Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Why CP will win big at UW, and why it will take a few years. (TLDR)

2»

Comments

• Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Never claimed to be. Also never claimed to be a Road skoller, in nearly 10,000 posts, either.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

Doogles said:

Great post. Only Tequilla could reply to a TLDR post with another TLDR post.

Posting something as TL, DR not only is FREE PUB for me but also is calling out for the master of TL, DR to contribute ...

In case you haven't heard, I'm kind of a big deal ...

axe @RaceBannon‌
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    pawz said:

Tequilla said:

Doogles said:

Posting something as TL, DR not only is FREE PUB for me but also is calling out for the master of TL, DR to contribute ...

axe @RaceBannon‌
    Don't make me take the gloves off
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

pawz said:

Tequilla said:

Doogles said:

axe @RaceBannon‌
    Don't make me take the gloves off
    The script says ....

Let's roll.
  • Options
    d2dd2d Member Posts: 3,109
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Petersen will win if he finds a QB and figures out what to do on offense. He needs to adapt. I think it's fair to question if he will fire assistants if necessary. He never had to at Boise.

I have no worries about recruiting and he's proven at developing players.

CP has a great track record of finding/developing QB's. I have no worries about that position after a couple years. Hopefully we already have an OKGQB commit or on the roster.
    BTW, GREAT UNI's
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2015
    d2d said:

Petersen will win if he finds a QB and figures out what to do on offense. He needs to adapt. I think it's fair to question if he will fire assistants if necessary. He never had to at Boise.

I have no worries about recruiting and he's proven at developing players.

CP has a great track record of finding/developing QB's. I have no worries about that position after a couple years. Hopefully we already have an OKGQB commit or on the roster.
    BTW, GREAT UNI's
    As a head coach he's had one great QB. There isn't a great long track record. I think Browning will be good, but there really isn't an extensive list of Petersen QB's.

Zabransky was there when Petersen became head coach. Then Tharps was the QB for a year. Then Kellen Moore took over. He was a great QB. Southwick the Hedricks were maybe above average. Neither was anything special. QB will be a concern until we have a great one. Good aka another Keith Price probably isn't going to cut it if we want to win the PAC 12.

The quarterback guru label is often bullshit. Sark is example #1. Jeff Tedford was considered one after Akili Smith, Harrington, Boller, and Aaron Rodgers. Then he ran out dreck at QB the rest of his time at Cal. Ricky Neu had Kordell Stewert and Detmer at Colorado before Tui and Picket at UW. His QB's at UCLA were unbelievably bad.

Point is, the rep means jack shit until we have someone playing well at QB.

*Cue some fucktard replying, "YOU ARE COMPARING PETERSEN TO SARK, TEDFORD, AND SLICK!!!11!
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2015
    Longshore was pretty good until he got hurt. I was at the OSU vs Cal game where they were ranked number 2 and #1LSU lost. They announced it over the loudspeaker and the crowd went crazy.

That was where Kevin Riley went full retard and tried to run for the TD instead of throwing the ball away and taking a chip shot fg into overtime. Complete devastation for the fanbase.

Huge upset, cost Cal there first ever #1 AP ranking, and Tedford's career never recovered. Cal Buddy was kicked out of the game by the third quarter and later got arrested for stealing a team golf cart and driving it down greek row. He was blacked out. I love my friends.
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,959
    Founders Club
    Doogles said:

Longshore was pretty good until he got hurt. I was at the OSU vs Cal game where they were ranked number 2 and #1LSU lost. They announced it over the loudspeaker and the crowd went crazy.

That was where Kevin Riley went full retard and tried to run for the TD instead of throwing the ball away and taking a chip shot fg into overtime. Complete devastation for the fanbase.

Huge upset, cost Cal there first ever #1 AP ranking, and Tedford's career never recovered. Cal Buddy was kicked out of the game by the third quarter and later got arrested for stealing a team golf cart and driving it down greek row. He was blacked out. I love my friends.

The good thing about you and your Jesbian buddies is you can marry them now.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AEB said:

Doogles said:

Hatters gon' hat you homophobe.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited January 2015
    Doogles said:

AEB said:

Doogles said:

Ha ha. Too easy. I played there with Nigel.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AEB said:

Doogles said:

AEB said:

Doogles said:

Ha ha. Too easy. I played there with Nigel.
    Carmazzi?
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited January 2015
    Matt and Gio and Disco Dan
  • Options
    Dick_BDick_B Member Posts: 1,301
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Testing 1

I agree that cp evaluates more than sark. Hopefully it pays off. I also see some guys in our class that I highly doubt that will ever contribute no matter who evaluated them to what end. Either way it will be interesting.

Please let us know who these players are, so we can make fun of you later
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Gladstone said:

tis the season for bumping old threads i guess, so in the spirit of the season:

TTJ said:

blah blah blah

@TTJ has this program on lock
    Aw shucks.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Gladstone said:

tis the season for bumping old threads i guess, so in the spirit of the season:

TTJ said:

In short, it's about the "bottom" half of each recruiting class.

As LOI day approaches, we will all be reading about "key signees" -- the couple of marquee, four- or five-guys who headline each P12 school's recruiting class. Sarkisian's classes always looked good by this measure: If you don't look beyond the "top" three or four guys in each class, his classes seemed pretty impressive. There certainly seemed to be more star power than in Willingham's classes.

Of course, this superficial view hid the lousy, desperate, "Plan B" guys who'd be grabbed in the eleventh hour to fill out these classes when most of the big names would turn UW down. It also hid the guys who were mis-evaluated, mostly as a result of laziness. (Recall Goncharoff's remark about the main difference between CP's staff and SS's: Petersen's guys wanted whole game films, not just highlight reels.)

Once you cut through the "OKG" bullshit, CP's personnel philsophy comes down to two things: (1) Scouting each recruit carefully and independently; and (2) developing each existing player such that he makes an incrementally larger contribution each year he's with the program. This approach leads to fewer "misses" and greater long-term contributions from the "bottom" half of each recruiting class.

Recruiting "misses" are deadly in this business. Any program that has lived through scholarhip restrictions knows that 85 ain't that many, and that the margin for error is small. Every time you offer a scholarship to the wrong guy, it creates a hole in your depth chart that will eventually have to get filled by some unprepared true frosh down the road. Sark was the master of "misses," as the recent survey reminds us. Everytime a true frosh gets forced onto the field too early, it leads to game-costing mistakes, career-ending injuries, and -- you guessed it -- more future holes in the depth chart that have to get filled. It's a vicious cycle, which CP must -- and I believe will -- eventually reverse. But it will take time.

Looking back in hindsight, how many true frosh can you recall playing at UW in a situation completely devoid of need? Kaufman and Bruener both played as true frosh on the '91 team, despite quality upperclassmen in their position groups. Rich Alexis earned his way onto the field in '00, despite a deep bench of veteran RBs. There is probably a small handful of other examples where UW true frosh absolutely forced their way past quality veterans and onto the field. But need is nearly always the driving force behind each decision to take off a redshirt, from Marques Tuiasosopo to Paul Arnold to Reggie Williams, on down to Shaq, ASJ, and String. Lawyer Milloy benefitted from a redshirt, and Budda Baker would have too. Honestly, what player *isn't* better at age 23 than at age 19?

I believe CP will win big at UW by missing on fewer recruits, developing the guys he has, and gradually playing fewer and fewer true freshmen. The average age of our starting lineup will eventually go way up. It will take a few years, but unlike the last guy CP is here for the long haul. And this patient, grown-up approach will pay huge dividends down the road.

@TTJ has this program on lock
    @TTJ's always been one of my favorite, classy terrorists.

Oh and one of my favorite poaster's too!