Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

PM to AZDuck

dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Your relentless optimism and blind faith in the decision making abilities of your school remind me of me back in late 2008. I was so sure we were getting Mora.

Then we hired Sark.

I genuinely hope it turns out better for you guys. I like you.

One of those last two sentences is true.

Comments

• Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Well, looks like Mora wouldn't have been a home-run hire for UW anyway. To a certain extent the whole coaching thing is a crapshoot. Oregon's PKs have a better record than most.

Even the Helfrich hire makes sense in a way, in regards to Chip probably said when he left "keep the staff together for continuity's sake, they can ride Mariota to a NC." And we? got close.

Also, we? don't have UW 's "upper campus" problem. People with good track records are saying the Chipster's coming back to Eugene, and if not Chip, PJ Fleck seems like a pretty solid second choice. Nobody else whose names are floating around (Frost, Baldwin, Harsin) move the needle. And it already took over $12M to move that needle the first time. UO's AD is almost KGB-like in its secretiveness. I also think that in the long run they are willing to support losing this recruiting class to make the right hire.

I expect absolute radio silence out of Eugene from now until the hire is made.

But maybe Darren Rovell wasn't completely full of shit.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    AZDuck said:

Well, looks like Mora wouldn't have been a home-run hire for UW anyway. To a certain extent the whole coaching thing is a crapshoot. Oregon's PKs have a better record than most.

Even the Helfrich hire makes sense in a way, in regards to Chip probably said when he left "keep the staff together for continuity's sake, they can ride Mariota to a NC." And we? got close.

Also, we? don't have UW 's "upper campus" problem. People with good track records are saying the Chipster's coming back to Eugene, and if not Chip, PJ Fleck seems like a pretty solid second choice. Nobody else whose names are floating around (Frost, Baldwin, Harsin) move the needle. And it already took over $12M to move that needle the first time. UO's AD is almost KGB-like in its secretiveness. I also think that in the long run they are willing to support losing this recruiting class to make the right hire.

I expect absolute radio silence out of Eugene from now until the hire is made.

But maybe Darren Rovell wasn't completely full of shit.

"I also think that in the long run they are willing to support losing this recruiting class to make the right hire." If so your faith in the decision makers is well placed.

What did Rovell say?
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited November 2016
    Rovell said that Oregon was going to fire Helfrich and pay the new guy $10M a year. Speculated Chip Kelly (it was a couple days after Phil Knight hung out on the 49ers sideline while some team beat the everfucking shit out of them).
  • Options
    PineapplePiratePineapplePirate Member Posts: 4,012
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Rovell needs a new job where he is not having contact with other humans.