Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Our Quarterback.

PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
edited December 2016 in Hardcore Husky Board
Here is the plain truth - Jake Browning is a rhythm quarterback. He needs to get into a rhythm. When he does, he is lights out. Incredible.

However, if a defense successfully disrupts what he wants to do...if they disrupt his rhythm, he does not respond well. He unravels.

Both usc and colorado got into his face and played tight coverage against his prime targets - Ross and Pettis. Jake caved. He did not respond and adjust by hitting underneath targets or looking toward his 3rd or 4th options (Chico, Fuller, Baccellia, Daniels, Sample, Dissly, etc.). Instead, he started throwing inaccurate passes and forcing things that weren't there.

His offensive coordinator didn't help by developing schemes that allowed him to throw underneath, getting rid of the ball quick, or designing mismatches that allowed Chico to be covered by a LB or safety. Instead, UW was outcoached.

Unfortunately, alabama FEASTS off of opponents' mistakes. bama has scored 14 non-offensive TDs. Go back and watch the SEC title game, specifically the point when florida completely disintegrated. It happened because florida's QB made critical mistakes.

Here's the deal - our defense can play with alabama's offense. They can keep us in the game PROVIDED THEY ARE NOT PUT IN DIFFICULT FIELD POSITION NUMEROUS TIMES. Our running game will get stuffed initially, but I think is good enough to eventually start gaining yards as the game goes along.

The concern is Jake. Will he respond well if bama takes away his first options - if they get him out of his rhythm? Are the coaches preparing a "Plan B" to make sure he doesn't get frustrated and erratic, and starts making poor decisions? Will he get frustrated and unravel, like against colorado?

Not predicting gloom-and-doom. Nonetheless, I fear that this is how the game might play out.

Comments

• Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Out of rhythm Jake's offense still put up 34 points on Colorado. He needs to do just enough to win, but I agree that the coaching needs put him in the best position to do that.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    It's certainly a possibility.

The other possibility is that UW hits a few over the top (which is where Bama is most susceptible) and Jake goes off.

If I'm betting I think your scenario is more likely. But the one weakness on this Bama team is the secondary, and UW has the weapons to exploit that, if Jake can keep his shoes clean.

EWIWBI
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Passion said:

alumni94 said:

Out of rhythm Jake's offense still put up 34 points on Colorado. He needs to do just enough to win, but I agree that the coaching needs put him in the best position to do that.

Are you kidding me? "Jake's offense put up 34 points?" I wonder what Taylor Rapp and Ezekiel Turner would say to that.
    I removed Taylor's touchdown.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Passion said:

alumni94 said:

Are you kidding me? "Jake's offense put up 34 points?" I wonder what Taylor Rapp, Ezekiel Turner, Gaskin and Coleman would say to that. For that matter, if you're giving credit to Jake for Ross' one-handed catch and dash to the end zone, I gotta laugh.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I'm hearing that when Jake is playing well against bad defenses he does well. When Jake is playing badly against a good defense he struggles.

Just what I'm hearing out here. Don't twist.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    alumni94 said:

FUCK OFF.

We still put up 34 points!!!!! Wooohoo!!

Get the fuck out with this low standards doog bullshit.
  • Options
    alumni94 said:

Passion said:

alumni94 said:

Are you kidding me? "Jake's offense put up 34 points?" I wonder what Taylor Rapp and Ezekiel Turner would say to that.
    I removed Taylor's touchdown.
    Choke on a dick and die on your 12 flag.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    Passion said:

Are you kidding me? "Jake's offense put up 34 points?" I wonder what Taylor Rapp, Ezekiel Turner, Gaskin and Coleman would say to that. For that matter, if you're giving credit to Jake for Ross' one-handed catch and dash to the end zonepick-six, I gotta laugh.

Small edit for accuracy. But yeah.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,964
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

No question that Jake has to play the game of his career along with everyone else. Let's be real, if we win its the greatest win in program history and the least expected other than from the drug addled losers like me who post here

@RaceBannon do recall off hand what the lines were going into '78 Rose Bowl and '85 Orange Bowl? These would be our two biggest upsets in bowl games that mattered, right?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,447
    Swaye's Wigwam

No question that Jake has to play the game of his career along with everyone else. Let's be real, if we win its the greatest win in program history and the least expected other than from the drug addled losers like me who post here

@RaceBannon do recall off hand what the lines were going into '78 Rose Bowl and '85 Orange Bowl? These would be our two biggest upsets in bowl games that mattered, right?
    I do not recall the lines. The 78 Rose Bowl was a huge upset. 7-4 going against a typical over rated one loss Michigan.

Oklahoma was favored but we were like third in the country. I was very confident about that game

To me, this is the biggest challenge I can recall.
  • Options
    iDawg said:

Ross had a couple of uncharacteristic drops in the CU game. Jake wasn't the only one not on his game.

GET A FUCKING AVATAR.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,109
    Founders Club

I do not recall the lines. The 78 Rose Bowl was a huge upset. 7-4 going against a typical over rated one loss Michigan.

Oklahoma was favored but we were like third in the country. I was very confident about that game

To me, this is the biggest challenge I can recall.
    My dad says the 44-8 win over Wisconsin in the 1960 Rose Bowl was a massive shocking upset