Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Everybody knows that facebook uses algorithms that gives active users priority. Trump used facebook more than Clinton so his stuff was seen more. Both knew how it worked and trump maximized the free publicity. Trump was playing chess while Hillary was playing checkers.

So I blame the game because I supported a candidate that never understood the concepts of the game in today's world. I like to do that.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,026
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Trump played the game better, and that's definitely why he won. But are we really happy with a political system that rewards spreading propaganda?

John Oliver showed a graph that basically said that 60% (40% conservative and 20% liberal) of the "news" that was shared on Facebook was bullshit. And that a surprising number of Americans now get their news exclusively through social media.

Regardless of the outcome, we should all we wary of this wave of anti-intellectualism (both sides are guilty) that has only made us dumber and more divided as a country.

I know we all like to joke about "x is your source???" but we should start taking that question more seriously.

The scary part is that people believe some of the shit that gets posted. Common sense is now a superpower.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Sledog said:

Trump played the game better, and that's definitely why he won. But are we really happy with a political system that rewards spreading propaganda?

John Oliver showed a graph that basically said that 60% (40% conservative and 20% liberal) of the "news" that was shared on Facebook was bullshit. And that a surprising number of Americans now get their news exclusively through social media.

Regardless of the outcome, we should all we wary of this wave of anti-intellectualism (both sides are guilty) that has only made us dumber and more divided as a country.

I know we all like to joke about "x is your source???" but we should start taking that question more seriously.

The scary part is that people believe some of the shit that gets posted. Common sense is now a superpower.
    I think people got hit with an overload of info and stopped bothering to verify its authenticity. And since social media is just an algorithm designed to filter info to you that you like and choose, it's easy to see how that "bad" info would further support people's beliefs and prejudices, rather than provide them with facts that inform or challenge their assumptions.

It's like how Trump would lie so much and so fast during interviews and debates that the moderators couldn't keep up with the fact checking, much less challenge him on most of it. The few times they did challenge him, he literally blamed it on having read it on the internet, end of story. He played right into that inefficiency, and he won because of it.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,726
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I like to complain about Trump spreading bullshit in the face of evidence that the DNC and the media colluded to lie their ass off starting in the primaries

Thank goodness the people don't have to rely on state media

People were smart enough not to elect Hillary. Works for me
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Sledog said:

I think people got hit with an overload of info and stopped bothering to verify its authenticity. And since social media is just an algorithm designed to filter info to you that you like and choose, it's easy to see how that "bad" info would further support people's beliefs and prejudices, rather than provide them with facts that inform or challenge their assumptions.

It's like how Trump would lie so much and so fast during interviews and debates that the moderators couldn't keep up with the fact checking, much less challenge him on most of it. The few times they did challenge him, he literally blamed it on having read it on the internet, end of story. He played right into that inefficiency, and he won because of it.
    Meh. This is just classic confirmation bias. It's telling because we want it to be telling. But these exact comments are made by players every single time there's a regime change. Sometimes they're telling, sometimes they're not. Time will tell.

Either way it will be interesting.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Triple post.....barely clothed is that coward @CirrhosisDawg
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

The New York Times admitted the national media isn't much better. There honestly isn't a credible source anymore. When the media went from reporting news to grabbing headlines and ratings they joined the group.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

The New York Times admitted the national media isn't much better. There honestly isn't a credible source anymore. When the media went from reporting news to grabbing headlines and ratings they joined the group.
    It's almost like you should read multiple sources then judge the truth.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

It's almost like you should read multiple sources then judge the truth.
    We must never judge.
  • Options
    AlCzervikAlCzervik Member Posts: 1,774
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer

Trump won because 67% of stupid people voted for him. HTH.
  • Options

I don't have Facebook because I'm straight old

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AlCzervik said:

You sound like a fag
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,026
    The media is owned by the left and they lie like rugs. It would be great if reporters went back to ethical standards instead of trying to get their candidate elected at any cost and entire news organizations dedicate themselves to their candidate.

Thank God the American people saw through the BS this time.
  • Options

AlCzervik said:

You sound like a fag
    I get bored.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    Sledog said:

The media is owned by the left and they lie like rugs. It would be great if reporters went back to ethical standards instead of trying to get their candidate elected at any cost and entire news organizations dedicate themselves to their candidate.

Thank God the American people saw through the BS this time.

You really are some kind of stupid.

And God? Really? Yes, God appreciates good hate speech.

You are the dumbest motherfucker I've ever argued with on the internet. And that says a lot.