Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Todd Graham hates House Money

2»

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

I agree about paying them and they will come to an extent but when you're 0-12 you are 0-12. Kelly and Patterson were really hot coaching prospects at the time and could name the places they wanted to consider.

Patterson has never been anxious to leave TCU since he gets paid like a good SEC program. He campaigned for the clemson job once. He has turned down inquiries from others through the years and now theyre in the big 12 and it turns out he is average.

Kelly was basically sitting and waiting for the Notre Dame job.

Those weren't the only two coaches to go after obviously and they could have done much better and thrown money at different people (IE Graham), but there weren't a lot of people looking to jump on at our shit program.

That is Emmert's fault for allowing Deathwatch2008 to happen in the first place.
  • Options
    DonLosDonLos Member Posts: 17
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic
    I thought at the time they didn't want to back up the Brinks truck with one hand to secure a good coach and then immediately ask for public funds for a new stadium with the other.

New staduim = revenue = job security for Woodward. On field excellence is only important to some fans. To the AD the increased revenue represented in a new stadium venture would have been much more important.

I'm not sure Woodward thought the staduim would have gotten done without extending the hotel tax. Paying a good coach a ton of money, regardless of wether the salary was booster raised, would have been in the papers. The outrage over Rick's salary was palpable. I'm sure it was a factor in the process.

Now hope is that now that we have the stadium, increased revenue will be realized only through an improved product. To most of us here, that means a new coach. I think that baking up the Brinks truck makes more sense in terms of the bottom line now.

Woodward is responsible for generating the revenue. He has to show "incremental progress" too. After increases from the Pac 12 Network deal and the new stadium are simply status quo, he'll be on the hook for generating progress through victories.

I hope.

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I forgot about the stadium and asking for money too back when this was going on. That was a factor possibly but then why overpay Sark? Dick Rod is getting only $1.5 @ Zona. It never adds up.

Anyways if they don't get a good hire on the next coach it will look really bad with all the empty seats in the new stadium.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    DonLos said:

I thought at the time they didn't want to back up the Brinks truck with one hand to secure a good coach and then immediately ask for public funds for a new stadium with the other.

New staduim = revenue = job security for Woodward. On field excellence is only important to some fans. To the AD the increased revenue represented in a new stadium venture would have been much more important.

I'm not sure Woodward thought the staduim would have gotten done without extending the hotel tax. Paying a good coach a ton of money, regardless of wether the salary was booster raised, would have been in the papers. The outrage over Rick's salary was palpable. I'm sure it was a factor in the process.

Now hope is that now that we have the stadium, increased revenue will be realized only through an improved product. To most of us here, that means a new coach. I think that baking up the Brinks truck makes more sense in terms of the bottom line now.

Woodward is responsible for generating the revenue. He has to show "incremental progress" too. After increases from the Pac 12 Network deal and the new stadium are simply status quo, he'll be on the hook for generating progress through victories.

I hope.

The new stadium only works if the revenue comes in from it. Just ask Sandy Barbour about that.

#StadiumDefault
  • Options
    DonLosDonLos Member Posts: 17
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic

DonLos said:

The new stadium only works if the revenue comes in from it. Just ask Sandy Barbour about that.

#StadiumDefault
    True. Though if you're Woodward you have the benefit of knowing how well donors supported the program during 0-12. The bar is low. I think with the luxury boxes, naming of corridors, and psychodelic advertising rings the place generates significantly more revenue than recent years past even if half empty.

Of course advertisers walk if no one goes to games. But the AD knows people are going to go even when they team wins 0 games. That is a nice position to be in.

• Options
    dnc said:

I repoasted my 2008 top 5 coaching candidates over the summer at DM.c and was laughed at by a number of doogs with a bunch of "glad you weren't the one hiring our coach" type comments. They were especially derisive of Graham.

Fuck the doogs.

Jim Mora
    Brian Kelly
    Gary Patterson
    Todd Graham
    Kyle Whittingham
    Brian Kelly

Is there a single name on that list you wouldn't take over Sark without hesitation?

To answer your question Kyle Whitttingham. Has really struggled badly in the PAC-12.

The rest are much better though.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,898
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Whitingham and Patterson are both 1-4 in real conferences right now. Obviously there's a risk in hiring anyone but it's best to go with proven guys IMO.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Wittingham and Patterson dominated a conference where they had superior talent. Now they have equal or less talent and look to be average to below average.
    Wittingham for one has sucked at hiring an offensive staff.