter was ridiculous there for awhile too, but when a guy is hitting a wedge at the flag on every Par 4 compared to the other guys using a 7 or 8 iron it changes things.

Jack Nicklaus could keep winning majors later in life because courses were still short and technology was improving. If his short game was on he could beat anyone. Now if you don't hit the ball like a super hero you might as well stay home. Tiger will never be back because he turned golf into a sport of professional athletes.
  • Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    This thread is Chinbred.
  • Options
    Mosster47 said:

Tequilla said:

JFC, No one gives a shit that Tiger swung so hard he broke bones in his legs.

People give a shit that he swung so hard and completely changed the game of golf. They had to "Tiger-proof" course so he wouldn't win ever week by ten or more shots.

His putter was ridiculous there for awhile too, but when a guy is hitting a wedge at the flag on every Par 4 compared to the other guys using a 7 or 8 iron it changes things.

Jack Nicklaus could keep winning majors later in life because courses were still short and technology was improving. If his short game was on he could beat anyone. Now if you don't hit the ball like a super hero you might as well stay home. Tiger will never be back because he turned golf into a sport of professional athletes.
    Thank god for all this golf talk. Gave me a boner.