Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Maybe J. Smith isn't a complete retard

EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,992
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
From today's Seattle times.

“We’re not going to just be going up and down the field and scoring 60, 70 points. I don’t see that coming,” UW offensive coordinator Jonathan Smith said. “So being able to stick and grind through it. But when there are plays to be made we have to make them. You’re going to get maybe half a dozen (chances at big) plays in this game against a good defense. We have to make those.”

I guess the question is "How much damage can six bad play calls create?".

Comments

• Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,092
    This is all a psychological ploy. We're airing it all game long - increasingly desperately as Colorado's CBs pick off underthrown deep balls one after another.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Mad_Son said:

This is all a psychological ploy. We're airing it all game long - increasingly desperately as Colorado's CBs pick off underthrown deep balls one after another.

this.gif
  • Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,866
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    I hope we just pound the football all game long. No throwing it...unless Gaskin wants to air it out.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,092

6 RPOs in first two drives, 2 Statue of Liberty Plays, 2 halfback passes, 5 underthrown "bombs," 3 knocked down passes, 17 horizontal routes, run or pass, 1 Cleveland Steamer and 2 Rusty Sanchezes, all resulting in 2 turnovers and 7 net yards.

And Smiff gets run over by the team plane on the Tarmack.

I'd take that as long as the last part comes true.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    TTJ said:

The persistent hard-on for "big plays" is the root cause of Smith's mediocrity. Run with conviction; throw short; avoid penalties; and concentrate on manufacturing and converting favorable down&distance situations. These are the things your players are good at, so just stick to them, and the "big plays" will come. Trust your playmakers to go get YAC on the edges; they don't need 40-yard downfield heaves.

I don't get the "Smith's mediocrity" thing. I agree that he gets too cute at times and shit the bed in the 2nd half against USC, but UW offense is #3 in PPG in college football, and a whopping .5 PPG from #1. No doubt, some play calls are head scratching, but the body of work suggests he's certainly not mediocre.
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2016
    TTJ said:

The persistent hard-on for "big plays" is the root cause of Smith's mediocrity. Run with conviction; throw short; avoid penalties; and concentrate on manufacturing and converting favorable down&distance situations. These are the things your players are good at, so just stick to them, and the "big plays" will come. Trust your playmakers to go get YAC on the edges; they don't need 40-yard downfield heaves.

Jesus. Big plays are good things. And the Huskies have been successful this season in both being incredibly efficient and explosive.

I don't think Smith is a very good playe caller overall, and I will celebrate when he is hired away, but this criticism reads like the Huskies go 3 and out all the time because they are constantly throwing deep. They don't and they aren't.

If Smith called games the way you are suggesting, there would be a huge uproar because the Huskies offense would score a lot less and would be both boring and predictable.

The USC game was a poor gameplan, executed poorly. But the rest of the season, I can't fault the mix of calls that much.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AIRWOLF said:

TTJ said:

Jesus. Big plays are good things. And the Huskies have been successful this season in both being incredibly efficient and explosive.

I don't think Smith is a very good playe caller overall, and I will celebrate when he is hired away, but this criticism reads like the Huskies go 3 and out all the time because they are constantly throwing deep. They don't and they aren't.

If Smith called games the way you are suggesting, there would be a huge uproar because the Huskies offense would score a lot less and would be both boring and predictable.

The USC game was a poor gameplan, executed poorly. But the rest of the season, I can't fault the mix of calls that much.
    Big plays are good?