Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Future of the pass rush

2»

Comments

• Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Addition by subtraction! The fan favorite myth

But how will we get better when Kikaha, Shelton, Peters, and Thompson leave? But how will we replace Feeney and Littleton?
    We didn't replace Feeney and Littleton. Just because the rest of the team is better doesn't mean we replaced them. Psalm starts.
    Pressing. UW was leading the nation in sacks when Mathis got hurt.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Benning is going to be very good, he flashes when he stunts and he is fucking powerful. He's already average or slightly better against the run, and he's made some great stops in that aspect.

They'll work his pass rush technique and hand usage and he'll be a really good buck for us.

And #MyTevis has started to come on a bit in the last two games, he had his best game as a Dawg against Colorado. He impressed me a lot in fall and spring practices, so I'm guessing his injury really hampered him until lately.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,980
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2016

But how will we get better when Kikaha, Shelton, Peters, and Thompson leave? But how will we replace Feeney and Littleton?
    We didn't replace Feeney and Littleton. Just because the rest of the team is better doesn't mean we replaced them. Psalm starts.
    This. A lot are dooging too hard to realize we have the nations best collection of d tackles to compensate.

things don't always work out this well. Btw. No pass rush hurt us in the USC game for those that were paying attention. Still played well enough to win but that was a glaring weakness that game. Secondary played their balls off that game.
  • Options
    KobeStanKobeStan Member Posts: 91
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    I think Bartlett is ready to breakout now it's just a matter of playing time and health.
  • Options
    KobeStanKobeStan Member Posts: 91
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Bartlett vs Colorado was by far the most productivity we've gooten from an OLB since Mathis went down
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Gladstone said:

Passion said:

We may lose a little on the line in terms of size, but I think actual pass rush could see improvement next year when redshirts start coming off. Amandre, Levi, Eifler, plus a more experience Benning and Tevis could actually be worlds better than what we have right now. We always say "but how we will be better?" and we always end up better.

I'd like to agree with you. I hesitate because Pete did not take the redshirts off of Amandre and the others you mention.

Because he was willing to play Nick Harris and Taylor Rapp (he knew they were ready), it tells me that our current crop of freshmen edge rushers were not ready, and not better than psalm, o'brien and whomever else.

Not saying the pass rush won't improve. Just wait and see.
    Shame there is no precedent for player development with this staff.

edit I'm such a doog now. Fuck.
    Who said they don't develop players? The point is that right now the it's are redshirting because they're not better than psalm and obrien, otherwise Pete would play them.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Passion said:

Gladstone said:

Passion said:

We may lose a little on the line in terms of size, but I think actual pass rush could see improvement next year when redshirts start coming off. Amandre, Levi, Eifler, plus a more experience Benning and Tevis could actually be worlds better than what we have right now. We always say "but how we will be better?" and we always end up better.

I'd like to agree with you. I hesitate because Pete did not take the redshirts off of Amandre and the others you mention.

Because he was willing to play Nick Harris and Taylor Rapp (he knew they were ready), it tells me that our current crop of freshmen edge rushers were not ready, and not better than psalm, o'brien and whomever else.

Who said they don't develop players? The point is that right now the it's are redshirting because they're not better than psalm and obrien, otherwise Pete would play them.
    ¿Qué?
  • Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Best collection of DT's in the nation.. What about Bama?
  • Options
    ExtraChrisBExtraChrisB Member Posts: 1,810
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Passion said:

Gladstone said:

Passion said:

Gaines was probably "better" than Evan Hudson in Pete's first year, but Hudson played while Gaines redshirted.
  • Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Experience often trumps raw talent.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TTJ said:

Passion said:

Petersen redshirted Gaines.

Let that one sink in a bit.
    This is the stuff we have to start grasping. Dissly played on the DL over Gaines. Beavers redshirted too. BBK did not. Players develop at different rates and Petersen does a good job at not letting them on the field until he's confident they can have success.

It's corny, but confidence is huge and can be fragile with young players. Doogs used to think throwing them out there to sink or swim was the right move. And at times it is, but each case is different.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    TTJ said:

Pressing. UW was leading the nation in sacks when Mathis got hurt.
    Yeah, but the season hadn't started yet.
  • Options
    priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    This 2017 class still needs a a high quality big DE and OT...this class would be complete with that.
    Need to steal Jaelan Phillips from UCLA. That guy would inevitably be a first round NFL pick out of UW, but will assuredly fall to the 3rd-4th round with the light powder blues.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Petersen strikes me as a guy who would burn a redshirt for the Peach Bowl if it helped win

No doubt.

Hell I'd piss on a sparkplug if I thought it would do any good.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited December 2016

priapism said:

This 2017 class still needs a a high quality big DE and OT...this class would be complete with that.
    Need to steal Jaelan Phillips from UCLA. That guy would inevitably be a first round NFL pick out of UW, but will assuredly fall to the 3rd-4th round with the light powder blues.

I honestly don't think Phillips can miss. 6'6" 250 and he's already advanced with pass rushing moves. He's as elite as they come. He might not win shit at UCLA but he will still standout.

He would be perfect at UW. It's sad that he will waste his career at UCLA playing in the Foster Farms Bowl instead of winning championships at UW.
    This.

UW's future is so bright and ahead of schedule, I can't get the UCLA love from recruits, after this UCLA season, uncertainty of the next couple seasons, etc., etc. WTF are the kids thinking?
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,867
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

TTJ said:

Passion said:

Petersen redshirted Gaines.

Let that one sink in a bit.
    This is the stuff we have to start grasping. Dissly played on the DL over Gaines. Beavers redshirted too. BBK did not. Players develop at different rates and Petersen does a good job at not letting them on the field until he's confident they can have success.

It's corny, but confidence is huge and can be fragile with young players. Doogs Sark used to think throwing them out there to sink or swim was the right move. And at times it is, but each case is different.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,762
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Gaines was listed #2 behind Shelton to start his freshman year. They played Qualls instead who was listed #3 IIRC.